It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG... The Kids Can't Spell!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by OilTycoon

Originally posted by OilTycoon
no you Effin morons.. its through..

It's it's.

it does not take alot more effort to type 2-3 maybe 4 more letters..

Its a lot.

I will fire them the first time it happens..

You sound awful to work for anyway. The only way that is justified is if their job responsibilities include drafting important letters.

You people do know that spelling is not indicative of intelligence or competence, right? Oh lawd. Judging by your sentence fragments you should fire your effin self.

I can't tell from the context of your post what kind of work you tricked these people in to performing for you. But if you were hiring them for their letter writing skills, I would hope you had seen some of their prior writing before you hired them. I am going to assume that spelling is crucial to the quality of their work, because if not I would have no words to describe how disgusted I would be. On the plus side, you can't misspell words that don't exist.

Originally posted by MaryStillToe
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

What matters most is that children are RAISED to know the difference between pop culture and academic or corporate culture. Good parents give their kids the freedom to be themselves while also teaching them about the standards and expectations they need to abide by according to the rest of society.

I fully agree with this. When OP criticizes his daughter's txting habits, I imagine she feels he is trying to control her social life and how she interacts with her friends. Just send her to finishing school if all you care about is that she displays the right characteristics to superficially impress other people.
edit on 13-3-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by cushycrux
Remember, remember...

www.imdb.com...

And here is the "why":

edit on 13-3-2011 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

You get a star for the Idiocracy excerpt.
I don't think the makers could have done it better, a brilliant way to make fun of our idiotic society.

Khar

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I am seeing this a lot on Facebook on my friends teenagers pages...the teens are adding letters to the ends of words, see below some I copied and pasted:

"Whooo imm bordd qett att thee cellyyy iff yhuu aintt qott thee numberr qett at thee inboxx."

" Just Wokee Upp Syddinqq Inn Thee Bedd ! Uqgh Thisx Sprinqq Breakk Went Bhyy Wayy Too Fast
Welpp S.S Laterr F.W.M
"

Oh well.....I just don't know what to think.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If insisting on correct grammar and spelling makes me "elitist", then so be it.

When a student is beyond 7th grade, they should be starting to pay more attention to the details of what they are putting on paper. Disregarding spelling and grammar is considered sloppy in my opinion, and that makes me think that the person's thinking is also sloppy.

I am a speed-reader by habit, and if I have to slow down just so that I can understand the meaning being conveyed in a non-academic missive, then I consider the text not worth reading.

It doesn't take a genius to be able to spell correctly. As far as I'm concerned, a person is not allowed to break the rules of English until they are at least capable of consistently forming a proper sentence.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I've always been a bit of a stickler for spelling. Everyone messes up punctuation now and again, which is understandable.

Text speak entering the spoken language is extremely irritating. My 12 year old nephew has started using LOL as a spoken word expression of mirth. Utterly ridiculous and annoying.

My personal pet peeve is use of loose when intending to use lose. I don't know how this has become such a common mistake that seems to actually be more common than the correct spelling in recent years. I have seen it a million times on the internet, but have even seen it in advertising copy, newspapers and a SAT-C terminal. I just do not get this particular phenomenon. The two words are so obviously different.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

As much as we dislike it, language evolves with us my friend. Men and women from history past may think the way we talk now is terrible, just as you find shorthand to be lacking. But language is ever changing, the dictionary grows, meme's are born, words such as epic and fail become more mainstream... Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's bad.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sharintexas

I have seen that too. I also see a lot of them are adding an extra s to every other word. I see sentences like "I's loves da cats's." So I know what you are talking about. I can understand slang and fads with phrases. We have all went through either "groovy" stages or "bomb-diggity/awesome" stages, but I can't every recall any of my past teachers not caring how many spelling errors we made on anything. Even history test answers were marked wrong if the spelling was off. If not marked flat out wrong, the teacher atleast marked it in red and gave the correct spelling on the side.

I can't help but think that if severe spelling is allowed to pass through, the children will not be able to read the correct word correctly when they see it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaryStillToe

Your issue or rant just doesn't sit well with me.

First off, as a parent, if you want your child to be well read, well written, and well spoken in the English language, then why would you enable your 13 year old to spend so much time texting by giving them unlimited access? Why does a 13 year old need to text nevermind have a cellphone in the first place? If the phone is for emergency purposes, the texting feature is not mandatory and can be disabled by the service provider.

Second, the popular culture for kids right now is to purposely mispell words when they are talking to their friends. I don't really get it, but I play online games and see it all the time.

What matters most is that children are RAISED to know the difference between pop culture and academic or corporate culture. Good parents give their kids the freedom to be themselves while also teaching them about the standards and expectations they need to abide by according to the rest of society. As they grow into adults, then they can choose what they want for themselves in life. You sound a tad controlling.

Reading comprehension would have made it clear in my original post that limits were set on it. If I didn't have to pay 10 cents per message after 50, then I could have left it on limited. I pay for unlimited for us all, but have her phone set up for a max of around 200 a month. That's not a ton for a 30 day period.

Since we have had 2 instances of children bringing guns to school here in the last few years and I help take care of my mother I felt it was necessary for her to be able to reach any family member at any time. If (God forbid) a hostage situation (or worse) came from either of those 2 gun scenarios, I would want her to have access to any phone anywhere in the building. I don't expect you to understand that since 2 years ago I felt the same way about children and cell phones. You say language changes... so do the times we live in sadly.

As far as being overly controlling and corrective of her mistakes? You even said they need to be *RAISED* to know the difference. Well, if school isn't doing it, who should? I am *RAISING* her to know there is a difference. Is it just considered controlling when I do it?
edit on 3/13/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Star for you as well for this observation alone.

I notice this a lot. I have seen people who hit the wrong key on the cash register and start freaking out because they can't figure out what change is owed! Some even go as far as to break out a calculator to figure it up. I have heard customers tell them what is owed, and they just hand it over. I have yet to hear anyone lie, but I am sure it happens from time to time.

Back when I used to get carded, I ran into a lot of folks who would askfor id and then stare at it for 5 minutes trying to add it up.

There are very intelligent folks that I have known who could not read or write. My uncle could not do either, but could build a house perfectly from top to bottom. Sadly many did think he was slow and unintelligent because he lacked these basic skills. Right or wrong, this is how people are viewed. This is why I find it important.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
My son's teacher sent me a note two weeks ago and in it she wrote "lier" TWICE, instead of liar.
She wasn't calling him a liar, just that he said, "I'm not a liar."
What? I'm sometimes thought of as sounding redneck, but I always try to know the proper usage of the English language, just so I know the difference. People who cuss and slang around all the time tend to have other problems besides demeanor, like what they're talking about.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by juniperberry

I am a speed-reader by habit, and if I have to slow down just so that I can understand the meaning being conveyed in a non-academic missive, then I consider the text not worth reading.

How nice of you to discount the missives of those you deem intellectually inferior. Your speed reading skills make me think you probably have a high IQ. However, your sardonic demeanor leads me to believe you have a low EQ. Just as people are quick to disregard the thoughts of someone who is intellectually retarded, people also disregard those who are emotionally retarded.

It doesn't take a genius to be able to spell correctly.

Nor does spelling correctly a genius make. Some of the smartest people are terrible spellers. Good spelling is the result of brain chemistry that promotes specific pattern recognition and memory recollection. I am terrible at basic maths, making me slow at counting back change. However, my higher maths and logic (computer programming) skills are well above average.

Different folks with different strokes; you spell ying not sees R off full blowx

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

[color=dodgerblue]I used to work at a pizza place and one day we got a new girl.

A few days later the new girl was gone.

I asked the boss, "Where did whatever-her-name-was go?".

His reply was, "We had to let her go because she thought a quarter was worth 20 cents!"

She was giving almost every customer at least one extra quarter and when asked for change she was giving 5 quarters instead of 4!
edit on 14-3-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-3-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I constantly see misspelled words on the handouts given as homework to my granchildren. I constantly see misspelled words and improper grammar on correspondence from the teachers themselves.

If the instructors are making these mistakes, how can they teach the children?

Perhaps proper spelling isn't important in the "grand scheme" of life, but I sure hope my doctor knows how to spell the names of the medications he prescribes

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Dear Kangarue,

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
This is between a social issue and a rant I suppose. I will admit right off to some misspelling and improper punctuation that will inevitably find it's way into this post... Nobody is perfect, and I am not trying to be a "spelling nazi". I am concerned though by the complete lack of emphasis put on spelling in schools lately.

I agree. Spelling in kids these days sucks. But I have issues with just about everything else you said. So let's get started.

My daughter is 13. Last year we allowed her to have her first cellphone. Not wanting to mortage the house for text usage, she was given unlimited texting access. We had established rules of usage, amounts of usage, etc. Text "lingo" is a major annoyance for me personally. The use of ur instead of you are is like nails on a chalkboard.

...few things. Why have amounts of usage rules if you have an unlimited plan? Also you try writing out thoughts on that small keyboard and spelling everything out. Texting is meant to be fast. The point is to summarize.

One of the rules I had was no shorthand. The IMO, or LOL aren't what I disagree with. It's the shortening of every word used that does it. As teenagers I feel it is important to learn different words, and b4, U2 wat, u, is not encouraging better spelling habits either.

As explained in my last comment. Texting is shorthand. Don't you take shorthand notes?

Once in awhile I will check her phone (I know someone will disagree) and the few messages I have ever seen are like trying to decipher ancient text. "Reaking" instead of "wrecking", "dreem" instead of "dream", and the list goes on. Some are not even in the ballpark of close. Again, I make spelling mistakes still today, but these words are pretty easy. I could chalk it up to one or two children that may have a harder time learning, but it is almost every friend!

Yikes calling every youth that uses shorthand mentally challenged? :|

If I checked it more than once every few weeks I am sure I could find more. On top of that, when the recent debate about schools not teaching cursive writing anymore came out, I told my daughter about it. She wasn't surprised.
She said only she and two others (in classes of 25 to 30) knew how to write it now. This amazed me. A lot of historical documents are written in script. If one can not write it, then one can not read it.

I can't write cursive but I can read it just fine. Just like some people can talk our language but not read it.

She said the teachers informed them that in the texting and computer age, cursive was becoming obsolete. Seeing how most text and chat, this may not be a good thing. I can't nitpick on trivial errors, as I make them often. But the sad fact is, people look at very poor spelling/grammar as a lack of intelligence regardless if it is true or not. The english language seems to be a dying language.

Our language is dieing? I don't believe you.

Did you know that almost every country other than America teaches their children english at a very early age? I have a french friend who is 14 and he speaks both french and english very well.

I still run across words that I will look up the definition for, I try to communicate in a semi intelligent manner, and I still try to catch any spelling mistakes. Sadly I think our children are not being taught to do the same.

Who needs definitions when we have context clues? Definitions are boring!

Ex.

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

"Teacher I dun no wut liberty means!!!!"

Teacher: "What were the Colonists fighting England about?"

You can figure out what liberty means through this. This is how we learn words in general.

I have pointed out mistakes in spelling on my daughter's homework only to be told the teacher didn't care.
Then I have to tell her that I care, and she should too. If the english teacher doesn't care, why sould the kids?

1, Kids lie. No english teacher is going to not care about spelling.

2, You do have a point. If the teacher doesn't care the kids won't.

Here in Kentucky the school system is structured like this:

k-5 = Elementry

6-8 = Junior High

9-12 = High School

The first few years in Junior High the teachers are always super strict and forgiving. Now why is this?

The reasoning is that it teaches kids how life works. When you enter Junior High you're a baby. Expecting teachers to care. They don't always do that. The good teachers will teach you that. So later on (8th gradeish) the teachers lighten up. You already know the rules and ect.

Did that make any sense? lol I think I got my point across.

What will other countries (like Japan who pride themselves on education) think of our future leaders if none of them are able to communicate coherently? (yes I am ready for Bush jokes) Will they be taken seriously if the first line of a speech consists of "O-M-G that debt is sick!"? Because not only is everyone texting shorthand, they have obviously started "speaking" it.

Maybe your daughter has started speaking it. But I surely haven't.

To be completely honest Ma'am most teenagers don't represent the world. Teenagers do stupid things. They act stupid like that for attention. They think it makes them cool...and all this coming from a teenager.

(Well legal adult teen. But still. Lol)

Trends change and with them so do the kids.

I see this becoming more socially acceptable. Should it be? Does technology excuse "deer vs. dear"? (Once again.. I am sure there are plenty of errors here to pick on. Unless an error consists of sea vs. see, or be vs. bee that is not what I am referencing here. )

"see vs sea" That's a bigger problem right there. LOL

If kids don't know (I forget the grammatical name for words like that but it exists. I KNOW IT DOES) different spellings of words that sound the same. Well, that's a problem.

Sincerely,

Drew [The Kool Kat] Jefferson
Not really my name. But if it was...it would be awesome.

EDIT: Homophones. They are called Homophones.
edit on 3/16/2011 by drew1749 because: Homophones ARE AMAZINGZORS!!!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I've written threads in the past that deride the poor grammar and spelling that can be found on ATS. Usually, the author makes excuses for the people who can't spell (dyslexia, english as a second language) as a way of justifying their mistakes.

To be honest, I give up. I will focus more on honing what I was taught in school as a boy, where the teachers obviously cared enough to teach us creative writing and spelling/punctuation.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I feel that cursive writing is obsolete and people shouldn't shed tears for the loss of it. I'd recommend that schools offer it as an elective for those who wish to learn. Otherwise, we're not missing out on much by not teaching it regularly.

I'm horrible with cursive writing and have been since the 2nd grade.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

I'm horrible with cursive writing and have been since the 2nd grade.

Oh me also. The only thing I care to learn is a signature.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

There's nothing "elitist" about being able to spell and write a proper sentence.

You've obviously been listening to the wrong people over the years.

This country is going downhill because people are attacking other intelligent people, calling them "elitists" and flaunting their poor grammar and spelling.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
In my line of work I've had to read, edit and critique all sorts of documents from grade school book reports to university papers to the resumes of job searching adults.

It's amazing what people assume is passable these days. Grown adults with at least high school educations and some with college degrees hand me documents in "leet" speak and "text" talk without any formatting whatsoever.

I don't know what the hell they teach in school.

Don't get me started on interviewing skills.

In the past few years I have truly come to believe that just showing up makes one a god among maggots. Add to your supernatural ability of showing up articulate speech and a presentable polite attitude and you'll be no less than the master of the universe.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I never really understood linguistic elitists. "Oh I know 10 different big words, that mean the same as a smaller, easier to pronounce word, I am special!" No, you really aren't, you just memorize things that are important to you, and for some reason you chose words. Some people, can tell you every player for their favorite sports team, position, and stats. They memorized what is important to them.

The way of the paper is dieing, and rightfully so. In ten years, they will give out laptops every few years, because it will be cheaper to buy a laptop with some ebooks installed for everyone, instead of buying physical text books. You can type a million pages, and never use a single tree. That seems like a good thing to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join