It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Nuclear Meltdown Confirmed

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
really a meltdown in japan could kill tye entire united stats lmao.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by xxPUSH0Noo

No link. It's an email newsletter like RSS feeds and circulates in SEA regions too. But I checked the weatherunderground animated satellite streams and I saw that the air current is blowing towards the pacific and not inland or towards Japan's neighbors. SO yes it the air current would hit aircraft carriers in the pacific ocean and bring the radioactive dust and steam with it.

Thus SS Ronald Reagan's crew felt the brunt of this??? Can't confirm just yet.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Satisfy
reply to post by artistpoet

Noone cares about Japan anyways. we already tried to Ice them all in WW2. what is everyone worried about. Worst case scenario, half of california starts having spider children with multiple heads and apendages.

What a sensational first post..
I'm sure you'll be around for many more..

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Just remember coal is bad, what you want more than anything is clean nuclear energy!

Safe and affordable, and when we say safe we mean safe.

Now I know you all feel not just safer, but safe, so move along please nothing to see here.

Well that was creepy ..

a statement like that with those fascist symbols in your Avatar

edit on 14-3-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Only Posted moments ago by the Guardin - www.guardian.co.uk...

A second reactor building at Fukushima Daiichi plant explodes and another core loses cooling, prompting fears of a third explosion following Friday's earthquake and tsunami that devastated Japan

edit on 14/3/2011 by wycky because: oops

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

Since no one replies to this one. I'll say it.

Order/buy radiation meter.
Get underground or in walls at least 1m thick for at least 1 month.
Buy water and food and store it deep underground.

Just in case your meter goes nuts.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wycky

I was just watching NHK 2 mins ago and the reporter started to report that the 2nd explosion had caused the other reactors to lose their cooling. then someone offscreen grabbed his reports from him to stop him, handed him a new report and the story had changed ,, Wierd.

just now they are reporting that the no.2 reactor may well have all its rods exposed, they say they cannot deny that this may be the case

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Fox and others are reporting that one of the reactors has its fuel rods fully exposed and the US navy is moving its ships of the coast to safer waters.
Sounds bad to me.
Sorry no link

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by murfdog
Fox and others are reporting that one of the reactors has its fuel rods fully exposed and the US navy is moving its ships of the coast to safer waters.
Sounds bad to me.
Sorry no link

Yes I heard this too. Then they seemed to backpedal a bit and said that the fuel rods were temporarily exposed...Did I hear that right??? I also looked for a link and couldnt find one.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Link

Technicians are battling to stabilise a third reactor at a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear plant, after it was rocked by a second blast in three days. The Fukushima Daiichi plant's operators said they could not rule out a fuel rod meltdown, after a cooling system broke. They are injecting seawater into reactor 2 after its fuel rods became almost fully exposed. A cooling system breakdown preceded explosions at the plant's reactor 3 on Monday and reactor 1 on Saturday. The latest hydrogen blast injured 11 people, one of them seriously, and sent a huge column of smoke billowing into the air.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Start playing fallout and prepare for our future

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Seventeen members of a U.S. Navy crew have been contaminated with radiation in Japan. Reports the New York Daily News:

Seventeen U.S. Navy crew members have been contaminated with low-levels of radiation during disaster relief missions in Japan, military officials said Monday.
The radioactivity was detected when the service members returned to the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan aboard three helicopters. They were treated with soap and water and their clothes were discarded.

Oh man why didn't they think of this sooner...soap and water will make things all better.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
If you cannot COOL the fuel rods -- then it doesn't matter how sturdy the Containment is. There are designs that drop graphite and distribute the Uranium in case of catastrophic failure of cooling -- but the PROOF of a serious problem is going to be; do they have to continuously "VENT" the containment chamber.

From what I've heard that means they've gotten to a certain temperature -- and THAT only happens when the Uranium has melted into a pool and condensed. If the pressure inside the dome gets too high -- they CANNOT cool it by trying to pump in water.

Fortunately at this stage they have measurements saying that the core is still mostly covered. They are currently doing an investigation of the water injection. If that stops their containment vessel might get tested. Given the pressure is still there at the moment, we know it is ok at this stage. Obviously pressure means the vessel is still sealed.

"The core is still mostly covered" seems a nice way of saying the containment is breached. When you have hole in your gas tank -- it's still "mostly a sealed tank." Yeah, it just has a hole in it that gas can leak out, so take VERY short trips in your car and don't drive near open flames.

PRESSURE means that it might be sealed -- but it depends a lot on HOW MUCH PRESSURE. This means that SOME of the core is exposed -- and the VENTING, means that pressure has to be released to allow cooling water in, and EXPLOSIONS mean that the water is separating into oxygen and hydrogen (which doesn't mean that the uranium has gone super critical). THAT would mean 1600 degree temperatures. THAT much heat, means that you are on your way to a melt down. The containment is NOT the important feature at this point -- it's what you've designed into the substructure of the containment vessel to deal with a total failure.

>> However, I'm not an expert -- but I have the advantage that I wasn't EDUCATED by the Department Of Energy either. It's like being a lung doctor on a Phillip Morris scholarship...

The HAPPY TALK of the nuclear power industry, fails to mention that a sub-critical melt down, is your worst nightmare. There is no containment that Uranium cannot burn through if it cannot be cooled. Burning down to bedrock usually means hitting a water table, and then you get a geyser of radioactive steam. Just distributing nuclear fuel is about the most dangerous form -- it's far more of a long term nightmare than an atom bomb.

edit on 14-3-2011 by VitriolAndAngst because: >> Having a bit of problem posting today...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst

Originally posted by ethancoop
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

the design is such that it can't melt down to the bedrock. that's why it's called a containment vessel.

"Containment Vessel" DOES NOT mean; cannot melt through. It only means it "contains" the heat and radiation. 6 feet of steel and graphite or concrete, is there to STOP the Neutrinos and contain a blast from gases -- it CANNOT stop a melt down.

It can't stop a meltdown, You are right. Only cooling will prevent that.

However, the containment vessel is designed to contain it. What happens if the steel vessel melts is the molten fuel drops out and distributes over the very thick concrete, spreading it out and cooling it. Then there's one big cleanup bill. Of course you don't just abandon the reactor and let that happen. It's the last line of defense.

Fortunately we are not at that stage yet.

Here's a link to a diagram. Note the fuel is encased in zirconium inside the core. Then you see the big steel vessel in the middle of the building. Outside that is the enormous concrete vessel I'm talking about.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BWR_Mark_I_Containment,_cutaway.jpg
edit on 13-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Added link to diagram.

edit on 13-3-2011 by XtraTL because: Broken link

>> Since you seem to be more versed in the containment on these reactors -- does the design work if there is NO POWER or water to cool it? Meaning -- does it work with simple gravity?

The "burn down" into graphite or other "gravity cooling" designs, seem to be good for dealing with catastrophic failures.

>> HOWEVER, the venting going on, and does not bode well. If there is a steady stream of steam -- or hydrogen gas release -- that means it's at critical temperatures, and THAT would mean -- the Uranium is molten and pooling. The release of radioactive gases at a certain level, isn't a need for panic -- but the releasing of GAS, means something worse.

The problem is; it's not likely that the TRUTH would come out until it is too late. They would be working to suppress a melt down -- and admitting to a "melt down" would cause more disaster and panic. How do you evacuate 100 miles around a reactor? So, whether well intentioned or not -- standard "humans" in charge would lie about a melt down as long as they could. The truth won't change whether they can control it or not -- and if they can control it, no harm, no foul. If they CAN'T control it -- a lot of people are going to die for sure. A panic, however, will guarantee a large loss of life.

>> Also, in the BP oil spill -- we saw a desire to hide everything, and say nothing but "it's not so bad." In ten years, when people are affected by the oil and dispersants, those closest to being a fault, can act surprised and speculate that something else caused all the fish to die or people to die decades earlier than they should have.

Hopefully, the CYA factor is NOT a primary concern for those handling this mess -- but you always need to look out for the CYA factor when speculating about how bad a threat from some large plant is going to be.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by BentonBailey
Seventeen members of a U.S. Navy crew have been contaminated with radiation in Japan. Reports the New York Daily News:

Seventeen U.S. Navy crew members have been contaminated with low-levels of radiation during disaster relief missions in Japan, military officials said Monday.
The radioactivity was detected when the service members returned to the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan aboard three helicopters. They were treated with soap and water and their clothes were discarded.

Oh man why didn't they think of this sooner...soap and water will make things all better.

Easy with that,its part of the decon process, because they have to wash off the radiation dust.......its cool dude on another thread I said they dont can water....I WAS WRONG

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
SkyNewsBreak

AP: Japanese officials say nuclear fuel rods appear to be melting inside all three of the most troubled nuclear reactors

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Rueters Flash: Tokyo Electric says fuel rods at Fukushima Daiichi no. 2 unit exposed again per local source

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
RT @krishgm: French nuclear safety authority say Japan now at 5-6 on seven point incident scale.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfenz

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Just remember coal is bad, what you want more than anything is clean nuclear energy!

Safe and affordable, and when we say safe we mean safe.

Now I know you all feel not just safer, but safe, so move along please nothing to see here.

Well that was creepy ..

a statement like that with those fascist symbols in your Avatar

edit on 14-3-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

Thank you thank you very much and the symbols in my Avatar are indeed the Fasces from the days of SPQR the Roman People and the Senate which represents my current status as both the Proxy King of Rome who will be officiating over yet another Robigalia thread this year on April 25th and Rome's First Citizen and Highest Moral Authority.

Representing the Power of Life and Death the Fasces say star my posts or else!

Fascism didn't come about for another 1900 years by the way.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PresumedInnocent

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
reply to post by PresumedInnocent

hey man, not being rude here or wanting any grief....but how do you know and how much would you bet that your statement is correct.

Again I am so amazed at the number on Nuclear Scientists on the ATS network

Don't have to be a Nuclear Scientists to know that the story has change hour by hour. If there is a large release of radioactive material I would not bet that it would be announced right away, but in dribbles to keep the population from heading south. Have friends in Tokyo right now, and this is a real fear.

I guess it was big enough to back up the U.S.Navy

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join