It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Your Favorite Sci Fi or Fantasy Novel.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

I have always wondered about this book. I have never owned a copy but I am going to put it on my e-reader and get to it this Summer. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
There's a trilogy I should have mentions earlier. The Traveller books by John Twelvehawks. A stunning near future dystopian nightmare. Anyone who likes ATS ought to love it.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The Baby-Eating Aliens

Interesting and very well written story about how to reconcile incompatible moralities among three different space-faring species, with two endings. Which one would YOU choose?

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
My votes go to (in order)

1. The Dark Tower by Stephen King
- this series took most of my lifespan to complete. I started reading "The Gunslinger" in 1983 (I was 11, and a big D&D player)...and finished "The Dark Tower" in 2008. Basically, I've been on the road to Can'-Ka No Rey with Roland et al for 25 years. Cried when finished the series. Glad to hear "The Wind Through the Keyhole" will be coming soon. It will fit sequence wise between books 4 and 5. Don't know how well that will work, but since book 4 "Wizard and Glass" was basically a look-back at the time before and leading up to Farson's war and The Battle of Jericho Hill, it should fit right into the story sequence-wise.

I also loved the fact that he has tied many of his other works into the DT series, notably "The Stand" and "'Salem's Lot", and includes many many others, further giving evidence to the existence of a Stephen King Universe...don't know if that's ever been done before by any author.

2. A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin.
- was very heavily encouraged to pick these up by my lit major roomie in grad school, but I must admit did not actually finish "A Game of Thrones" until got word of the HBO series in production. The meticulous characterizations are impressive, but pale in comparison to the sheer number of plots, sub plots and wheels spinning all over the place within the work, and I'm only half-way through book II "Clash of Kings"

I have to give mention of the "Dragon Lance" books...poster made me smile to remember those endless summer nights in Jr High reading about Tannis Half-Elvin and Raistlin. Very well written books, don't know if I would be as into them as an adult.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I am just about always down for anything 'Arthurian'. I like some of the new interpretations. The last of that I have read is 3 out of the 5 A.A. Attanasio novels. The Ar-Thor stuff.

If you like Arthurian novels, you should check out the trilogy by Mary Stewart. It's the best rendition I've read thus far.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314440697&sr=1-1

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
"Armor" by John Steakley. One of my all-time favorite books of any genre. It was amazing.

en.wikipedia.org...(novel)

A few other notable favorites:

"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.
"Level 7" by Mordecai Roshwald
"The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman
"World War Z" by Max Brooks

"Gantz" if you count graphic novels.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Always been a sci fi and fantasy book nerd, ever since high school. I got fed up with the history books and all other books I was reading at the time. So one day while in the store I picked a book to read during class or recess in the library. So I just grabbed the first book I seen off the store shelve that looked like it would have adventure and a good story, and I confess I grabbed because the cover looked interesting, I didn't even bother to read the back to see what it was about.

Anyways that book was "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan. And I have read sci fi books and fantasy books before but that book, and the timing in my life in being feed up with other subjects really got me hooked into fantasy and sci fi books, from then on.

Here are some of the authors and books that I liked.

Robert Jordan and his wheel of time books that I mentioned already, are one of my favorites reads I had.

L.E Modesitt JR. Is also a good writer and his Saga of Recluse books are interesting, my favorite in those were the towers of sunset and the magic of recluse.

Tad Williams is also another writer who's books I remember reading. And his Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series. And also his Otherland series of books were pretty good reads.

Sara Douglass....And DarkGlass Mountain books.

Brandon Sanderson...And the mistborn trilogy was an interesting read.

Robin Hobb...And the Farseer and The Tawny Man trilogies.

Currently I am reading George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books. I am almost at the end of book 3, and thought I read it sparingly because I don't have the time really, it is an interesting series and story so far.

And pretty much all the other books that I would recommend have already been recommended in this thread. But I don't know about making any of the above into movies, sure it could be done. But can they do them right, is always the case. Any of them could be either totally epic in movie form or totally crappy.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
reply to post by warbird03

Yes, you bet I loved them when I was little...

You know I remember reading that book when I was like 14 yrs old, and I forgot completely what it is about, i mean the whole story just vanished from my head, but I remember that I read it and I remember the cover art.

And also another book I enjoyed reading from when I was around 13-14 yrs old. The Eyes Of Kid Midas, by Neal Shusterman.

Man I am actually taking down some notes on any future books I will be looking at and buying, from some of the suggestions in this thread. Like The Stars My Destination that you mentioned op, The forever war. and Dhalgren and all other's that I have not heard of or read before, they all sound interesting.

And I will buy "a wrinkle in time again" and re read it, because I really remember enjoying reading that book, but I don't/can't remember what it was about at all.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I must say I have really been getting into Warhammer 40,000 novels finishing up path of the seer then perhaps Path of the warrior next. Though I did also buy Horus Hersey - Horus Rising. Not too bad and rather enjoy them thanks to the Kindle as well.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I know this is a bit pre-tweeny, but I still absolutely love the Deltora Quest series , they already made an anime version of it, but nothing would beat it if it were a movie!

P.s
Yay to reading

edit on 18-9-2011 by Mentalistbee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein

I don't know what to say to make this post interesting. Me just really digs Heinelin and TMIAHM is one of my favorite all time books.

TANSTAAFL!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The Dragonlance Saga
The Necroscope series
and the Legend of Drizzt saga

more than enough to make multiple sequels for years to come.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Whoa - think about it - Piers Anthony's Blue Adept series. All the serfs on Proton are naked. Get some hot babes and you have a blockbuster!!

Ok, seriously, it would be cool, two identical planets, sentient robots and the game, man that game rocks! Hopefully someday in the future the technology will allow us to play the game.

Robert Asprin's Myth series would make a good comedy series.

I could also dig on Thieves' World but I won't hold my breath. Even if it does get done it will probably not live up to how good the books were.

Twilight Eyes has already been made into a movie, for the most part. It's called They Live. But go ahead and make a flick, as they are remaking They Live and they most assuredly will screw it all up.

Anyone ever read the books Hiero's Journey and Unforsaken Hiero by Sterling Lanier? Guy was a descendant of a Civil War vet who was a poet and he wrote very little but those two books are pretty good. He never finished them for some reason. Don't know if it would work visually as the guy is telepathic with his moose(IIRC, been a while). Have to go back and read them again.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

World War Z" by Max Brooks

Supposedly, this film is in the works...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It has to be Game of Thrones. That book rocks.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join