It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Meaning Behind a Handshake.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Interesting...Makes me wonder how often this type of connection would occur if I was born blind. If a particular sense is hindered it may heighten another, altering perception or liberating a sub-consious past. Who's to say a vague, familiar energy can't be felt when you come into contact with someone?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Wow, I'm not sure if I've ever agreed with an ATS post more. I can say that honestly, the guys with the best hand shakes are either my closest friends, or men I aspire to be like. That didn't sound too gay, did it? ha!
Ladies, not to sound like too much of a sexist or a BRO, but there's just some sort of a bond that two men get from a firm, earnest, respectful handshake that we just can't get from the opposite sex.
It's like two battle hardened warriors acknowledging each other's prowess.
Okay, so maybe I got a little carried away, but don't you think that people of all genders and backgrounds could benefit from a little more positive physical contact?!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

P.S.
I may have to steal "hey, howzit?" from you.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Here is an Idea about a handshake that I got recently while reading up on interactions between angels and, lets say, people of arcane knowledge. The more I research in this field, the more it seems that everyday things have deeper and forgotten meanings.

In my opinion I think the most important thing a handshake conveys is "Greetings, I am here, and I am real".

I think in times past, mysterious things and events happened that might have confused reality. The common man had to come up with ways of "just making sure"

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
What a great post, and great comments.

You can tell so much about a person from a handshake.

Yes, wet fish handshakes are disgusting - and they tell you that that person is not relating to you, or not willing to relate, and/or scared of you.

I believe that handshakes are a very important way for men to relate to other men, because if you think about it men cannot relate to each other physically usually, unless they are gay. So for a hetero man to communicate true love, admiration, brotherhood etc to another man is through a handshake.

Women can hug and kiss each other but men can't, unless under special circumstances.

Long live the handshake!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by RicoMarston

Totally with ya bro.

There are certain people I actually look forward to shaking their hand again.

It is like they are transferring some of their Bro Wisdom to me every time we shake hands.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I like the theory of energy fields, have had some experiences with vibes and different people.
Solar, explained it in a great way on the first page of the thread

Will shake many hands this week and pay attention to the energy, ha Sounds a bit crazy.

Will report back..
edit on 4-4-2011 by ShawHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I dont - and wont shake hands. Prefer to stick with the japanese tradition of bowing.
Takes enough out of me just blocking out the emotions of people around me as can sense both where people are around me along with their intent/emotions. As result prefer to avoid crowds or unnecessary close contact with people... Thus stick with bowing when greet people ..

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'm not too old so I don't know how handshaking was percieved in generations prior to mine, but almost every time I shake the hand of someone (usually 35+), they say something about what a great handshake I give. It's like they're surprised or something?

My dad taught me to use a firm grip and look the person in the eye, and that's what I've always done.

Weird...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

Good job man. Same with me. Older people are always like, I'm glad to see a firm handshake in your generation, etc etc.

It was funny, because I just brought up this thread to someone in real life, and they also agreed. Funny how you bumped this thread right after I mentioned it in real life. Manifestation.

I can seriously think back, and remember if someone gave me a firm handshake. Firm handshakes are memorable in my opinion.

It is a social thing. It conveys a lot.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
What I now about it, at least in Western culture, handshaking means that you don't bring any weapons, that you are friendly, non-hostile.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I've seen a few replies mentioning weaponry. Maybe a long time ago, that's what it was about, but it means much more than that today, although I believe it may be losing it's popularity.

A firm handshake and a good look into the eye is, in my opinion, the establishment that you are asserting yourself on an equal level. It's a psychological thing; limp wristed hand shakers give me the willies... And they're becoming so much more prevalent. I'd say the ratio of good:bad hand shakers is about the same as my percieved notion of smart:stupid people.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I never knew so much went into a handshake until these last few years as explained to me by my boyfriend, and now this thread...I guess being a female, it wasn't one of those things my parents thought I would need to be educated about, never once did a female friend ever bring this up, and I never paid much attention to it.

Anyway, as related to me by my boyfriend, what goes on in a handshake between two men relates to the strengh of character of the individual. Do you guys on this thread acknoledge this or is he BS'ing me? As a female, when I had to shake hands with either male or female, the energy of the individual was all I paid attention to since I am more or less empathic. It really did give me a first impression of someone I didn't know. I cringe at the thought that all these years I never put any effort into the firmness of the shaking, or my thoughts and emotions in that moment. Women, for the most part, convey friendliness and warmth during a handshake, and I guess unconsciously, that's all I cared about. Reading through everyone's comments, I have learned a lot here and I will always put conscious effort into all my handshakes from today forward! great topic, thanks!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
What I feel during the handshake is the other persons personality and their intentions. I think it is the same as the "gut feeling" other people have about certain individuals but I guess lesser emphatically developed people need to shake hands to transfer that information. It is like trading business cards.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
reply to post by pikestaff

I absolutely hate it when their hand just goes limp....

I'm like what in the world is the major malfunction with this person?????

It is highly annoying and I will never look at the person in the same way again.

When I get a nice firm handshake from someone, I actually get a jolt of energy and it puts me in a good mood.

When I get a limp handshake from someone.... I just feel dissapointed and utterly lost.

I feel this way about a hug. I do like to hug my friends and anyone that wants to be my friend will get a great big bear hug from me.

Hugging skinny people is awkward, but most times they enjoy the big hug; however, those that sort of try to keep the space between the hug and do it delicately, as if they were going to break something, I get a creepy feeling from them. I then try to refrain from hugging them as they obviously are not comfortable with it. I rarely shake hands with those that I know and limit it to a "respectful" gesture to a stranger.

Shaking a friend's hand, LOL, that would be like shaking your Mom's hand, or your Dad's hand; just give them a great big Hug! (that is if they are good parents and they actually Love you)

If they are a close friend then they get kisses too! Male or female!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It all depends on the culture and situation whether to shake hands, or hug.

Here on the islands, close friends and family like to do the handshake and hug combo. You give them a handshake, and then while still shaking hands, hug them as well. It works great and it's always fun.

Do people do this elsewhere?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying

Anyway, as related to me by my boyfriend, what goes on in a handshake between two men relates to the strengh of character of the individual. Do you guys on this thread acknoledge this or is he BS'ing me?

He isn't BSing you. And I think the whole handshaking thing is more directed towards men than ladies.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Your boyfriend is not BSing you.

Handshakes between men in my culture is absolutely crucial.

It conveys so damn much, you may never be able to understand unless you were male.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
And don't forget , the "agreement" handshake, very old.
"Seeing he despised the oath by breaking the covenant, when, lo, he had given his hand"
unquote

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
reply to post by Mike Stivic

That is hilarious dude.

But it is so true though, limp handshakes are like wtf???

Man I love this thread. I don't know about you guys, but I have learned a lot today.

hmm....I don't know what to think

I'm a woman,and for some strange reason ,I don't shake hands very firmly. I feel like I'm being overly aggresive if I do. Not sure if it would be considered limp, but its definately not a handshake with a lot of pump to it.

Just wondering if this theory applies to women as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join