It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My beef with daylight savings time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I like the idea of taking advantage of the earlier dawn by doing things an hour earlier during summer.

What I don't like is the fact that we do it via collective delusion. Noon should mean that the sun is at its highest point, midnight that it is at its lowest.

I'm considering keeping all my clocks on standard time, and just adjusting my schedule around society's. So my 9-5 job becomes an 8-4 job. I would of course have to translate in my head all times said to me by others. But I would not do the reverse. I would not pre-translate times I said to others, but rather I would simply append "standard time" and let them figure it out (and explain to them what I'm doing if they can't).

Call it Daylight Savings Schedule instead of Daylight Savings Time. Same thing, but without the clock change.

I've been finding that the less mindfork in my life, the better.

edit on 13-3-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I agree with you completely, but it just seems a lot easier to change our clocks twice a year..?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
i still don't understand why we bother to be honest.... what about in parts of the world where they have sun for 6 months of a year? do they have it? how does it affect them?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
i love it in winter when it's dark at 5:00pm. i would rather have the extra hour of sunshine after work than during work.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
How could that work for only six months of the year?

Even if you don't push the clock forward 1 hour come October you would be back where you started.

Or is that just me?!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gaia.chi.au

you gotta drill down to the way our controllers think...

"if you can control the way people think about and manage their time, you pretty much control everything about them."

it is symbolic of how we follow along like sheep when we are told by somebody we never met to alter our schedules, our sleep cycles, our lives. Further, it is symptomatic of our willingness to be sheep that are led by our masters without question.

the act of "springing forward, falling back" has nothing to do with any actual reasonable purpose. they tell us what to do, and we do it. anything we have ever been told about "daylight savings" is a meaningless damnable lie.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcellante
How could that work for only six months of the year?

Even if you don't push the clock forward 1 hour come October you would be back where you started.

Or is that just me?!

I would simply move my schedule back an hour and be back on pace with everybody else.

In case you've misunderstood what I'm doing, I would not actually be changing anything except making my thoughts and words more truthful. I would still start getting up an hour earlier one Sunday in the spring, and start getting up an hour later one Sunday in the fall.

Only instead of changing my clocks, I would change my schedule. Of course that's really what we're doing when we change our clocks. We're not actually manipulating time as if we were gods or something. We're just convincing ourselves it's an hour later than it actually is. Instead of saying "Ah, it's 6:00, I need to get up now because I'm changing my schedule", we're saying "It's 7:00 already. I don't care what you say, body, instincts, internal clock, circadian rhythms. Better start convincing yourself it's 7:00 because that's what it is".

It doesn't sound like much of a difference, and that's because it isn't much of one. But it is a difference. I do believe that having your intellect on the same page as the rest of your body is healthier than mindforking yourself.

Not only healthier, but simpler. This answers those who say "wouldn't it just be easier..." etc. Of course it's easier because it's what we're used to. Just like Imperial units are easier in the US because it's what we're used to. It doesn't mean Metric isn't an actually simpler system that would make things even easier if only we got off our butts and switched to it.

It's never a bad thing to unlearn conditioning. Even if you decide to return to something which you'd formerly been conditioned to, because it turned out to be a plain superior way of doing things, you're doing it consciously this time, and therefore with much more insight than when you had simply done it because of conditioning.

One final point, it's the only way to move forward toward greater awareness of the issue of daylight savings time (I'm looking at you those who want to abolish it altogether). As they say, we must be the change we want to see in the world. Actions speak louder than words. Doing things through lobbying our masters is so 20th century. Doing things by changing ourselves, with the hope that it inspires others, is the real way to change the world.

Yes, it's a minor beef. Much ado about nothing. Hence why it was moved to Rants.

edit on 13-3-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I live in Indianapolis and we just started changing our clocks a few years ago. I absolutely dispise it! Mitch Daniels(R), who is going to make a presidential run (lmfao) made this change and put us on East Coast time. Indy is way too far west for this time zone. In the summer, it doesn't get dark until 10pm. Might be good for business but not so good for parents trying to get kids in the bath and to bed. My entire life we never changed our clocks and now when it happens I feel out of synch.

I realize this is not exactly responding to you OP but I appreciate the opportunity to vent.

The only thing certain in life is change. Just didn't think it'd be to all my damn clocks.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Here in asia we stay on the same time year round... And things run just fine without the silly time changes.. - which prior to benjamin franklin coming up with the whole silly idea in the 18th century the world stayed on the same time year round.

top topics

join