It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Disaster: Economic Fallout?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
First and foremost, I need to extend my heart and prayers to the people of Japan. A situation like this is unimaginable and I cannot fathom what they are going through. Good Luck.

There are many threads that discuss all the elements of this disaster, but I have never read a discussion pertaining to the economic ramifications of the weeks and months ahead. This is what concerns me to no end.

Japans economy had just stabilized from the economic woes of the past few years, and the future was fairly bright but it was still fragile at best. Now with this recent disaster, plants have either closed (even if it is just for the weekend) or have washed away, entire industrial areas have been washed away and even entire towns. Insurance companies will be stretched to financial limits to cover their legal obligations to their policy holders, and premiums will skyrocket to cover this multi-billion dollar catastrophe. Governments will be stretched to the end of its financial abilities and the charity of others will become a precious commodity. The tourist industry will surely take a huge hit for some time to come, depending on the nuclear situation. Energy prices will rise, and lets not forget that at least three reactors are down.

This, of course, is my personal opinion. I am not a financial guru, but I hope you are. What are we going to see when the stock markets digest this disaster? Please add to the conversation as I am looking for solid insight into what we may see in the near future.

www.guardian.co.uk... earthquake-aftermath-economy-insurance

www.azcentral.com... 11/20110311quake-rocks-japans-economy.html

www.guardian.co.uk... ake-shocks-stock-markets

www.deseretnews.com... Quake-and-tsunami-a-blow-to-fragile-Japan-economy.html

bybusiness.net...[editb y]edit on 13-3-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: grammer

edit on 13-3-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Here is a Time-Cnn article that has an optimistic view of the economic ramifications ahead. Worth a read....

curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com... ese-earthquake-the-economic-hit/

new topics

join