It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for those knowledgeable in the fields of either Geology, Magnetic fields and Astrophysics.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This breaking news from the BBC, so thought I'd add fuel to the fire:

Japan's Earthquake Research Committee estimates Friday's devastating earthquake forced the tectonic plate on which Japan sits to spring eastward by about 20m (66 feet), says NHK.

Interesting!
edit on 13-3-2011 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I'm a complete amateur, but thought I would throw my hat into the ring.

I know earthquakes can affect the tilt of the earths axis thus shortening/legnthening an earth day repsectively.

The Chilean earthquake shortend the day by 1.26 microseconds, I believe I read somewhere on ATS that the Japan earthquake has legnthened an earth day by 1.6 microseconds, I might have it round my ears, but if I haven't, its almost seems to me as though the affects of Chile's earthquake are being balanced out by the Japan earthquake. Chile is in the South, and Japan more the North, but both a mid latitude, As land mass shifted in both quakes this is what accounts for the deviance or shift, or so I think.

Apparently none of this really makes a difference in the big scheme of things with regard to this legnthening/shortening of the earth day, as apparently it takes many years to present itself, and even then is such a small number it just won't register.

As a general point, don't know if this would help explain anything but what about Osmosis ? I know it relates to liquid, and gas states, but it is a rule in science and nature that where is a concentration of many, it spreads out to where there is less so as to balance

Please feel free to correct me, as like I said I'm not professing to know anything here, just summising, but would be good to be put straight thanks

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Good post. No need to apologise, it's good to throw ones hat in the ring every now and then. But to answer your question, I have no idea if it does have an effect in the big scheme of things, i'm probably looking for more answers than you!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
OK, the techtonic plate under the Pacific is slipping underneath (subducting) the Eurasian plate.

The vibration of the earthquake has caused the islands of Japan and the surrounding land surface (even under the ocean) to flatten out slightly. Think of sand in a tray, you shake the tray and all the bumps and irregularities "smooth out" a bit. This made the area that shook, in a rough circle around the fault, move south-westward by a bit.

The overall orbit and position in space of the Earth has not changed much but its spin and tilt are affected (slightly).

The moon has been moving away from the Earth for millions of years and this should not actually make any significant change to that, although it may also affect the tilt and rotation of the moon a little. Actually, ignore that, I have just done some quick calcs and any changes to the moon's rotation or tilt would be infinitessimally small.

Also star for you Solargeddon!
edit on 13/3/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

I think what you were getting at is entropy, where areas of high energy will spread out over time to even up or flatten the overall energy profile.

Definitely! The areas of land under pressure (mountains & faults) caused by the slow pressure of plate techtonics (in turn caused, we believe, by convection currents in the moltern core) are released, all at once, in earthquakes.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
OK, the techtonic plate under the Pacific is slipping underneath (subducting) the Eurasian plate.

The vibration of the earthquake has caused the islands of Japan and the surrounding land surface (even under the ocean) to flatten out slightly. Think of sand in a tray, you shake the tray and all the bumps and irregularities "smooth out" a bit. This made the area that shook, in a rough circle around the fault, move south-westward by a bit.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure that the reports from USGS and JERC say that Japan and the Plate it's sitting on moved eastward by 8 ft and 66 ft respectively. Flatten out you say? Source?

The moon has been moving away from the Earth for millions of years and this should not actually make any significant change to that, although it may also affect the tilt and rotation of the moon a little. Actually, ignore that, I have just done some quick calcs and any changes to the moon's rotation or tilt would be infinitessimally small.

Indeed, but in all due respect, that wasn't the question. The question was, if the Earth's diameter is growing, thus changing the constant between Earth and Moon, could that be the cause of the Moon moving away from us and the anomalies in it's orbit. As far as I know, science still hasn't determined why the Moon is moving away, as by the laws of physics, it shouldn't be.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AmatuerSkyWatcher

OK, I would have imagined that the subduction would move Japan apparently Westward, bringing the Eastern coast of the United States closer. These things are extremely complex (similar to the weather) and sometimes things don't turn out as clear-cut as we'd expect (ie: I could be wrong).

My experience is in Astrophysics, not Geology (sorry, should have said that up front).

A change in diameter of the Earth would not change the gravitational forces on the Moon-Earth system but a change in mass would.

A change in the circumference of the Earth would also require that the matter that it is made from, be re-organised into a less-dense mix. While possible, I don't know of any data that authenticates the theory.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

According to the law of universal gravitation, the attractive force (F) between two bodies is proportional to the product of their masses (m1 and m2), and inversely proportional to the square of the distance (r) between them:...
wiki

So as you can see, the law of universal gravitational constant is indeed effected by the square of the distance between 2 objects. So if the earth's diameter was growing, it would change that distance between them, thus changing gravity and constant between them no?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I believe that the distance they are referring to is the distance between the centers of mass.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Bingo! you are right! So even if the diameter of the Earth does change and grow, it shouldn't effect the mass right?

So we have to assume then that the Earth and Moon's surface's are not like 2 magnets opposing each other, but why would just the centre of the mass have an effect on gravity? Surely the shifting of the mass would have an effect?

For instance, in laymens terms, If we had 2 leather balls, each weighing the same, but one inflated more than the other. If we threw them both into a swimming pool, the one with a larger area would make a bigger splash right?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Geez, now your'e getting into fluid dynamics! Way to confuse me.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I think, in terms of displacement of water, that they would displace exactly the same amount.

The larger ball would displace (or splash) less depth of water, but over a bigger area.

The smaller ball would displace a greater depth of water, but at a smaller area than the larger.

So I think the ultimate result is that they would "splash" exactly the same.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Good answer. I am dropping the questions on the earths surface effecting the moon going away from us. Thanks for your patience chr0naut!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
DEEP INTROSPECTION

In a physical sense without the suns gravity pulling earth into orbit around january3rd every year at closest and the mass of earth defying that force and continueing to orbit around the sun in the expanding void of space ,then yes the sun `s gravity keeps the core of planet earth thermal nuclear reacting the iron/nickel,keeping it fliud,by mass energy transference of close by gravitational bodies. E=Mc2.
If the sun were to vanish the core of planet earth would cool and the geomagnet would diminish as no heavier gravitational force to friction against in the ether of the cosmos ,keeping the iron warm and viscose ,just as mars has not !
Japan moving is a hole other issue and may provide evidence of a expanding accelerating spacetime outside the matter in the universe of our local region in the milky way,stretching earths crust from external interstellar forces outside the suns heliosphere also causing the change in environmental temperature on earth recently and causing geological biblical events or quite simply the moon.
The magnetosphere acts as a protector from solar radiance but also deflects interstellar particles,cosmic rays which are 1000 times more powerful than solar radiance,the magnetosphere usually protects us from this also,however these cosmic rays are increasingly getting in more often indicating changes.
Gravity waves are long saught after to explain sudden changes in earths geology.There is a project underway being put into space to see if they can capture a gravity wave from the beetleguise supernova which is imminent to reach our solar system from 600 years ago,this will provide ,irrefutable proof of gravity waves and the door to real evidence of a multiuniverse.If gravity can escape from a known source and travel interstellar distances then the theory will be proven.
AND NO ITS NOT MADE UP ITS REAL

and for those who don`t believe that gravity varies,well if we had no moon,be duly enlightened and appreciate your moon and our place in the complex dynamics of a clockwork universe

I hope this explains the moons place in geology and earthquakes,remember the earth would wobble more violently without the tugg and ebb of the moons mass gravity transferance..
Gringo peace

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 14-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Does anyone know what effect the massive solar flares reported by fox news to hit in the next two days will have? They say the largest in the last 4 years. With moon scheduled to be the closed to the earth tonight and tomorrow I have read a lot about EMP issues being predicted on our fragile grid in the US. I'm very uneducated in the field of science. With every thing going on. How likely is An EMP issue or something even worse to happen soon? They wouldn't tell us till it happened.

Thanks for all the past information ladies and gentlemen. My Prayers go out to all the people In Japan victims and relief workers.

Jerry

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen anyone wanting information in this arena refer to
The master of all information regarding these concerns.Thats if hes not too busy to answer.
Thanks gringo

edit on 14-3-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join