It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency at 2nd Japanese Nuclear Plant ‎

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Emergency at 2nd Japanese Nuclear Plant ‎

news.smh.com.au

Following the explosion at a quake-hit nuclear plant in Japan, a state of emergency has been declared at a second facility due to excessive radiation levels there, the UN atomic watchdog says.

"Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that the first or lowest state of emergency at the Onagawa nuclear power plant has been reported by Tohoku Electric Power Company," the International Atomic Energy Agency said in a statement on Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Japanese nuclear plants in peril Seattle Times

Related News Links:
Japan says state of emergency at Onagawa - IAEA Reuters
Fire at Tohoku Elec Onagawa nuclear plant - Kyodo Reuters
High radiation at second Japan nuclear plant ABC News

There's also a story that refutes this recent news:
Japan agency: Onagawa plant functioning properly Reuters

edit on 13-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: additional info

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Radiation is now 400 times normal level at Onagawa nuke plant and reports of a fire breaking out in the turbine section of the plant has shut down the plant's cooling systems. This makes the prospect of another region in Japan having reactor meltdowns and/or explosions.

There's also the contention that Japan has been covering up the actual conditions and denying systemic errors in order to avoid public panic.

Onagawa Nuclear Power Plant Wikipedia

edit on 13-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: additional info

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

There's also the contention that Japan has been covering up the actual conditions and denying systemic errors in order to avoid public panic.

Do you blame them?

Panic, in Japan could potentially be as deadly as another major quake... And if people in Japan panic, where are most of them going to flee to?

Most of the infrastructure is severely damaged, so you'd have millions jammed in panic mode, headed for where?

Sometimes it is better to keep the people in the dark, so to speak... For their own safety. Which is more dangerous, panic or the radiation exposure?

Tough call, but in this case, the Japanese officials could be handling this situation the proper way.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I believe in honesty is the best policy, unless you're a criminal. An empowered society is best served by truth, whereas deception has serious consequences and blowback potential. These radiological cover ups have no place in building a better civilization. Cover ups do not teach the people how to be self sufficient and do not let them develop adequate coping skills for future events.

I would want to be told if I am being exposed to radiation and the probabilities of a meltdown occurring in my region. I have had enough of this nanny state "we the sheeple" crap to last a lifetime.

edit on 13-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: additional text

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

yup i totally understand where your coming from but other people will have a different point of view,
for example i would rather be in panic mode than be unknowingly exposed to radiative material. yes as you'v said people would be running around like headless chickens but imo they have a right to know so they could take proper measures to protect themselves and their children. just put yourself in their situation for a minute, which would you prefer?

imo that is the problem with higher athority, they only view it as "looking out the window" so to speak, like thinking what the people are going to react like. instead of putting themselves in their situation and wondering is it best for them to know the truth or play them down...

both of which have their advantages and dissadvantages. just imo i know which one id prefer, and think in this day in age is more appropiate.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I believe in honest is the best policy, unless your a criminal. An empowered society is best served by truth, whereas deception has serious consequences and blowback potential. These radiological cover ups have no place in building a better civilization.

The truth is what they provide, but may withhold some specifics so as to avoid mass panic.

Japan is relatively small for the population it has, again, where are people going to go if there is mass panic?

Honesty is the best policy in most cases, but some discretion should be applied when total honestly can put thousands upon thousands of lives at GREATER risk.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I believe in honesty is the best policy, unless your a criminal. An empowered society is best served by truth, whereas deception has serious consequences and blowback potential. These radiological cover ups have no place in building a better civilization. Cover ups do not teach the people how to be self sufficient and do not let them develop adequate coping skills for future events.

I would want to be told if I am being exposed to radiation and the probabilities of a meltdown occurring in my region.

edit on 13-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)
I agree. By keeping the reality under lock and key you'r ensuring that the public is not aware of the real problems and thus when the government legislates the people will not be able to make the right choices. How can they make the right choices when they're shielded from the truth?

It also means that IF the truth eventually comes out, the people will lose trust in the government.

And that's the blowback. The government has incentive to continue to lie.

It leads to this:
a) The government shields the public from the truth to prevent panic and disorder from spreading
b) How can people make the right choices if they're shielded from the truth.
c) If the truth is eventually told, the people lose trust in the government.
d) The government has incentive to continue to lie to maintain trust

a -> b -> c -> d -> b...

The result will be a public that is increasingly uninformed about reality.

The question is what does an uninformed public lead to?

The reality is probably some combination. Reality rarely behaves like it does on paper. So what we have is probably a mixture of disclosure and lying and honesty, not an either/or situation.

Put in other words... we have incentive to lie on a daily basis just as individuals. The incentive is you get something for nothing. But we don't lie every time we deal with others. So even though I can say there's an incentive for government to continue to lie, the reality is that it won't always happen.

It's slippery slope thinking that leads to either/or. Desire does not equal intent.
edit on 13-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
An interesting, relevant news report:

I still believe that IF the Japanese officials are intentionally withholding information, it is not for any reason other than to prevent widespread and dangerous mass panic.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here's a recent video indicating the radiation at Onagawa is now 700 times normal background levels and up to 6 reactors in Japan may meltdown.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/921f7a12d617.jpg[/atsimg]

The following article indicates winds blowing to the from the Fukushima nuclear plant have contaminated the Onagawa nuclear plant, which is about 100 miles away to the North. If true, then the radioactive contamination zone is much larger than their current evacuation zones. This speculative contamination zone would include the prefectures of Ibaraki, Tochigi, Fukushima, Miyagi, Yamageta with over 5 million people that are being exposed to high levels of deadly radiation.

Onagawa Plant Radiation Levels Due to Wind: Officials

he International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the U.N.'s nuclear agency, said earlier that Japan had declared a state of emergency at the Onagawa nuclear power plant. An investigation into the source of the over-the-limit radioactivity at the Onagawa power plant turned up a natural source: wind. The Onagawa nuclear power plant has three reactors.

Authorities now say that the increased nuclear radiation around the Onagawa power plant is due to radioactive material blown from the neartby Fukushima Power Plant, which had one reactor unit explode on Saturday. The explosion appears to have been caused by a buildup of hydrogen gas in the containment unit around the reactor vessel. The reactor itself was not damaged, authorities say.

edit on 13-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
ARGGGG to many threads

Live News Feed
www.livestation.com...

Currently the Fukushima plant has three reactors still in trouble and there are two other plants with problems

Nuclear emergency as Fukushima cooling system fails after Japan quake!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Does seem sort of like Japanese catastrophe overload lately. Then there's the added factor of much of the news is just regurgitated past events.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

I received info that this was a deliberate incident because the areas inside was old- pressure had to be released- JAPAN knows exactly what is going on!!!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

is that not from the same source that had shapeshifting reptillian reporters?..way to go, great source, bet that would hold up great in a court of law, or with anyone who had half a brain.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by condition9
JAPAN knows exactly what is going on!!!

yeah all hell breaking loose... because #3 plant exploded too... that is the one with the new experimental plutonium fuel

Yup they sure got it all under control

top topics

join