It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Nuclear Meltdown Confirmed

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sechmet

These are plutonium/uranium reactors people, seriously dangerous in a "containment" situation, and based on the most recent information releases there are at LEAST meltdown and at worst uncontrolled fusion processes, in at least two if not three of the reactors.

hey uncontrolled FUSION REACTIONS are not a problem right ?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Here ( if it embeds ) is a recent video about the Chernobyl site being considered for use as a tourist destination. Includes a short interview with one of the cleanup crew, and a couple who have been living inside the exclusion zone for the last four years.

YT watch?v=WZSK7gvmRgo ( ATS link function doesn't like me )

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok
reply to post by sechmet

These are plutonium/uranium reactors people, seriously dangerous in a "containment" situation, and based on the most recent information releases there are at LEAST meltdown and at worst uncontrolled fusion processes, in at least two if not three of the reactors.

hey uncontrolled FUSION REACTIONS are not a problem right ?

Main problem would be the explosion of reactors, similar to what happened in Chernobyl.

Radioactive materials which are then pushed up into the atmosphere are HUGE, much bigger then during the nuclear bomb explosion. Everything can happen, Japan goverment will inform everybody interested in the moment they will know that rescue failed.

It will be too late, in fact - probably after the explosion, or very soon to it.

Right now we know that situation was very bad from the start, and they could do much more to protect people who live near the plant. Imminent evacuation was the first step to do after quake.

The failed. So, please people - be aware the situation. If the worst case scenario will occur, you will have in the air something like hundreds of kilos radioactive materials and the radioactive air will come with winds.

It is much much more that is coming during the nuclear explosion - even 20-50 times more as the radioactive material is not going to be an energy, it simply comes to the air.

So, to take iodynum right now is not a bad idea. I do not know why you are not informed right now about it..

Should be not a danger for health, and gives some kind of protection if worst case will happen now.
Of course - come to the doctor / pharmacy, ask for the dose etc - but it should be safe as far as present knowledge says.

edit2add

ces-137 halftime is 30 years. in Chernobyl you can walk without problem but then you come to the place where Geiger is showing 1.000 to much to live in 1 square meter. The average radioactivity is not so big, but you are not interested in average level.

You can very easy sink in a water average 1 meter deep

edit on 13-3-2011 by sechmet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
ATTENTION!!!

Japanese official warns of potential second blast at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant after suspected meltdown at site.

breaking news on CNN

Japanese official warns of potential second blast at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant after suspected meltdown at site.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Folowing it live on yokosonews since yesterday, where Katz is translating all japanese news in english around the clock, check it out guys, he's doing a great job!
yokosonews.com...

at 8 pm japaneze time, the president of Japan will be giving a press conference, that is in less then 1 and a half hour. Katz will be translating online through the above link.
He's saying that he's expecting "bad news" about the reactors, and a more specific number on casualties of the quake.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
if my clock on the desktop is right, this would be in 6 minutes?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
Why would they ask Russia ?
Russia doesn't exactly have a great record on nuclear incidents..
They have experience dealing with containment of an accident. This might be why?

news.yahoo.com...

If the reactor core became exposed to the external environment, officials would likely began pouring cement and sand over the entire facility, as was done at the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident in the Ukraine, Peter Bradford, a former commissioner of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, said in a briefing for reporters.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

about 30 min from now

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Sorry if this has been asked, but is there an aguifer under any of the problem plants?
watch/listen starting around 37:55

Google Video Link

"The True Battle of Chernobyl Uncensored"

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
Sorry if this has been asked, but is there an aguifer under any of the problem plants?

That is the one question that has been bothering me ever since the quake happened. IF there is a complete meltdown and the core burns its way down through containment, then an aquifer is a major concern. Think radioactive steam being ejected high into the atmosphere.

I find it difficult to believe that there is not.

On the other hand, a partial melting of fuel bundles still within containment is not the worst case scenario. As long as the reactor core is kept cooled by sea water, the effects will remain localized.

Containment, in my experience, is very thick concrete walls which remove the reactors and their fuelling system from the outside world. As long as it remains intact, it can be somewhat handled.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
In short,from the press conference, given by the prime minister, not the president as announced earlier:

-they are still pouring seawater in the reactor but the waterlevel inside is not rising, probably a mailfunction on the vent system, which they will try to repair first.
-pressure level inside the reactor is still rising
-at this moment there isn't direct threat, but if the situation doesnt get better there will be threat.
edit:
-reactor 1 : cooldown process working well
-reactor 2 : emergency backup down, seawater cooling not working yet

-after the conference a meeting will start, discussing an intentional nation wide power blackout to conserver power.
edit: their talking about a "rolling blackout" meaning region by region
edit: sceduled blackout starting 6.20 am japanese time, still desiding on specific areas, people are asked to prepare themselfs for power blackout

- atm no possibilitie to get food transport and support to coast areas

-

Thanks to Katz for translation on Yokosonews (link in post above).
edit on 13/3/2011 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

chalres 1952 wrote:-
"I'm really not trying to be a wiseguy here, but how do you go about preparing for this? Ths US will be covered by whatever it is (if it's anything at all) within, what, three days? I cant think of anything to do except keep going."

Good question Charles and one that one should ask oneself.
I believe that Iodine in the form of of pattasium Iodate is recommended to help Thyroid protction BUT do your own research - I do not want anyone to just accept what others say.
I can only speak for myself when I say - This is yet another wake up call - rather than just think Oh well there is nothing I can do or what are they (The Authorities) going to do about it - Take action get protection for you and yours.
This could well be as nothing compared to what future scenarios may bring - I believe.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Some Googling regarding the containment at Fukushima:

The volume of air in the containment building and its wall thickness are designed to contain a specified level of energy being dumped into containment. If the pressure gets too high, then an energy release like a broken pipe, should it occur, could over-pressurize the containment and cause it to fail. So emergency procedures call for venting air from the containment to reduce the pressure if it gets too high.

If the containment structure was weakened by the earthquake, then what pressure it could withstand is not known.

The reactors have a containment ventilation system that can be used to vent air from the containment building. In this situation, the vented air would be routed through a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter, charcoal beds, and another HEPA filter to remove as much radioactivity as possible before being released from a very tall stack to dilute the flow as much as possible.

allthingsnuclear.org...

The explosion caused a breach in the secondary containment. However, the primary containment that houses and protects the reactor vessel and fuel remains intact and is safe. This structure is made of steel and is extremely robust. The primary and secondary containment are designed to prevent radiation from being released into the environment in the case of an accident. However, TEPCO intentionally vented steam from the secondary containment building in an effort to reduce pressure in that building. For a diagram of the reactor type used at Fukushima Daiichi, click here.

www.nei.org...< br />

design

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by xShadow13

Who knows what the authorities will do - I remember getting a hit of the radio active cloud that passed over from Chernobyl - All the village in North Wales got sick and who knows what long term affect that may have had on the people there.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

Yes I saw that thread when posting but it did not carry the news that indeed the core was exposed and in the process of meltdown now fleetingly confirmed by main strem media - Oh and a second reactor is in danger of melt down too

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Thank you for the info though I would disagree aspects of it - This is not a time for playing down these things - It is a time for being prepared for the worst case scenario which this situation has the potential to be - And if not this time it is looming upon the horizon and we all need to pay attention - by the way even on main stream media today they are talking of a second reactor melting down or in the process of.
How dumb is Nuclear power

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gixxer
guys your not thinking straight by listening to infowars, our press and government would not play this down imo if there is a meltdown we will know about it because it will be blamed 100% on japan, it's not like if their was a problem here that the government would want to hide.

the japanese government might try and cover it up but ours won't hide this one because they are not guilty.

Make your choice - Believe what the establishment is telling you and place your trust in them or Think and research it for yourself

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Throwing this out. Does ANYbody here know someone in the US military based in Japan? The reason I ask is that if there has been radiation, it stands to reason that the military would be able to detect a serious radiation release and raise the MOPP level to IV and issue the NBC gear to the troops. There are pictures of US choppers flying around in the disater zone doing SAR and relief drops and thats near the reactor in question and they are NOT in the MOPP gear.

If the MOPP gear has been broken out that may be a sign.
edit on 3/12/11 by FredT because: (no reason given)

Ha ha why are they not given correct protection - Guess those in power in governments and those who control them just dont care about ordinary people or the military - too many examples of this

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
reply to post by FredT

Fred thank you as always for bringing some light to this wacky thread.

What is wacky about informing people of real world events such as this?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Just woke up had 6 hours sleep...

I have cnn reports to my phone and what i'm getting is

IT DOES NOT LOOK GOOD for more then a few reactors...

What really is going on with these??

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join