It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuke industry spin: Be "reassured" by Japan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Nuke industry spin: Be "reassured" by Japan

www.salon.com

As Japan struggles to contain a growing nuclear crisis -- with more than 200,000 people evacuated, an explosion at one power plant, and possible meltdowns in several reactors -- the American nuclear industry faces a different challenge: how to position itself in the intense public-relations battle that has already started.

This morning I interviewed a spokesman for the Nuclear Energy Institute, the industry trade group, to get a sense of the message being pushed by an industry that, with support from President Obama as well as the Republican Party, has been in the early stages of a renaissa
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Not surprised they're out there doing this, but it also makes you wonder how much effort is going into making what's happening in Japan not seem as bad as it actually is. Especially with more reactors to be built in America soon. If you're having a hard time believing what the media are saying about the current crisis, this might be one of the reasons they're possibly playing it down.

www.salon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I don't suppose we will have all the real info for quite awhile. Lots of Govt. agencies mixed with conspiracy theorists and just plain crazies, doesn't make for reliable news reports.

It will all come out eventually tho.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
To say the least, all of the fission powered civilian an military reactors is an obscene, flawed and obsolete technology from the start.

It's no wonder, that nuclear power plant's are a favorite fly-over for ET starcraft. Could it be, that these ET's, are trying to warn us in some some way, about this flawed fission technology. You can bet your bottom dollar, that they are very concerned, and possibly afraid of our well-being, as well, based on their probable findings, from other orbital planet related fission powered disasters.

Already, they are trying to convince us Earthlings, grandois possibilities about nature of safe, harnessed fusion powered machines; with an unlimited source of fuel an in seawater. I've personally witnessed, such a fusion plasma shielded starship myself, as well, on it's landing phase, here on Earth, near Wash. D.C. IN 1976.

Also, I plead to President Obama, and to all of the other world leaders, as well: To order an immediate shutdown of all civilian fission powered nuclear reactor monstrosities!!!
If not all, then the ones along the coastlines, too, 40 miles in; too protect from earthquake, and metorite impact related tsuami's.
Also, I urge President Obama, for the immediate distrubution of Iodine pills along the western seaboard of the United States; to be prepared for the radioactive gas cloud when it hits the U.S.

I, also, urge the public, too, stock up on plenty of beer, in order to quickly piss out, any radioactivity that you absorb.

And I wouldn't be suprised at all, with a conspriacy underfoot: With the NSA being contacted already, by these ET's; about the dangers of fission power, and with a cover-up of the nuclear fission powered industries.

Foofighter's Forever!!!

Erno86
edit on 13-3-2011 by Erno86 because: added more words

edit on 13-3-2011 by Erno86 because: DITTO

edit on 13-3-2011 by Erno86 because: ditto

edit on 13-3-2011 by Erno86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hitoshura

If you're having a hard time believing what the media are saying about the current crisis, this might be one of the reasons they're possibly playing it down.

Although, if they are trying to gain public acceptance of nuclear energy as a bigger player in the future, little could do more damage than a cover up in Japan of the true extent of the disaster. So, I think there is a great deal of pressure for them to be honest as well as the natural instinct to perhaps minimize the reporting of the problem.

They have to know the truth will eventually come out, and that has to be pressuring them to be fairly honest in their reporting.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
In a way amazing, but oh so logical that the different governments, company spokespeople are now building their cases for all the upcoming public relation battles that will be fought.

Although I agree with jude11, it is all speculation now, thanks for posting the link. I am very curious on how many facts and fictions will be delivered towards the general public in the coming days concerning all the different topics. Second to that, I am really curious on the stock market reaction tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
They have to know the truth will eventually come out, and that has to be pressuring them to be fairly honest in their reporting.

Call me cynical, but I think they'd rather risk peoples lives and release the information over time than see their shares hit heavily by releasing all the info now. I know it might be wrong to think that, but there's plenty of previous with these companies and governments that would suggest otherwise.

Originally posted by BartNL
Second to that, I am really curious on the stock market reaction tomorrow.

Yup, I bet they are too!
edit on 13-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Can't digest news in a vacuum. The island of Japan is facing the worst crisis it has since WWII. Half the country is inundated with water, possibly thousands killed or missing, potential sanitation problems and food shortages, and that is on top of the nuclear crisis befalling the nation. We are just going to having sit tight and piece together the information coming out from Japan's government, nuclear power industry, and their media. It seems the facts being compiled among the international media seems flawed and skewered?

First and foremost, those reactors have to be cooled like yesterday, and it seems everything is being done to solve the problem. There are other pressing issues to contend with as well as this one. To be fair, I admit to have caught the doom and gloom bug as a result of the crisis. However, until we can get information that can be corroborated and verified, all we can do is wait it out. No use jumping to conclusions over this until we can evaluate all the facts. That will happen when the dust settles and an investigation can be initiated.

Hopefully, a foreign agency will file their own reports along with the Japanese. At least that way, the report will hopefully be impartial. I am not going to get bent out of shape over this any longer, and I am going to gather as much information as possible. That is all we can do, and hopefully we can learn about the nuclear power industry along with the potential pitfalls going forward. As it stands now, I see no viable alternatives to shoulder the energy demands that nuclear power does at the present time? Personally, as far as being reassured, that is not the case. I am concerned by all of this.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

Well they might RATHER protect their shares, but is it possible in Japan right now to conceal the magnitude of any meltdown? I say no. It really isnt.

This isnt a normal circumstance. This is a humanitarian disaster, where Japan is going to be inundated with foreigners trying to help and provide aid. This also means you are going to have tons of people who have no interest in protecting share prices who DO have an interest in not being dosed in radioactivity, and who will also be monitoring what is going on.

Not to mention these foreigners are going to go home and seek medical care, etc.

Japan could not keep this under wraps if it wanted to. No way, no how. They are not idiots, they must know this, and so, they also have to know that they have to tell the truth. They may choose to do so in a slow and reserved way, but they are going to have to confess to what happens there.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

On the "waiting out part" I fully agree, there is never any use to make strange jumps around in panic, but to be honest, although living in the Netherlands, I did stocked up some rice, pasta and tinned canned food. You never know what might happen. Next to Japan, so many events took place the past few months.

On the nuclear part, I am not to worried myself. Sure, if one of the reactors will meltdown and go completely "haywire", a category 6 or maybe 7 event might occur again (like Chernobyl), but given the fact the Japanese reactors are "turned off" I think it will be more like the Three Mile Island accident. Of course it all remains speculation, but given the simple fact there where quite some Accidents and tests in the past, I think the combined knowledge of all the engineers can prevent a large scale nuclear (fallout) event.

And even if a large scale event like Chernobyl would take place, look at the long term results from the Chernobyl disaster. Sure, many people died from the disaster, both during and after the night of the disaster, as from radiation poisoning in the days after, but if you look at the long term consequences from the huge cloud of radiation/nuclear fallout that dropped all over Europe (and even further), the consequences where not as bad as expected at first. Read up on it on the wiki for example, many links their on the subject.

I off course hope that the current events might be the trigger to finally release or research alternative energy sources, but for me personally the dangers and consequences from the possible nuclear meltdown are in a way as bad as the damage from the current earthquake(s) and tsunami(s).

Personally, I see a bigger "threat" in for example the possibility of Yellowstone Park (speculations) responding to the events and with that maybe triggering more seismic activity around the world, the global economic situation/stock markets tomorrow morning, food prices, etc.

Finally, I would like to emphasize I fully understand your concern on the nuclear part and just want to share my thoughts on the subject with you and other readers of the topic. Peace.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BartNL

BartNL, that was a great response to my comment. You hit the nail on the head about how I feel about the nuclear emergency in the Japan. Scouring through information made available at this time, it seems that this emergency as bad as it seems will not be as devastating as Chernobyl. Again, that is only speculation at this point, because just the sheer scope and the simultaneous alarms is something that the nuclear power industry has yet to deal with. Moreover, it seems that the Soviet reactor and the Japanese ones are different in terms of structural design, and how the nuclear reaction is initiated to produce the energy. In the case of Chernobyl, I have heard a lot about graphite-moderated reactor which only exasperated the meltdown event, whereas, in the case of Japan that element is absence because their reactors are water-cooled.

Explainer: Nuclear Power, Meltdowns and Why Japan Is Not Chernobyl

The situation in Japan is different from Chernobyl, which had a completely different nuclear power plant design. Chernobyl had an inherently unstable graphite-moderated reactor, not an inherently stable water-cooled reactor. In addition, all western (modern) reactors must have a containment building; Chernobyl did not have one. Therefore, even if the reactor core in Japan were to melt, the primary containment, a steel liner surrounding the reactor core, should limit the release of radiation. However, we do not know if the primary containment was weakened by the earthquake. Nevertheless, the longer the time between shut-down and collapse the better the outlook because the reactor generates less and less heat with time.

Expert: Chernobyl-style meltdown 'unlikely' in Japan

Yaroslov Shtrombakh, a Russian nuclear expert, has said that a Chernobyl-style meltdown is "unlikely" at Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant.

“It’s not a fast reaction like at Chernobyl,” he said. “I think that everything will be contained within the grounds, and there will be no big catastrophe.”

In 1986, the Chernobyl nuclear reactor exploded and caught fire, sending a cloud of radiation over much of Europe.

So, as it stands now it seems the Chernobyl event and the one unwinding in Japan is apples and oranges? Again, no one is certain because things are still unfolding and information is being dispersed from the Japanese government, nuclear power company, and international sources in a vacuum. It is inherently difficult to digest that information to form any kind of conclusion as to what is really going on. Therefore, all we can do is wait until things hopefully simmer down and an investigation can be made to check the reactor logs to see what exactly happened before the earthquake and tsunami. Therefore, a third party should accompany the Japanese investigators to add impartiality to their findings.

As for preparing for the worst, it is probably a good idea considering the widespread political and civil unrest taking place, frequent natural disasters, and the continued turmoil affecting economies around the globe. So, purchasing non-perishable goods, a generator, stocking up on petroleum, accessible cash, clean drinking water, and other life saving materials in case of disaster whether human or natural. No one should ever go to sea with a life boat, and as I see it, the sea is quite tumultuous at the moment. Personally, I feel we are in for one hell of a tempest. As for Yellowstone popping off, I don't want to even imagine the fallout from an event like that. I hope it does not happen in my lifetime, and that is for certain.

edit on 13-3-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Let's see - lots of oil spills world wide pollute massive areas (thijnk Gulf of Mexico) - happen every year.

Video of refinery burning fiercely, exploding.

Nuclear plant releases some radioactive material....may or may not have some long term effects...mainly due to diesel engines being damaged by massive earthquake...plant designed in the 70's, takes days to fully shut down, modern plants do not need engines to have cooling flow....

Yeah I can see the spin already......stay with oil - it's safer!!

Yeah right!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
Japan could not keep this under wraps if it wanted to. No way, no how. They are not idiots, they must know this, and so, they also have to know that they have to tell the truth. They may choose to do so in a slow and reserved way, but they are going to have to confess to what happens there.

That's kind of what I was saying, I agree. They can't keep it hidden, but they can slow the release of information, which is something that risks the lives of people all over Japan and anywhere else that could be exposed to radiation. Energy companies/corporations are clearly massive and I don't trust them at all basically, but yeah, the truth has to come out, I just hope it's as soon as possible.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86
To say the least, all of the fission powered civilian an military reactors is an obscene, flawed and obsolete technology from the start.

It's no wonder, that nuclear power plant's are a favorite fly-over for ET starcraft. Could it be, that these ET's, are trying to warn us in some some way, about this flawed fission technology. You can bet your bottom dollar, that they are very concerned, and possibly afraid of our well-being, as well, based on their probable findings, from other orbital planet related fission powered disasters.

Already, they are trying to convince us Earthlings, grandois possibilities about nature of safe, harnessed fusion powered machines; with an unlimited source of fuel an in seawater. I've personally witnessed, such a fusion plasma shielded starship myself, as well, on it's landing phase, here on Earth, near Wash. D.C. IN 1976.

Also, I plead to President Obama, and to all of the other world leaders, as well: To order an immediate shutdown of all civilian fission powered nuclear reactor monstrosities!!!
If not all, then the ones along the coastlines, too, 40 miles in; too protect from earthquake, and metorite impact related tsuami's.
Also, I urge President Obama, for the immediate distrubution of Iodine pills along the western seaboard of the United States; to be prepared for the radioactive gas cloud when it hits the U.S.

I, also, urge the public, too, stock up on plenty of beer, in order to quickly piss out, any radioactivity that you absorb.

And I wouldn't be suprised at all, with a conspriacy underfoot: With the NSA being contacted already, by these ET's; about the dangers of fission power, and with a cover-up of the nuclear fission powered industries.

Foofighter's Forever!!!

Erno86
edit on 13-3-2011 by Erno86 because: added more words

edit on 13-3-2011 by Erno86 because: DITTO

Dude I am surprised nobody saw the mothman. I just thought I'd throw that nice little gem in the pot since people have already brought extraterrestrials, HAARP, deep nuclear atom bomb testing and false flag operations in this already. Heck I might even say that someone spotted a yeti with a bundle of twiggs running to the hills an hour before the earthquake... I am just givin you playin with you, sorry. It may be plausible to see the E.T's warning us though.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I have noticed anti-nuclear power advocates have been ridiculed by the MSM, telivision and radio as they have been pressing the anti-nuclear agenda. I have heard comments such as, and I'm paraphrasing here "Using that logic, we should shut down all coal mines as they can collapse". I'm sorry I can't provide any links as of this moment, but it's true. They have been down playing the nuclear crisis.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well, I shall make an observation about an anomalous detail - this is conspiracy parlance ne c'est pas?

The event happened on March 11-11 and the nuclear plants affected so far could be pronounced: F..K YOU
-Fukushima.

Just in case this was some kind of cabal conspiracy code... telling us we are all friggin f-d.

I know that the _government_ destroyed equipment invented by a couple of inventors that
could detect government caused vs. nature caused earthquakes.
(I talked to this man for 2 hours a couple years ago who claimed that he and a pal had
assembled an earthquake detecting device worth $20 million
that was trashed by the guvmint). And we know from the tales of Tesla and other
arcane pieces that earthquakes can be induced...primarily by those in power like...
SATAN~! or ... GOVERNMENTS!

Can one conjecture that this was a government induced event? Truthfully, I doubt it because it
was probably centuries in the making, but there is no harm in asking....

I grok that this may seem too bizarre to be credible, but the one thing I have come to learn:
never under-estimate the perfidy of the powerfully rich.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
i guess if there is anyone i trust dealing with nuke power, it's the japanese.

this is one hell of a learning experience, tho.

thoes workers should get a medal!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthShine
I know that the _government_ destroyed equipment invented by a couple of inventors that
could detect government caused vs. nature caused earthquakes.
(I talked to this man for 2 hours a couple years ago who claimed that he and a pal had
assembled an earthquake detecting device worth $20 million
that was trashed by the guvmint). And we know from the tales of Tesla and other
arcane pieces that earthquakes can be induced...primarily by those in power like...
SATAN~! or ... GOVERNMENTS!

Can one conjecture that this was a government induced event? Truthfully, I doubt it because it
was probably centuries in the making, but there is no harm in asking....

I grok that this may seem too bizarre to be credible, but the one thing I have come to learn:
never under-estimate the perfidy of the powerfully rich.

It's not their perfidy that is in question - it is the existance of all this amazing technology - 2 entirely different things - it doesn't matter how tricksy you are with your billions - if there's no anti-gravity then you simply can't hang without support 10 feet in the air, and if you haven't got a space suit then you can't breath vacuum.

And if your acquaintance can't front up with documents or descriptions of his device - some working principles at least, then I'm going to say he's perfidious too - it's not only the rich can be described as such!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
I have noticed anti-nuclear power advocates have been ridiculed by the MSM, telivision and radio as they have been pressing the anti-nuclear agenda. I have heard comments such as, and I'm paraphrasing here "Using that logic, we should shut down all coal mines as they can collapse". I'm sorry I can't provide any links as of this moment, but it's true. They have been down playing the nuclear crisis.

That would be because it is completely miniscule compared to the rest of the disaster.

It's probably dangerous to those people close to it - but it's looking like the worst this will be is like 3 mile Island - no significant leakage, no fatalities or serious injuries, no major ecological damage.

Unlike, say, the Gulf oil spill, Piper alpha, etc., etc.

At the moment it seems to me it is probably safer to be in a 70's built Japanese reactor hit by a tsunami than in a US oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico in any weather.

But I'm prepared to hear bad news that would change my mind!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
It makes you wonder how all the Green movement with it's "low carbon" mantra has been pushed religiously. The snake in the grass that's been waiting around the corner to be the "savior" od carbon is Nuclear energy but it's had it' head cut off now.

<<   2 >>

join