It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG... The Kids Can't Spell!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
This is between a social issue and a rant I suppose. I will admit right off to some misspelling and improper punctuation that will inevitably find it's way into this post... Nobody is perfect, and I am not trying to be a "spelling nazi". I am concerned though by the complete lack of emphasis put on spelling in schools lately.

My daughter is 13. Last year we allowed her to have her first cellphone. Not wanting to mortage the house for text usage, she was given unlimited texting access. We had established rules of usage, amounts of usage, etc.

Text "lingo" is a major annoyance for me personally. The use of ur instead of you are is like nails on a chalkboard. One of the rules I had was no shorthand. The IMO, or LOL aren't what I disagree with. It's the shortening of every word used that does it. As teenagers I feel it is important to learn different words, and b4, U2 wat, u, is not encouraging better spelling habits either.

Once in awhile I will check her phone (I know someone will disagree) and the few messages I have ever seen are like trying to decipher ancient text. "Reaking" instead of "wrecking", "dreem" instead of "dream", and the list goes on. Some are not even in the ballpark of close. Again, I make spelling mistakes still today, but these words are pretty easy. I could chalk it up to one or two children that may have a harder time learning, but it is almost every friend! If I checked it more than once every few weeks I am sure I could find more.

On top of that, when the recent debate about schools not teaching cursive writing anymore came out, I told my daughter about it. She wasn't surprised.
She said only she and two others (in classes of 25 to 30) knew how to write it now. This amazed me. A lot of historical documents are written in script. If one can not write it, then one can not read it. She said the teachers informed them that in the texting and computer age, cursive was becoming obsolete. Seeing how most text and chat, this may not be a good thing.

I can't nitpick on trivial errors, as I make them often. But the sad fact is, people look at very poor spelling/grammar as a lack of intelligence regardless if it is true or not. The english language seems to be a dying language. I still run across words that I will look up the definition for, I try to communicate in a semi intelligent manner, and I still try to catch any spelling mistakes. Sadly I think our children are not being taught to do the same. I have pointed out mistakes in spelling on my daughter's homework only to be told the teacher didn't care.
Then I have to tell her that I care, and she should too. If the english teacher doesn't care, why sould the kids?

What will other countries (like Japan who pride themselves on education) think of our future leaders if none of them are able to communicate coherently? (yes I am ready for Bush jokes) Will they be taken seriously if the first line of a speech consists of "O-M-G that debt is sick!"? Because not only is everyone texting shorthand, they have obviously started "speaking" it.

I see this becoming more socially acceptable. Should it be? Does technology excuse "deer vs. dear"?

(Once again.. I am sure there are plenty of errors here to pick on. Unless an error consists of sea vs. see, or be vs. bee that is not what I am referencing here.
)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I used to be pretty good at spelling, but overuse of the spellchecker has made me borderline retarded at spelling.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I don't even wonder any more why literacy is taking a plunge. I just watched a laundry detergent commercial (think it was Gain) where they claim it will make your day 'gooder'

I don't even know what to say... it's almost like they're trying to make everyone 'more stupider'.

I know for one, I will not be picking up any Gain, ever, just because of that commercial.

Khar

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

I often think that by the time I retire, (Im 30 now) the english language may be only somewhat related to the language that I grew up with. I already cant keep up with all of the acronyms. ttyl omg, ftw, fml......

I think we will see language change a lot in the next 30 years,

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

Ugh! I know what you mean. I saw a (If I recall correctly the product) a Proactive commercial that said it was now "More gentler". I thought it has to be one or the other. It is either "gentler" or "more gentle". I also would not purchase that product because the commercial is "more annoyinger".

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I am a bit of a spelling nazi because I am a firm believer that one must have a grasp of the basics to be an effective communicator. I also believe it has a direct correlation with reading comprehension. Majority of people on this site think the word theory is synonymous with thesis and it derails a debate completely.

Now they want to remove cursive from schools? I realize that because of computers that physical writing is used less but it hasn't totally disappeared.

Edit: Haha, 2 am spelling fail
edit on 13-3-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

That's a good point. I use dictionary.com a lot because the older I get, the worse my memory of spelling/usage gets. It is more convenient to do that than actually sit and try to recall what is right. That just makes it easier to forget more. It is awesome to have that capability, but it does become a crutch.

Use it or lose it I guess.
Again... great point.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
I am a bit of a spelling nazi because I am a firm believer that one must have a grasp of the basics to be an effective communicator. I also believe it has a direct correlation with reading comprehension. Majority of people on this site think the word theory is synonymous with thesis and it derails a debate completely.

Now they want to remove cursive from schools? I realize that because of computers that physical writing is used less but it hasn't totally disappeared.

Edit: Haha, 2 am spelling fail
edit on 13-3-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

Cursive writing has been on the downfall for quite some time...

www.parentdish.com...

So Much For Penmanship, School Replaces Cursive With Keyboarding

Parents of third-graders in that district recently received a letter stating that lesson time previously spent on teaching cursive handwriting will now be used to teach keyboarding instead, according to a story in The Indianapolis Star.

"It is clear to us that cursive is becoming more obsolete," Donna Petraits, the district's director of communications, told The Indianapolis Star. "We are hearing equal amounts of praise and criticism on this decision, which we fully expected."

I try to correct any mistakes I make. I have a bigger problem with punctuation more than anything usually. I agree with your post too. I know it is important to try and get your point across without looking lke hooked on phonics didn't work for you. There are plenty of mistakes most can and do overlook, however writing a 2 page post where you need your "Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring" to unerstand it does put people off. Fair or not, it is reality.

Your edit made me giggle
. I read my OP atleast 5 times before I hit post and am still sure I missed something.

edit on 3/13/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Star for you along with the others, because I could not agree with you more.

In a language that the word "sick" is now used to describe something really good, and "phat" is awesome while "fat" is not (breath
) your prediction seems dead on the money.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

I try to be as on the ball with my own spelling and grammar as possible but sometimes it escapes me. At least I am not a text-typer or chatspeaker.

I'm still in college and whenever I write exams I use cursive because I find writing faster and neater. Which is technically true because while printing you lift the pen/pencil off the page while as cursive you keep it flowing, an added benefit while test taking.

If there is an error above... too bad. It's late and I'll wear the irony proudly.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron

I just watched a laundry detergent commercial (think it was Gain) where they claim it will make your day 'gooder'

I don't even know what to say... it's almost like they're trying to make everyone 'more stupider'.

I know for one, I will not be picking up any Gain, ever, just because of that commercial.

Khar

Gooder is a legitimate word. I don't know why use of a word - especially one with such an obvious meaning (it means more good) would annoy anyone. You all sound like elitist snobs quibbling over all the lesser people who ain't got the same choice in words and spelling as ya'll.

You know words are just made up right? So long as a word conveys the feeling or meaning of the speakers or writers intent, I don't see the problem. U no WAT i mean?

Last I heard, reading books is the best way to strengthen your vocabulary, not texting out full words like "you too". The effect of writing U2 instead just seems minuscule in effect compared to the other variables related to language development.

It is even possible that being able to read and write in SMS short hand and l33t sp33k is actually good for the mind. It is all pattern recognition and recollection. The fact it took you so long to decipher her messages could be a sign of failing mental faculties grandpa. Doing simple puzzles or writing in a somewhat cryptic manner is an easy way to stimulate the mind.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

Why is it elitist to want your children to know how to spell and be well read? That doesn't make any sense at all. We (I guess most of us) would like for our children to be well educated and know how to spell basic words so others will take them seriously.

I doubt even McD's would hire someone who put IDK, heres my contact number I'll TTYL, and wat qualifications I can offer, etc. on their job application.

Even some teachers in this link claim that they are seeing text "lingo" pop up in school work and college applications.

www.amny.com...

There is a time and place for most anything. I can't see any situation where having a child that can spell most words correctly is a detriment.

And if you are going to throw insults, please make them gender correct. That would be grandma instead of grandpa. TIA...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

We (I guess most of us) would like for our children to be well educated and know how to spell basic words so others will take them seriously.

The bolded text is representative of the elitist attitude I wrote of in my last post. When people look at the language a person uses - instead of the meaning behind that language - it is an intellectually elitist mindset used to look down on another person for superficial reasons.

Also, I think McD's is most likely to hire someone with poor spelling and grammar. My experience is you can not secure any low level job like that with any sort of credentials. I took a resume to a gas station and was immediately told "Whoa! You have a resume? I can already tell you you have too much smarts for this job." I laughed, he wasn't joking, but it was still funny.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Remember, remember...

www.imdb.com...

And here is the "why":

edit on 13-3-2011 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Not only can they not spell...

They also cannot count change.

Very sad if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
FINALLY..
I agree.. HUGE thing with me..

and my personal favorite.. THRU..
no you Effin morons.. its through..

it does not take alot more effort to type 2-3 maybe 4 more letters..

bad thing is.. this crap is starting to slip into people everyday work papers..
imagine my reaction when Im giving a presentation and I see
thu... ur.. wat.. etc etc..

I will fire them the first time it happens..

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I use google chrome browser. Its faster, lighter and just all around better than the other browsers, the best part is it comes with built in spell checker that shows you your mistakes as you type them.

One day in the future people will use their voices on their cell phones.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by OilTycoon
FINALLY..
I agree.. HUGE thing with me..

and my personal favorite.. THRU..
no you Effin morons.. its through..

Well when most of them go through drive through "drive-thru"s you have to relearn how to spell. I get just as salty when I see Americanized spelling, honor instead of honour, humor/humour, color/colour etc....

link   

Your issue or rant just doesn't sit well with me.

First off, as a parent, if you want your child to be well read, well written, and well spoken in the English language, then why would you enable your 13 year old to spend so much time texting by giving them unlimited access? Why does a 13 year old need to text nevermind have a cellphone in the first place? If the phone is for emergency purposes, the texting feature is not mandatory and can be disabled by the service provider.

Second, the popular culture for kids right now is to purposely mispell words when they are talking to their friends. I don't really get it, but I play online games and see it all the time.

What matters most is that children are RAISED to know the difference between pop culture and academic or corporate culture. Good parents give their kids the freedom to be themselves while also teaching them about the standards and expectations they need to abide by according to the rest of society. As they grow into adults, then they can choose what they want for themselves in life. You sound a tad controlling.

link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

...And then they will no longer be able to write a word.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join