It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Nuclear Meltdown Confirmed

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

This person is suspected of dying because of radiation exposure... it is serious.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Fox news reporting over 10,000 dead. If this reactorvleaknis as bad as we allbthink, shouldn't Obama brief the country and tell us how to prepare?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 13-3-2011 by thorazineshuffle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by thorazineshuffle

im sorry but ahhahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahah

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Japan's Tokyo Electric Power Co (tepco) is preparing to put sea water into the No 2 reactor at Fukushima Daiichi, or Fukushima 1, power station, Reuters reports. It has already been pouring water into reactors No 1 and 3 to try to cool them

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
BBC:

"fear of second explosion"

No pictures yet. Breaking.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Maybe the question has moved from if one has melted down to how many of the reactors are going to melt down. How many reactors are they attempting to cool with seawater may provide a fairly accurate answer

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Hi people.

I read a few posts that we need to take potassium iodide to protect the thyroid gland, but while making research on the safety of its use, I found an interesting article about the absorption of baking soda to protect your kidneys from radiation poisoning and you can use it to wash your body from radioactive particles.

Alas, I'm lousy with browsers and their ability to retain the pages I visited... You can easily make research on it, but I definitely wanted to tell you.

It will, combined with potassium iodide, protect two organs and allow for safe cleaning.

If I find anything else, I will let you know.

If this was already said, well, eh!

On another note, you can put plastic films on your windows to protect a bit, no?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

This is a serious emergency, but there are some good reasons to be hopeful. According to World Nuclear News and Reuters, there were seven reactors in Fukushima that were affected by the earthquake. Of those, four have access to outside power to run their water pumps and are stable. Three lost their power. Out of those three, one has steady levels of water. Only two have decreasing water levels. But, in recent hours, workers have started pumping in seawater to one of those. Hopefully, both can be stabilized. But it's hard to say right now. And then what happens? Remember, this is really just an emergency shutdown gone awry. The control rods are still in place. The Jenga columns are still separated. So, over time, the fission reactions will still slow down and stop. As they do, heat levels will drop, and so will levels of radiation. Really, what we have here is a waiting game. The goal is to keep the reactors stabilized long enough that the shutdown can completely shut down.

Nuclear Energy 101

trying to understand what is going on...this article wasnt a bad place to start...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Disregard the following message. After checking my email, I found that vitaminshoppe is sold out of potassium iodide. Looks like people are in a rush to purchase these.

As I said, disregard the following:

I haven't read through the entire thread (it keeps growing, lol) but just wanted to say that I just ordered potassium iodide from vitaminshoppe.com. Just be aware that these are 32.5 milligram pills. It would take more than one to make a dose.

edit on 3/13/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by solomons path
You can only order Potassium Iodide online . . . There are no retail outlets that carry it.

A simple Google search will show you where you can order. Other than specialty stores (nukepills.com), CVS is the only major retailer that I know that sells it online . . .

Thank you brother, I just ordered my pills from CVS. I looked in others places, all sold out. Never crossed my mind CVS can have it....THANK YOU.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have a question. People with thyroid problems aren't supposed to take iodine. So what is the treatment for them? I have a young daughter with thyroid issues and I'm willing to bet there are many others out there as well.

Yes, I will google and if I find good info, I'll post it for others, but many of you seem well versed in this already. I will see what I can find, but a nudge in the right direction would be great and much appreciated!

edit on 3/13/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elieser
I have been checking around and the only thing I could find that prevents radiation "poisoning" is Potassium Iodide. I bought a few pill packs as soon as I heard what was going on, you can find some online and if you pay a bit more they will deliver it in a day or two.

From what I've been led to believe, Iodine is only good for lowering the odds of thyroid cancers. Nothing else.

IRM

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by wongy
has anyone seen this video yet?

www.youtube.com...
edit on 12-3-2011 by wongy because: (no reason given)

Whoah, HAARP would be REAL stupid to play with peoples lives like this if they actually caused this earthquake because:
1) I can bet there will be massive protests against nuclear power in the aftermath of this whole Japan crisis
2) they damaged their OWN nuclear power plants which sounds like theyre shooting themselves in the foot!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
"AN EXPERT" on MSNBC just now said we are approaching a 6 out of a 7.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Would not the two nuclear bombs, exploded in the air at the end of WWII, or the lengthy nuclear test explosions in the Nevada desert (when did they stop those?) have created just as much, of not more, risk for the West Coast of the US than these three potential meltdowns?
Surely having been airbourne, they would have spread further, whereas these will be melting down and not rising up into the atmosphere?
Any radiation coming over from Japan wouldn't create instant death for the US, surely? Just increases in such things as cancers in the future?

I'm no expert so I could well be totally wrong here.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

IIRC, when a nuclear bomb is detonated, most of the radioactive material is turned to energy for the blast. In case of a nuclear reactor meltdown, the blast would be like that of a "dirty bomb". That is, the radioactive material would be thrown in the atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nowanmai

Ah, ok.
Thank You.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by Elieser
I have been checking around and the only thing I could find that prevents radiation "poisoning" is Potassium Iodide. I bought a few pill packs as soon as I heard what was going on, you can find some online and if you pay a bit more they will deliver it in a day or two.

From what I've been led to believe, Iodine is only good for lowering the odds of thyroid cancers. Nothing else.

IRM

Ginseng is another one en.wikipedia.org...
Although the best protection is always a lead lined suit :/

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Beeing from east europe I remember Ceronbyl, long lines formed for medicine, panic, as a child you were not alowed to go outside only in the morning and that was just one reactor, we are talking about multiple reactors here now, aslo the spread factor is bigger, the ocean currents will carry the radiation faster and further away, japan having the status of an island on the ocean, this also being a big problem, If multiple reacors melt down this can be bigger than Cernobyl.

edit on 13-3-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join