It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Meaning Behind a Handshake.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I have always liked shaking hands with people. Much more with people who I have a bond with.

Of course, the first thing one might think of is "omg, hands are dirty and icky!" Okay those types of people, go rub hand sanitizer all over yourself and be gone. Some introduction of pathogens into your body is actually beneficial to your immune system.

Anyway, moving on. Yesterday night, I was hanging out and listening to live music down at a local eatery.

A guy came up to me and was like, "hey I remember you! You were in my high school class back in the day!"

I like, "hey howzit?" even though I couldn't quite remember this guy.

I shook his hand, and all of a sudden, I can remember him fully from 6 years ago back in 10th grade. He is a really cool guy, and it was so bizzare how after we shook hands I totally remembered him.

We talked story, and every once in a while, we would shake hands again. You know like the bro handshake. It was almost like the handshakes were helping us to remember each other better.

It was nice to see him, and we gave a final handshake to each other and bid each other farewell.

A strange thought entered my head after this... shaking hands is almost like two ants putting their antennaes together and transferring information. I thought about it more and it really is like that.

So that aspect is really cool.

Handshakes are very important to me. In Hawaii, handshakes between good friends are very heartfelt and genuine. You can feel the other person's mana when you connect like that. I have always thought it was so cool.

Whenever I meet a new person, I make sure I give them a firm handshake. I tend to remember if a person's handshake in our first meeting was firm or flimsy, and people with firm handshakes stand out to me more.

So yeah, I just wanted to bring up this intriguing human phenomenon, and would love to hear your thoughts on it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Typically, I never really liked shaking hands but every time I am presented with hand I feel a part of myself brighten up.

I still have a lot to work on in the hand shake area but I feel that it gives us a sense of comfort spiritually.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Another meaning behind the handshake has been around for 1000's of years. It is a way of two warriors showing that they are not holding a weapon. You make a fine point though.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
bloody good topic i reckon! i have never ever thought about it being like two ants rubbing antenna together before, great analogy !

i do believe in the transference of energy between two people, similar to standing in someone's 'personal space', if you get too close the person feels more uncomfortable and people who live in the country have a greater space around them than city dwellers (sorry, i digress!)

what hand do you shake with by the way? do you find it strange if someone offers you the other hand instead of the right hand which i assume most of society uses...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

My StepDad always told me : The handshake originated as a way for men let one another know they were unarmed.

But, I like your idea much better....what does he know

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I agree Solar about the energy. But I don't remember people by the touch, I remember them by their energy field...

I'm weird and this answer is for Solar, and if you can't relate just bugger off.

When I walk into a room it's like a bit of me goes out and all around the room. I sense the energy people are putting off and I get a feel for that person. It's not anything I can put into words really well, it's like.. I guess smell would be closest but thats not it at all... a sense, of who each person is. Sometimes I get flashes of pictures. These are usually Gestalt type images. Most of the time I can't make anything of them. Sometimes they are horrible. I used to try to deny all this and pretend it didn't exist.

Since I got PTSD my "shields" are down and i get overwhelmed going out in public most days. Walmart drives me crazy, so much negative energy. I can feel anger, etc, rolling off people in waves as they come up to me in line. I used to rationalize it was just reading body language, but it happens even when i can't see a person like they are behind me. I tend to only socialize with those who are neutral to positive as I get drained very quickly otherwise.

While most people can't relate, I find animals do. I put off a friendly energy and sometimes i can engage their energy in return. Only very maltreated animals don't' respond usually. This is why i'm "good with animals."

Again, if you can't relate please keep your comments to yourself, I am responding to a friend per his request. Some people out there will relate as I've met many who have the same sense. I think it is an innate ability in all of us, but some are more sensitive than others.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Indeed my friend. Sometimes I have shaken hands with someone, and I don't exactly like what I am feeling from that person. I also share your sentiments on auras and energy fields in a location. Sometimes I will be feeling good, enjoying the atmosphere of a place, and then one or more people walk in and start throwing off the entire vibe. I hate that.

Moving on,

I would also like to add how certain hands are more compatible with others. There are certain friends that I have that when we shake hands, there is a resounding and satisfying "POP!" effect to it. I love that.

Great responses so far.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
The body remembers "knows" even when the mind has forgotten as every being has it's own unique energy signature " vibration", by touching each other you read each others signature and also the level in which the others persons energy is resonating at. happy
....or.... sad

love or hatred can be instantly detected consciously and unconsciously

kissing another person also helps in the understanding of the others emotional state of being, when kissing you both exchange samples of cells, chemistry, DNA from each others.

the lips are very good at analysing this data and the nose can detect a vast amount of data

touch is tremendously important in our trust and connection too each other.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
My mum told me as a teenager that I should always use a firm handshake as girly shakes are non genuine, just have to be careful as not to break bones lol

s&f for a true teaching

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
When I shake hands with a person, and all I grasp is three fingers, that really makes me wonder 'is he/she human'? I really don't like those limp wristed people who cannot give a decent hand shake, must be something wrong with them.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

I absolutely hate it when their hand just goes limp....

I'm like what in the world is the major malfunction with this person?????

It is highly annoying and I will never look at the person in the same way again.

When I get a nice firm handshake from someone, I actually get a jolt of energy and it puts me in a good mood.

When I get a limp handshake from someone.... I just feel dissapointed and utterly lost.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

As much as I would like to promote the new method of greeting ; the fist bump, for sanitary purposes..

In my opinion It just does not convey the same sense of comraderie that a good old fashioned
handshake can accomplish.

as long as it does not go like this :

www.youtube.com...

~meathead
edit on 13-3-2011 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I'm reminded of the King of the Hill episode, where Hank is considering not voting at all because George Bush gave him a limp handshake.

ETA: Dangit, Meathead beat me to it!

edit on 13-3-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

That is hilarious dude.

But it is so true though, limp handshakes are like wtf???

Man I love this thread. I don't know about you guys, but I have learned a lot today.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I think that it's not so much the handshake, but also the 'connection' you get. During the handshake you almost always look into the person's eyes. This, I think is where the real connection occurs.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Antennas touching!?

your grasp of reality is profound

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
On the same note as handshake, is holding hands.

This also forges a very special bond between two people especially if hands are intertwined for long periods of time. I remember doing this with my ex-girlfriend, and it was very loving and sweet.

I am under the impression that we remember people's hands. Hands are important.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Hands are indeed important. Be careful not to get too caught up in this, many folk have said the exact same things as you about eyes and other body parts..

its very subjective to say the least, but it sounds like the energy channels of your arms are open and functioning in a positive way

resist the urge to hate however as
birds of a similar feather always
tend to flock together

Shake hands with plenty of brothers
Wake the hands of disconnected others

in other words
just remember and keep patience for those with blocked energy channels, as you have noticed many do not "connect" during handshakes as you seem to be able to. maybe try to learn how to wake someones hand up if it feels like it needs revitalising.

peace

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
erm, just to add

before you take my bad advice too literally..

other people may equally have open and functioning energy channels through their arms, but simply be in a different "place" so to speak...
so before you go about offending "disconnected" people with healing vibes (whatever that potentially means to you) .. remeber also that
they may be in a different state of mind to you and therefore a positive "connection" wont occur in the first place...

anyway, this is a complex topic, because people can be so very different to what you at first feel about them. but whatever the case, try to stay positive

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

If touching them a little bit brings back memories, touching em all over will bring it all back.

Find a bed. Get naked. And enjoy the memories.
edit on 20-3-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join