It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love the idea of a powered suit!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by paranormal78

The Grizzley armor is pretty cool and if you combine it with the Lockheed HULC Exoskeleton system,you have a ghetto version of the G.I. Joe accelerator suit. Maybe someday we will have something like that.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by I B Dazzlin

I hope we do have something like that some day. It would help soldiers in iraq deal with road side bombings and ambushs attacks. Plus it looks cool.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Wow! I am surprised I haven't seen that Grizzly armor yet. Looks impressive and seems to have been in development for a long time.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Theprimevoyager

and if any major military would take him up on it, they could reportedly be produced for "around $2,000 apiece."

Quote Source
No Government wants to pay that amount per each soldier to put them into use. It doesn't seem like that much money when thinking about how much money is spent on military technology but it is actually quite a bit of money although I do think that they should issue this armor to the U.S. armed forces. However for just the U.S. Army, which is around 1,115,000, if you bought 1/3 of the troops this armor it would cost around $74,332,000. This is why I don't think they will be seeing any combat until they can be lowered in price.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by I B Dazzlin

Well I suppose so. But if the government reduces the availability of these power suits to high ranking special forces members or other prestigious members of the army that would be trusted with the technology. we could at least start seeing them being used in the field much sooner than we think.

edit on 25-3-2011 by paranormal78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Interesting, my thoughts: (Yea I know I'm a complete robot dork)

Cold Fusion Reactor. (That ONE thing we don't have 'yet')
+
Superfluidity.
+
Multi-function structures.
+
A large Powered Exoskeleton.
+
High Energy Liquid Lasers.
=
A robotic combat machine on steroids, it for the most part already exists just in prototype parts scattered about the scientific world.

Assuming you can make a cold fusion reactor there it is, a functional, but small battle 'mech. Capable of laser missile defense and a few large machine guns or whatever else you want to put on it, rocket cells or something. You can imagine something like this fully functional would be a massive advantage on a battle field, the combined mobility of a foot soldier with heavy anti-vehicle armament similar to a tank. I supposed the Laser system could also fire at low flying aircraft such as helicopters and even shoulder fired RPGs given it could react quickly and target heat emitting objects automatically. Advances in technology related to the fluid movement of the vehicle would naturally increase at a great rate if it proved itself sufficiently.

I think it would be mistake to plug this vehicle into an alternate battery vehicle (as opposed to carrying its own small reactor) as it could easily be targeted.

A device as expensive and powerful as this would of course be part of a larger combat force, and would serve as a secondary missile defense for that force. It effectively multiplies the destructive potential of one soldier by hundreds of times. Also, seems like it would be naturally suited for urban environments which is the case frequently in modern times. Heavy bulletproof glass meshed with sturdy armor could protect the cockpit, which may be the first place targeted, just like in every mech game you ever played.

If you are really sadistic, you could eject the reactor waste (if there is that much) into customized ammunition with radiation based anti-personnel purposes. Not really ethical or quick, but what better way to make an enemy just up and quit than to skeet radiation all over them, duke nukem style.

We humans tend to make our dreams into science fiction, and then our science fiction into reality!
Nokia's Star Trek Communicator Phone Begs to be Real

So, when do we get to play with theses:

1.bp.blogspot.com...
" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Somebody just has to have the nuts, and the money to make it happen.
edit on 25-3-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

A cold fusion reactor sounds like a good candidate for a power supply to be used in a power suit. I have studied a little. Cold fusion and it sounds like a good power source for almost anything assuming you can generate the right wattage output. I have actually seen video of home made cold fusion reactors built by people in their garage.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by elpistolero1
ok, so now we will have to learn how to kill one of these super armored soldiers too???

Depends what it is made out of, what kind of internal power plant it has(if it is powerful enough=cold plasma shield= ??????????????? good luck) and what weapon systems.

If it is metal with a really big gun, maybe some kind of medium powered laser or heating Jet + a small emp device for good measure..

Either way it would be an old fashioned Knight on steroids, with many of the same weaknesses+ a few new strengths.

Good idea, maybe in another 75 years it could really be awesome, but I don't see any of the intermediate designs being useful other than in civilian/industrial uses.

(P.S a functional micro traveling wave nuclear reactor for the win! In terms of what will power this power suit.)
edit on 26-3-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Because it´s my job doing robotics I can tell that there is less use in such a combat suit. Before you take a weak human body that easy gets killed, you would seperate them and let him wear a suit stuffed with motion sensors to remote controll it from "home".

Negatives
-Motion of robot is limited to the human skeleton wich would make it inefficient and slow
-Space/weight ratio would be bad because you have to make room for a human being and you have to stuff it with all kinds of tech wich consumes much energy and space.
-The speed would be limited to prevent the human from dying because of G-forces
etc..
and the biggest problem is the energy supply.
it´s a much better idea to use such suits for working because then you do not have the conditions of war and the energy problem would be obsolete.

but interesting indeed! I can not tell to much but at my worksite, we have some very cool things in the labor like a "suit" for arm support. I saw it, you can crush a can easily between the hands just by giving little pressure to the sensors in the inner suit or break a 4x4cm woodstick by holding it and turning your hands 90° if you hold yourself with the other (mech) arm on something because it would rotate you instead of breaking the wood

i love this job, just look at my avatar to see what I´m talking about

edit: this is a other model wich is publiced already so I can post

edit on 5-4-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Intresting stuff. But I gues it will be a while before anyone builds a practical power supply for a robotic suit. But I do like the idea of a robotic drone. it would be easer on the driver! If you have seen iorn man 2 in the seen where it shows other countries building power suits, they screw up big time on allot of the desighns. That sums it up with where we are with these things in some ways.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by paranormal78

You see, the energy is the only problem when it comes to realisation IF it´s been done the way I told (human not in robotsuit, but remote controlling). But either way I DONT want such robots for war because the WILL be used against humans because there are less countrys that can afford the cost for such robots to send in war (I think the USA will be the first ones doing it)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

guess we will see if the U.S.A. develops them first. But countries in Asia are making large leaps in power suit development. Has anyone came close to a robotic design that can replicate human motion and reaction yet that you know of?

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Oh sorry, didn´t saw your question.

Japanese female robot
It cannot walk and is connected to a computer at the back. It cannot perform work or usefull things with the little servos they used but its impressing nontheless...

this is a stage older then the one i posted before and is shown in my avatar. It uses cylinders but if you use the following ones, you can come very close to human movement. But I think you could see it anyways because a robot moves symetric and humans not. you would have to programm little random generators that differ the movement variables from move to move so that nearly every move is "unique".

would do. This fluid muscles are the best I know that can perform human-like motions. Even the Nitinolwires/muscles are not as good (powerfull at least) as the fluidmuscles.
But you have to use tons of them to replicate full movement like a human.
edit on 7-4-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

Robo DJ
edit on 7-4-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Its kinda sad that that robot cant really walk but its a good start. I like that fluid muscle idea. I suppose if you give it more time to develope you might not need to many of them.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Its possible, youre right. But for what reason? Why do we need robots that look and move 100% like humans, this is the question. I cant see a usefull exercise in it.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by I B Dazzlin

Yeah it would be easy to put some body armor on it like the project grizzley body armor.

I doubt that they will put any armor on it as it is only being thought of as aiding workers in lifting and doing strenuous jobs. In the future though who knows there could be armored exoskeleton battle suits.

This guy has definitely never seen real combat.

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Seabas1123

and is not powered

edit: link not correct
edit on 11-4-2011 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Hahahaha yeah he I would be suprised if he ever had. It just seems like there is too much going on with that suite but I'm sure that portions of the suit could be combined with existing body armor to improve them. This stuff does not look as impressive as dragon skin body armor, which is made up of small ceramic tiles.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

This sute is awsome! it would be cool if they had this in the next call of duty game that would be based in the future. I think it's kind of weird that the clock is right on the groin area of the suit. wouldnt it be easer to have it on the arm of the suit? that reminds me of that joke from one of nick swardson's stand up skeches. he was all "dude can you look at my watch?" when he had it near his groin. he got punched for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join