It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: Future Dystopian Society?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Let me start this off by Defining a Dystopian Society.

Dystopian Society

an often futuristic society that has degraded into a repressive and controlled state, often under the guise of being utopian. Dystopian literature has underlying cautionary tones, warning society that if we continue to live how we do, this will be the consequence. A dystopia, thus, is regarded as a sort of negative utopia and is often characterized by an authoritarian or totalitarian form of government. Dystopias usually feature different kinds of repressive social control systems, a lack or total absence of individual freedoms and expressions and constant states of warfare or violence. Dystopias often explore the concept of humans abusing technology and how humans individually and collectively cope with technology that has evolved too quickly. A dystopian society is also often characterized by widespread poverty and brutal political controls such as a large military-like police.

We currently in America are being overrun with people telling us how we should live our lives. It is becoming more and more the trend and in thing to do. What I see is more and more people in America telling us how we should live. Don't smoke, Don't eat transfats, Don't eat High Fructose Corn Syrup, and lets not forget Glucose. Granted these are all bad things and stuff that was created to make things cheaper and easier to make. In essence we have become nothing but slaves to the commercialization of America. I give you that and it is in a way Dystopian as well, and I don't argue that.

However, many people seem to think they are breaking this trend by reverting to time tested methods of organic farming etc. Which is fine and great. This is not the problem, nor do I have any problem with your choices or your beliefs. The problem comes in when these same people feel the need to impose there will on everyone else in society. My health and life choices are mine to make just as yours are yours to make. It seems to be the belief that because you know it to be a healthier life that you are obligated to enforce your healthier life on those that are not as healthy as you feel they should be.

Case in point.

1. How is it your duty or obligation to decide if I can smoke or not, exercise regularly, eat right, or watch the right shows on television. When Tipper Gore and the PMRC decided to tell us what we could and couldn't listen to did we stop listening? No but when The Powers That Be tell you that the reason your health insurance is so expensive is because of people who choose unhealthy living you all fall into line and accept it without question. It doesn't matter that you are all paying ungodly prices to line the pockets of Pharmaceutical companies, Doctors, and the Insurance Agencies.

2. They tell you that the number one cause of lung cancer and other diseases is from cigarettes, and everyone falls into line with this as if it was the gospel truth. However, there is proof that lung cancer is caused by exhaust but you surely don't see anyone calling to do away with automobiles? The irony here is tobacco and the smoking of tobacco has been around for a heck of a lot longer then cars. There is proof of a increase of lung cancer and other cancers since the invention of the car, but there isn't much proof of lung cancer and other cancers being around before the car.

3. Health Care and Health Insurance - Well this one goes back to stuff I have already covered but the most important thing here is this to me. We are being pushed into the direction of socialized medicine under the guise of fixing this problem. Instead of attempting to fix the actual problem of overcharging for insurance and doctors making up for lost money due to malpractice lawsuits. Not to mention the money they make off of drugs that are barely off the FDA approval list but the money in those doctors pockets is surely enough of a quality check for them. The government knows that you are annoyed with the price of insurance, so they play the sympathy card in order to push there own agenda of taking even more control of our lives with a one care insurance plan.

The point that I am making this is this. The newly health conscious people of America are fine and entitled to do as they do, and I offer nothing but my support. The problem comes when you begin to tell me and others what we should or shouldn't do. Then along with the government come up with more and more laws to push your beliefs on everyone else. While at the same time no one stops to think about the things they don't want to give up, and more and more people just find more and more reasons to ignore the things that would actually affect themselves.

I am all for the environment and a healthier world don't get me wrong. What I am not supportive of nor will I tolerate without a fight is a totalitarian dictatorship of what I can and cannot do with my life. If I want to smoke then by all means I should be able to smoke just as you should be able to freely choose to pay outrageously high prices for organic food that should be available the same rates as the non-organic. The most intriguing thing to me is that Organic is the new market and it is being exploited just like the commercially produced stuff was. I have a hard time seeing how it is more expensive and harder to make Organic Foods then it is to use all the chemicals and commercial applications. I mean growing a garden is time tested and true. I can plant tomatoes in my front yard, water them, care for them and have tomatoes. So why should I have to pay 3.00 for a Organic tomato vs 1.00 for the same tomato where they spend more money to maintain? It just doesn't make sense to me.

This is just my opinion but when you start telling others how to live there lives then you are no different then the government trying to run our lives.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I keep suggesting we take over the planet, ethically, peacefully and with loving intent. How? you may ask...

Please visit The End of Entropy (read first - it is the foundation) and The Ethical Planetarian Party Platform (the structure built on the foundation), linked in my sig.

OP, you did a very good job of analyzing the ills of this present scarcity paradigm. What we need is an abundance paradigm.

EDIT to add: In 50+ years of testing pure organic tobacco on cancer-prone rodents, not one has defined a link between cancer and tobacco. If one adds the carcinogenic stuff they saturate the tobacco in, the radioactive "fertilizer" they mandate to be used, the fiberglass (known carcinogen) filters... Heh. Yeah. Smoking probably DOES cause cancer.

Why did this whole thing start? To cover for the cancers that began cropping up after the Trinity device was exploded in the upper atmosphere. Don't want the weapons testing to be cut short.

Why is it perpetuated? It's awesome, it would seem, for dividing people, thereby that they may be conquered.
edit on 3/13/2011 by Amaterasu because: add

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Well it would seem that people here on ATS are not keen on reading into this one, maybe because the truth of it is a bit to close to home?

Thanks for the input of my only reply I have been reading up on your stuff thanks for the info and it looks good so far. I will seen you a U2U when I am done and let you know my thoughts on it all.

join