It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senbazuru (1000 paper cranes) for Japan! Please help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The purpose of this thread:

I was sitting here, thinking about the awful situation in Japan and wishing I could do something besides just donating to relief organizations, when an idea came to me...
It would be really nice if the members of ATS all got together and folded 1000 cranes for the people of Japan, to wish them happiness and a speedy recovery from this disaster, and also as an international gesture of support in this tough time they're going through.

In short, the purpose of this thread is to make an international, virtual, ATS senbazuru chain!

What is senbazuru?

There's a Japanese legend that basically says if you fold 1000 paper cranes, your wish will come true.

Thousand Origami Cranes (千羽鶴, Senbazuru) is a group of one thousand origami paper cranes held together by strings. An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury. The crane in Japan is one of the mystical or holy creatures (others include the dragon and the tortoise), and is said to live for a thousand years. In Japan, it is commonly said that folding 1000 paper origami cranes makes a person's wish come true. This makes them popular gifts for special friends and family.

Thousand origami cranes

How to help:

Just fold as many cranes as you can, and post pictures of them here! Don't worry if they aren't perfect, it's the thought that counts.

Origami is very simple, fun, and best of all, cheap! All you need is some square paper and instructions on how to fold it.

Here's a good video that shows you how to fold a crane:

And a website with step-by-step photos, if you'd prefer that to a video:
How to fold a paper crane

So, what do you say, ATS? Are you up to the challenge?

Here are the first 10 to get us started!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b9ef2f9a28e.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/31336a3fa4c5.jpg[/atsimg]

よろしくおねがいします!

-Astrithr

Mod Edit: Fixed title for member.

edit on 3/13/2011 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I think this is a great thought. I have just made one. We all should do the same!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr

There's a Japanese legend that basically says if you fold 1000 paper cranes, your wish will come true.

Hi Astrithr
Nice Idea but it might insult them to get paper birds after what has happened. And is still happening.

All the wishing in the world will not change a thing.

But on the other hand, if it makes people feel they are not helpless and think it will cheer the survivors up then it might be good.

How would we have felt had they done this after 9/11. Not sure.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

Thank you!

reply to post by miconATSrender

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think they would be insulted at all. The point is just to let them know we're thinking about them, and wishing them the best.

Also, they did send us some on 9/11:

As I viewed the many exhibits commemorating the tragic event, I noticed what seemed like colorful ribbons, streams of rainbows hanging in a display across the chapel. I moved across the room and as I got closer, noticed the rainbow ribbons were not ribbons at all but in fact hundreds of paper cranes in beautiful colors hung together to form a long chain. There were dozens and dozens of these paper crane chains in various colors and patters striking in their ancient beauty.

Then I read the caption explaining the significance of these beautiful paper crane chains.

Hundreds of school children, adults, and families in Japan had created these lovely chains offering peace and love to the families of those who died in that horrible attack of 9-11, and to our country.

Peace crane forgiveness and hope

top topics

join