It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy/Moon experts - please explain - BIZZARE moon in Sydney last night. Two shadows

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wackers90
There isn't much around about this, but there is this video, watch closely as the direction of the sun going dark and the direction of it being revealed are different, possibly disqualifying any claims of just something floating past the lense. Really wierd... Theres movement too which isn't usualy there, see what you think. I'm not sure what to make of it but the same phenomenon could have occured when you saw the moon.
www.youtube.com...

That video you linked (and similar ones) have already been explained on this thread and others, such as in This Post by ATS member 'nataylor'.

That video is footage from March 13, 2011 from a camera on the SDO spacecraft (the Solar Dynamic Observatory), specifically an instrument called the "AIA 131" (I should clarify that nataylor's post that I linked above was making reference to different instrument on SDO -- the "AIA 171", which is why the video in his post looks different than the one in yous...but I digress).

The SDO is a spacecraft in geosynchronous orbit around the Earth. Every day until April 2, the Earth will get in the way between the spacecraft and the Sun, resulting in part of the Sun being blocked by the earth. This happened on March 13, which is also the date of the footage shown in that video. Also, according to the people at SDO, this will happen usually near 07:00 UT, which (not coincidentally) is also the time on that video.

By the way, that video is a time-lapse. The actual event of the earth getting between the Sun and the SDO took about 44 minutes (between 06:46 and 07:30 UT).

So, that video you posted is easily explained, but it does not explain the OP's issue. However, as I indicated in my two posts above yours, I think it could have been a cloud. I see no reason yet to discount that it was a cloud.

edit on 3/15/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK
perhaps what you saw was closer to earth and local to you, above you... making it seem as though it was casting a shadow across the moon but in actual fact it was blocking your view and was in our atmosphere?

My opinion is that the object which cast the shadow was somewhere between the Earth and the Sun - out in space. And that it crossed the path of the sun's light to the moon, hence casting a shadow on the moon

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
How exactly do you know it wasn't a cloud? You said it was 11:15 PM, so it would be very dark. A dense cloud may not be easily visible -- i.e., it would simply look black, and thus blend in with the sky. Plus, being on the horizon, the cloud would even seem denser than it really is, because you would be looking at it a little more "edge on", making it even harder to see against the night sky.

The only way to know such a cloud is there is if it passes in front of a star or the Moon. The density of the cloud, heighten by the fact that you are viewing the cloud from a more edge on angle, would mean that the edges of the cloud would not "glow" like they normally might with the Moon behind it.

Like this:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea7e6a52e057.jpg[/atsimg]

I appreciate where you are coming from, but with all due respect and honesty, i know it wasn't a cloudbecause it WASN'T a cloud.

I am an avid sjy-watcher and KNOW a cloud in front of the Moon when i see it.

This object was PERFECTLY circular. It was the EXACT colour and tone, EXACT, as the Moon's shadow. It moved acorss the Moon so perfectly, it looked like an eclipse. As in, the movement of one planet in front of another, so-to-speak.

Trust me friend, it was in no way a cloud

Originally posted by wackers90
There isn't much around about this, but there is this video, watch closely as the direction of the sun going dark and the direction of it being revealed are different, possibly disqualifying any claims of just something floating past the lense. Really wierd... Theres movement too which isn't usualy there, see what you think. I'm not sure what to make of it but the same phenomenon could have occured when you saw the moon.
www.youtube.com...

I watched the clip - VERY interesting. My gut tells me that is more likely due to interference with the sensors which take those images. Though, if not, WHOA.

I dont really think my sighting was related though.

If i had to relate my sighting to something, i would have to say look for Comet Elenin/Tyche/Nibiru/Planet X. Its the only theory out there that could explian it. And no, im not a Planet X junkie

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
That video you linked (and similar ones) have already been explained on this thread and others, such as in This Post by ATS member 'nataylor'.

The SDO is a spacecraft in geosynchronous orbit around the Earth. Every day until April 2, the Earth will get in the way between the spacecraft and the Sun, resulting in part of the Sun being blocked by the earth. This happened on March 13, which is also the date of the footage shown in that video. Also, according to the people at SDO, this will happen usually near 07:00 UT, which (not coincidentally) is also the time on that video.

So, that video you posted is easily explained, but it does not explain the OP's issue. However, as I indicated in my two posts above yours, I think it could have been a cloud. I see no reason yet to discount that it was a cloud.

Thanks
This is what i thought that vid most likely was - some kind of sane and technical reason for it.

Though as I said, it just wasn't a cloud. I used to be a chemtrail freak who would take pics and film of the sky non-stop. While i am no longer so convinced on anything regarding chemtrails, i still know the sky.

it just simply wasn't a cloud - it was PERFECTLy circular and held its shaped perfectly while it moved... No cloud dude

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Ok I live in S.C can someone please tell me why there is no moon tonight?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by StarbucksCaramelfrappucci

South Carolina?
Because it's not going to rise until 1:35AM

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I actually found this video in which a large object passes by the sun. Maybe it had something to do with the what the OP says passed infront of the moon? Not sure....just remembered watching this....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ConcreteAngel1

The large object is the Moon.
journeytothestars.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Check this video, this guy talks about an object next to the sun, maybe this is the cause?

www.youtube.com...=80

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

as crazy as this sounds i saw something like this when i was like 11 no one believed me but oh well somethings happen with no explanation

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join