It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun only showing Half??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
anyone know whats going on with the sun at this link...sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov... (THEY FIXED THIS LINK)? Very confused and GLP is going nuts. Anyone want to shed some light on whats happening?

Also this link seemed to stir people up as well -
stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Here is a SCREENSHOT of what i was seeing VIA the first link -

What is going on....? Thanks in advance for the answers!

edit on 13-3-2011 by cabuki because: Link was fixed

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
looks like now it is fixed...Here is the screenshot of what i was seeing...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I dont know what Im looking at. Can some one explain to me lol
As I have no clue...

Thanx

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Not sure I'm understanding your post. 2nd link shows image from 2010. 1st link show normal images of the sun

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Apparently only seeing half of the sun is NOT GOOD. I dont understand what was so crazy about these images, i hope we get a smart on here soon

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cabuki

If I´m not mistaken, something similar happened last week.

I think it was supposed to be the moon that passed between SDO and the sun.

I´ll try and find the thread.

Here it is,

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 13-3-2011 by UrgentInsurgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Ahhh ok. I figured that was the case. They were making it sound like it was a ground breaking run for your life event. Wasnt looking for any S or F, Just some answers. Thanks for the link!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by cabuki

That´s ok, it is not something that is announced to happen beforehand, apparently.

When I saw the first thread last week I was pretty surprised too.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cabuki

heres a reccomendation - instead of relying on edited digital images and ostings on web forums - try actually going out at looking at the sun

S - i shouldnt NEED to give any warning - but never stare directly into the sun , or point unfiltered optical devices directly at the sun

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

To be fair, the sun does set for some period of time during the night, therefore making it impossible to actually see whether there is an issue or not
lol

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by cabuki

Hi cabuk,

You know this is interesting as far as timing cuz I didn't even know that this thread existed before I was checking out an image of the Sun here....

Current Solar Activity

I was thinking wow I've never seen such a huge space in the Sun before (on a digital image) and so I decided to look to see if anyone was talking about it on ATS recent threads and I loaded the page once and scrolled down and that's how I just found your thread here.

Wonder if the "supermoon" has anything to do with the activity on the Sun now? (The supermoon is the full Moon at pedigree that's comes closest to the Earth in 18 years, if I'm understanding it correctly. Please know that I'm might have that wrong so don't quote me on it.
).

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by UrgentInsurgent

Hi Urgentlnsurgent,

Thanks for the link!

I'll check it out..

Toni

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
it cant be the moon because the soho satalites are in the L1 lagrange point and either side of the sun
so the moon canot get in the way unless these are ground based observations

The L1 point of the Earth-Sun system affords an uninterrupted view of the sun and is currently home to the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory Satellite SOHO. The L2 point of the Earth-Sun system is home to the WMAP spacecraft and (perhaps by the year 2014) the James Webb Space Telescope. The L1 and L2 points are unstable on a time scale of approximately 23 days, which requires satellites parked at these positions to undergo regular course and attitude corrections.

source HERE

does anyone know which telescope took the pics?
xploder

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Oh yeah I forgot. I was going to mention that solar wind simulator is not operational at this time.

Bummer because I'm curious about that too. The page for the SWS simulator says...

"Solar wind simulation is currently out of service."
www2.nict.go.jp...

I'll go see if I can drum up some other info on solar wind. I'm sure there's something out there.

I'm just wondering if it's a coincidence or if someone's trying to hide something.

Hmmm.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Hi XPLodER,

So, it seems you did pick up on what I was getting at when I brought up the Supermoon as a possible cause or blame for a gravitational or more stronger force effect on the current Sun activity, since, if the Moon is coming closer to Earth. I hadn't checked to see where the Moon is now in relation to position. That does make a difference.

Thank you very much for that very interesting bit of info.

Toni

P.S. Sorry I don't know which scope took the pics.

edit on 13-3-2011 by Antoniastar because: I togrof.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
i found this www.youtube.com...

and also

www.hashemstudios-board.com...

idk what it is could possibly be a malfunction with the lens or maybe something passing through between the sun and the scope.

pretty strange though.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
sdoisgo.blogspot.com...
www.lmsal.com...
Previous eclipse season images.

So we are in eclipse season now. It is the Earth moving between the SDO and the Sun.
And yes those pics are from the SDO.

new topics

top topics

join