It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who CAN we trust?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by KAOStheory
...Just seems like more time is spent shooting the messengers than disecting the messages.
That's an actual question though, is there anyone new emerging that's speaking on these topics and issues lately that I may not have heard about?
edit on 13-3-2011 by KAOStheory because: spelling/added line

Learn Logical Fallacies, this is essential. Beware though of those ( often self described "skeptics" ) who in fact use these fallacies while claiming to fight them, which often happens. Along this line, reading George Orwell's ( Eric Blair ) paper on "Politics and the English Language" from 1946, helps clear up much in the way many "think". Orwell also laid out a lot in 1984. The philosophies, let alone tricks found in the story, shine light all over this thread.

For example: "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past" ~ George Orwell 1984

As to anyone new, there seems to be many new people here at ATS. Kaos you are new to me as I am to you and others here. What of the old that you may not have heard of? Are there relative aspects to this that you have not considered? To give just a few ( of many ) examples: p r firms and "how they function"... marketing and advertising... psychological operations.. journalism ( real journalism, NOT pr firm journalism ) etc etc

There's many cards in this deck, from front organizations to proxies of all shapes and sizes... Think Tanks, Foundations, NGO's and other various "groups" are merely "some" of the examples....

A few "real" journalists were the likes of George Seldes and Anthony Sutton ( NOT Woodward and Bernstein ). In the field of Conspiracy Theorists, Mae Brussels was brilliant. She was one of the best researchers you could hope for, a very brilliant mind and life.

In learning, and considering the things I've mentioned here, a better appreciation for "background" can be gained. The better the consensus, the more to reflect upon, then, the opinion comes. This is often a process more then conclusion. Though we must know that we know that we know. It's not like knowledge and sometimes "wisdom" isn't gained through all this.

Another thing to consider is that information is not facts.... information also is NOT knowledge. and Knowledge is NOT power. It is the USE of Knowledge that is power. As a brilliant Jazz musician sings ( Vince Jones ) "It's not the love of power... it's the power of love."

Unreliable Sources. a guide to detecting bias in news media. by Martin A. Lee & Norman Solomon is a most excellent book, especially for those familiar with U.S.A. history.

Sorry for such an extended post! and no Preaching is intended. But there's many "new" people for us to find here at ATS..... as an old friend used to often say.... "You never know who you are talking to...."

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Fox: don't be so so sure. Nice axes.
Seraphim: thanx I'll look into Mae Brussels, never heard of her that I can remember.
Good point about 1984, I'm sure we've all witnessed news stories dissapearing etc...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
eply to post by Doomzilla

"we all know the government doesn't care if we know the truth about most things because we're not going to do anything about it anyway."

Not entirely accurate sir. Its because we don't know what to do with the information thats why they don't care that we have it. its useless anyway unless we understand its power and how to harness it. thats really the big secret... sp they're hoping every everybody doesn't all find out at once. their confident you won't discover it... but may i say, im proof they failed. epically.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
the most important thing is the FEEDBACK, without feedback we may feel depressed. it is important to trust on people BUT be sure you only trust on them once, I think people never get a real second chance with someone..

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I think many people want to find that one person, or source that can explain everything to them. It is natural to desire someone to help you, and provide definite answers. Sadly, this person does not exist.

You cannot expect one person to do the work for you. You must read many sources, and keep a weary eye on what you read. The broader your base of knowledge the better you will become at recognizing inconsistency.

If someone makes a claim can they corroborate it? In many books statements are made with no evidence. Often they are surrounded by references to sources, but really have no base behind them.

Does the conclusion seem realistic? Oftentimes in conspiracy works evidence is molded to fit a conclusion. Look at the conclusion, and ask yourself if the evidence truly proves this.

You will never figure everything out. All you can do is sponge up as much information as possible. Some of it will turn out to be false, but you will improve in you ability to recognize the truth.

Your ability to discern truth is the only thing you can trust.

Good Luck

top topics

<< 1   >>

join