It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Science Guy Is Worried

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

# 0349: CNN presenter Piers Morgan tweets: "Nuclear expert Bill Nye just said situation at Japan plants sounds 'way more serious' than authorities saying. Deeply worrying.

www.bbc.co.uk...

When Bill Nye The Science guy is worried, so am I!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Personally I don't respect Bill Nye enough to worry if he is worried. Get me a more credible scientist and then I might worry.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Do you respect this guy?

The news coming from Japan remains bleak. Government spokesman Yukio Edano: "We do believe that there is a possibility that meltdown has occurred - it is inside the reactor, we can't see. However, we are acting, assuming that a meltdown has occurred and with reactor number 3 we are also assuming the possibility of a meltdown as we carry out measures."

Linky

Although CNN is reporting the same quote, but cleverly edited to give you a different message (took out "we are acting", which is not the same as outright thinking that there has been a meltdown - they are acting as though there has been, not thinking there has been):

"We do believe that there is a possibility that meltdown has occurred. It is inside the reactor. We can't see. However, we are assuming that a meltdown has occurred," he said of the No. 1 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility. "And with reactor No. 3, we are also assuming that the possibility of a meltdown as we carry out measures."

Linky 2
edit on 12-3-2011 by pforkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Bill Nye knows his sh!t.

Don't expect Michio Kaku to come out and say anything, that dude is already payed off...and I used to love him ;_;

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CordDragonzord
Don't expect Michio Kaku to come out and say anything, that dude is already payed off...and I used to love him ;_;

What?

Here's what he has to say about it:

"This could be a Chernobyl in the making. We are now going into uncharted territory, we are thinking the unthinkable."

Btw I just found out he teaches physics in a college nearby... cool.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Well "Who cares what other people think?" Just buy a few Gieger Counters/dosimeters, and you and your team
interpret the data for yourselves. Make sure you have a large jar of Potassium Iodide tablets in your Med Kit,
and scrubs down gear in order. Especially if you intend to enter the hot zone and help Evac the victims.

Be Good

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I am pasting this information in every thread I feel it is relevant. As I am currently unable to create a thread of my own please excuse the repetition. I feel this information is possibly of great importance and so wish to promulgate it rapidly:

Q. Would ingestion of iodized, common table salt be effective in a nuclear accident if KI pills are not available?

A. The daily dose of potassium iodide (KI) for thyroid blocking is 130 mg per day for up to two weeks. This equates to 96 mg of iodine (I). Iodized salt contains about 0.085 mg of KI per gram of salt (according to the Morton Salt Company). To get the I equivalent of a 130 mg KI pill would require the ingestion of 1,529 grams of salt which would most likely be fatal. According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center,

a person can get a blocking dose of iodine by painting 8 ml of either tincture of iodine or providone iodine (betadine) scrub on the forearm daily

. William Kirk, PhD, CHP Pennsylvania Bureau of Radiation Protection

LINK

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR FRIENDS ON THE WEST COAST AND CONTACTS IN JAPAN
edit on 12-3-2011 by Hardfelt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

Well if Michio Kaku is worried then so am I..

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

He is....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by backinblack

He is....

I know that mate..
It's why I replied to Poorfool's post..
Because I read his link..

Doesn't sound to good..

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I heard that interview it takes a lot to truly make me troubled, and I am in this case for all the people of Japan. I haven't been religious in well over ten years but I gave a prayer up to the big man for all of them. This is an extremely dangerous situation and anyone who down plays it needs to be cautioned, there is always calm before the storm. This isn't a time for complete panic right now. But a serious situation in Japan has and is occurring and needs to be monitored in a responsible manner.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I don't like Bill Nye. I think he's an idiot.
I hope he is true to form and doesn't know what the heck he is talking about.
He argued against the possibility of ET's having anything to do with UFO's on a news program awhile back. Anyone that narrow minded shouldn't be a scientist. My humble opinion of course.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Hmm, that's odd. I read that he was a skeptic on the whole 3 mile island nuclear doomsday thing.

Oh well, there has been a lot of double speak happening but thanks for the link, even if he is payed off in most cases this brings back some credibility to his name.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CordDragonzord
Bill Nye knows his sh!t.

I agree, I have caught him a couple of times putting out misinfo

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Piers Morgan on CNN...WOW, that alone probably caused the earths distress!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I follow Dr. Kaku on Facebook and when I saw yesterday he had made a very alarmist post stating the situation in Japan is setting up to be the next Chernobyl I scoffed and thought to myself how very irresponsible of someone of his calibur fearmongering. As the day wore on, bits of conflicting information about the nuclear crisis filtered out, hearing the uncertain US ambassador to Japan speak to Wolf Blizter who himself couldn't get a straight answer and then finally hearing an interview with Bill Nye who spoke with more confidence & clarity then anyone else I've heard thus far my thinking changed.

What it comes down to is who do you trust? Two esteemed scientific minds or statements from a country who is notorious for minimizing & disinformation. I'll go with the former.

Dr. Kaku's Universe

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I don't think of it so much as fear mongering, but perhaps making people aware of the possibilities who have either not heard nor experienced first hand the tribulations during or following Chernobyl. Personally I didnt need any science guy to make me go Uh, OH, but then again I'm not about to run around like a headless chicken panic buying loo roll either.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSparrowSings
Personally I don't respect Bill Nye enough to worry if he is worried. Get me a more credible scientist and then I might worry.

agreed i remember that Bill Nye had his own TV Show for kids, and somehow i didn't find him that credible as a scientist

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67

I follow Dr. Kaku on Facebook and when I saw yesterday he had made a very alarmist post stating the situation in Japan is setting up to be the next Chernobyl I scoffed and thought to myself how very irresponsible of someone of his calibur(sic) fearmongering(sic).
Dr. Kaku's Universe

Fear mongering? Really?
So when the USGS put out a tsunami warning to Hawaii, Alaska and California, were they "fear Mongering?"
When NOAA put out a hurricane warning to New Orleans, they were fear mongering as well?
The warnings that "Wormwood would melt down" were headed, and these warnings must be taken for granted as well.
This leaked radiation could easily poison the Pacific Ocean for thousands of years!
Now there's some 'Fear Mongering" for you.
As far as Bill Nye goes, he earned his Mechanical Engineering degree from Cornell University and was a student of Carl Sagen. He was awarded a Doctorate from Johns Hopkins University. He worked for Boeing where he designed and developed a hydraulic sensor that is still used in 747's, including Air Force 1.
Although his appearance is a little outre', doesn't that go along with being a nerd?
edit on 13-3-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67

I follow Dr. Kaku on Facebook and when I saw yesterday he had made a very alarmist post stating the situation in Japan is setting up to be the next Chernobyl I scoffed and thought to myself how very irresponsible of someone of his calibur fearmongering. As the day wore on, bits of conflicting information about the nuclear crisis filtered out, hearing the uncertain US ambassador to Japan speak to Wolf Blizter who himself couldn't get a straight answer and then finally hearing an interview with Bill Nye who spoke with more confidence & clarity then anyone else I've heard thus far my thinking changed.

What it comes down to is who do you trust? Two esteemed scientific minds or statements from a country who is notorious for minimizing & disinformation. I'll go with the former.

Dr. Kaku's Universe

Thank you for this link. I will be watching this as he says he will keep it updated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join