It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help, can't get rid of this adware!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hey guys, many times when I open up Internet Explorer, I will go to a page and all of a sudden key words on the page such as "computers" or "internet" or "house" or "banking", "trip", "money", "wing", "government", "cares" and many other key words on the page will turn into hyperlinks. Of course, when I click on the link, it takes me directly to adsrve.com/linkredirect.php, where it forwards me off to some site relating to the key word that I clicked...I have tried running spybot, adaware professional, and norton antivirus, I've tried looking at Explorer settings, in the Registry, and I can't get rid of this damn thing...does anyone have any suggestions?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Check in Add/Supress Programs, to see if something weird is there, that shouldn't be there (that you don't need)

Remove everything you think you don't need. Chances are, the kind of browser hi-jacker you caught won't be there, but it's still worth checking.

I suggest everyone to install the latest Spybot (1.3) and when installing, enable the Tea-Time protection, this way, spybot will warn you whenever something changes registry settings (homepage and other internet explorer are storred somewhere in the registery)

Good luck with that. You can also restore the default internet parameters, but if it's a tough Hi-jacker, it will have a key somewhere to change them back when you restart (hence why you too should have Tea Timer installed, so it warns you when something attempt to change the registery)

[Edited on 20-7-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Download this:

AD AWARE

install it and check for updates and then scan your comp, it should find any ad software and be able to get rid of it

Peace

DJDOHBOY

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
by m0rbid
Check in Add/Supress Programs, to see if something weird is there, that shouldn't be there (that you don't need)

Just like m0rbid say and
If the program is running it will not let you to unistall, so it that happend you have to see your windows task manager (Ctrl, ALT and DElETE press at the same time) this is for windows xp. and in process you should find the entry and end the process then you can unistall. If this is not the case then like DJDOHBOY said get adaware and run it.

Good luck.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
He said he had already tried spybot and ad-aware. I also have seen some spy/adware that weren't picked off by any of those 2 programs. (happens sometimes when they weren't added to the definitions files yet.)

Those can be a b*atch to uninstall! :bnghd:

Marg gaved a good tip too. If you're not sure about a process listed in your task manager, just google it up and you'll know pretty quick if it's known malware.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You may have a not-so-helpful "Browser Helper Object" installed. You can give BHODemon 2.0 a try and see what it finds.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Checkout this thread found in Google Groups the guy was having the same issue and solved it by determining that it was an IEDriver.

[Edited on 20-7-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Hey guys, I think I got it...I stopped an "IEHost.exe" process, and then uninstalled the file..I read on a website that it was linked to the MyWay search toolbar which someone had installed on our computer, so I tried to uninstall that, but couldn't...it seems that it isn't listed in running processes, as it runs with internet explorer. The only problem is, explorer is used to browse your files and delete things, so I wasn't allowed to delete the running process since it runs every time an explorer window is opened...so then I had to go into DOS and manually delete the files, that way the process wasn't open at the time. And it seems to be gone for now, so I hope I got rid of it.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Ok, good deal! That type of thing would absolutely drive me up a wall. I glad that you were able to work things out.

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Good for you!!!!!!!!

sometimes we the non so good about computers have to learn how to trick with them just to take our computers back from spy ware and others just keep learning after a while you will be able to become a computer wizard. (like me) no!!!ha, ha, ha,

I am not computer wizard but I know how to take any thing that it does not belong in my computer out.

E_T

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
...MyWay search toolbar which someone had installed on our computer

You can prevent pretty much all of this garbage by changing to real browser which doesn't suck in every piece of # it founds from net.

new topics

top topics

join