It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End to Juvenile executions urged

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
In a storyin the Washington Post by Alan Cooperman. A broad array of individuals, including former President Jimmy Carter, Mikail Gorbechev, and groups like the AMA and conference of Bishops are urging the supreme court to declare that it is unconstitutional to execute people for crime committed before they turn 18.
The United States is one of only five countries that execute juvenile offenders, a practise that shocks european allies.

I think it should be stopped! Most teenagers do not have the maturity level to understand thier actions, Jail time yes execution NO.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I disagree and believe it should be taken on a case by case basis. I believe there are some who know good and well exactly what they are doing. They kill for sport and place no value on human life. Jail time will only put them in cold storage until they can get out and do it again. I'll go even further... when I read the following, I felt that even at 10, these boys were ripe for execution.

crime.miningco.com...

Instead, they do a few years and get out to have new identities to protect them so they can get on with their lives. Meanwhile, the victim's family has to live with the knowledge that these guys get a chance at living. It's only one of many cases of this type and it's sickening. I don't care how old you are, unless you can prove diminished capacity, you KNOW what you're doing when you murder someone, especially by beating them to death. You know what's happening when you torture someone. Just because they're young doesn't mean they can't be just as evil and wretched as an adult.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
They may be just as"evil and wretched" as an adult, but because of age they may still be rehabilitated and learn the right way to live in society, the answer to murder is NOT murder escpecially in children

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
If they are old enough to kill someone in cold blood, then yes, they are old enough to get the injection.

I dont buy this crap they arent old enough or mature enough to understand. They know far better than adults think. The crimes that constitute the death penalty are crimes that are horrendous and cold blooded and calculated, with no remorse. A 16 year old is more than able to understand.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It isn't that they don't understand what they are doing, they most likely do in most cases, what they don't get is the consequences ,the idea of actual death is foreign to them, it is as if it can't happen to them, they don't understand the finality of death itself.

But in either senario, executions are not the answer-we do not live in a eye for eye society and i for one hope we never do.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
They understand consequences more than you think. They are alot smarter and more mature.

And i doubt they can be rehabilitated. Once a dog tastes human blood, he becomes more likely to attack more.

Most juviniles that commit crimes end up getting out and doping it again and again. the more violent the crime, the more likely they will do it.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I agree with Skadi. If you are old enough to kill in cold blood on purpose, then you should get executed.

I don't care if your 13, 16, 17 or 11. If you went on a rampage like the DC snipers or the Columbine kids (if they had survived, hell yes to that injection), you should get what you deserve.

I don't like this crap that "They are not mature enough or they don't know what they are doing". Come on by 11 or even 10, you should know right from wrong. I can see if the kid is 6 and accidently shot daddy in the head, but not when the little punk is 13.

Stop babying the kids, I was not babied. I did something wrong, I would get punished. Either I was spanked, or went to bed without TV, video games, or desert. It worked for me and kept me from getting into gangs, drugs, and killing. I knew if I killed another man in cold blood, I would not only go to jail, I would first get the # kicked out of me. I was'nt abused or anything like that. I belive spanking your kid works.

Besides, it takes a really heinous crime to get death, such as double murder, or a really macabre murder. If your 15 and you kill a woman, and her kids, you know you did wrong, and you do deserve death.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
You cannot tell me that some people have not given up their right to live.

The boy (12) who raped a 6 year old and when she would not stop crying he killed her a stuffed her under the bed.

Damer(nuff said)

Manson(nuff said)

Man in Columbus Ohio who stabbed and beat his own parents to death. Went to the big dirt nap 7/20/04 by the way.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
God playing is not the answer, we have no more right to take a life than the person who committed the murder, how come it "Murder" for them and "Justice" for us what gives us the right to decide?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It is murder for them because they killed an innocent person.

It is justice for us since, we are repaying those killed by putting their killer to death and help ease the pain of the familly.

I have no sympathy for anyone who kills in cold blood. That 12 year old boy? Send him to death row, ASAP. I'm tired of people sticking up for the rights of the killer and not the killed.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Jeffery Dahlmer and Charles Manson were not children when they committed thier crimes, also Manson was not executed he is still in prison.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
Jeffery Dahlmer and Charles Manson were not children when they committed thier crimes, also Manson was not executed he is still in prison.

Manson was sentenced to death. However, while he was in prison, the death penalty was banned in the US, and his sentence, along with other members of the Family, were reduced from death to life with the possiblity for parole (I read the Manson book Helter Skelter not too long ago). He was denied parole a couple years ago, and up for parole again in 2007. He won't ever get out, though. I can't see that happening. He's too dangerous a man, even in old age.

Speaking of Manson, I saw an odd thing a few weeks ago. I was walking down the street and I saw a black guy riding a bike, and he was wearing a Manson T-shirt. It doesn't make much sense. Manson's whole reason for the murders was to blame the murders on blacks to start a white-black race war.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Hey Jeez by the way,

How about if we just have these poor misunderstood kids stay at your house? You can help raise them till they can go back to society.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Funny,.... but I am not trained in sociopathic behavior other wise ,I would. I do have a teenager(not a murderer) at home and have some inkling on how their minds work.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I am sure you are well versed on teenagers.

But answer the question you started. These are sociopathic kids,

what do we do with them if they store dead 6 year old under their bed?That implies they know what they did was wrong.

Jail? How long? Till 18? 21? Til they are not a danger? If that means the rest of their lives is that a death sentence then?
Will you help pay to feed and clothe and pay his medical expenses for 70 years? Put them in to get raped in prison? Isn't that cruel?

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A five year old who steals candy from a store and tries to hide it knows what he/she did was wrong too dosen't mean they can not be taught that it is wrong, as far as how long it would rehabilitation would take,it would vary in each case, as far as tax money is concerned I think it would be well worth every cent if the end result was a normal person released into society!

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Heres a few stats. I think they pretty much speak for themselves:

The five countries mentioned that execute juveniles are the U.S, China, The Democratic Republic of Congo and Iran. Pakistan and China recently gave up the practice, leaving the U.S in the highly respectable company of Iran and the DRC. In the past five years the U.S has executed more Juvenile criminals than all the above countries put together (13, 8 of them in Texas, compared to the rest of the worlds 5).
The US and Somalia are the only countries that have not ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Food for thought...

[edit on 20-7-2004 by kegs]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Its called pest removal. Not playing God. I dont consider it murder either. Anymore than I consider it genoside when i go on a cockroach killing spree with a can of raid.

Committing a crime bad enough to get sentanced to death, youre not a human. Youre a souless sociopathic beast in need of removal from the genepool. Period.

Nice to see Iran and the republic of Congo have half a brain about them, despite thier other flaws.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
A new thread on capital punishment already, and now the pro crowd's talking about killing kids? The blood thirst around here is endless, isn't it? Dark ages - look out, here we come

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Durden]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Come on its not like we're killing every 12 year old urban punk that steals ciggarets and beer. We're talking nutcases who rape 6 year olds and hide them under the bed. I see no problem in ridding the world of evils. If you kill someone you deserve the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join