It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: Meldown of Japan Nuclear Reactor May Be Under Way

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

It is the most powerful reactor complex on Earth. It drawfs Chernobyl by thousands of times.This is extremely serious for Hawaii and our west coast.

Stared and thanks for the info, but to be honest I don't like what you said..
That's very scary....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
It is the most powerful reactor complex on Earth. It drawfs Chernobyl by thousands of times.This is extremely serious for Hawaii and our west coast.
edit on 12-3-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: (no reason given)

The Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant has a capacity of 4,696 MW
The Chernobyl Plant had Installed capacity 4,000 MW

Its not that much bigger. Also the Chernobyl plant was a RBMK-1000 Graphite Moderated Core. Graphite burns.It also lacked a containmment dome as featured in all western plants.

The Fukushima is a boiling water reactor which as we can tell above there is residual heat produced even after its SCRAMED. but has a containment dome.

Given the fact that they have introduced seawater and boric acid (to absorb neutrons) to at least one of the reactors and the the resulting explosion which was caused by hydrogen buildup indicates that a partial meltdown has occured. If the containment dome survived the earthquake AND the subequent expolsion, the excaping radiation will be a fraction of that that occured in Chernobyl. If the containment dome has failed then ALL bets are off.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Everyone should be prepared to get as far away from the west coast of US and Canada as possible. Back a Bug-Out-Bag with all your essentials. If it does go into meltdown (i hope to god it doesnt) leave AS SOON as you hear the news. Jet streams will take approx 30-40 hours to reach western US and Canada. IF possible get potassium iodide pills. Be prepared this can be very serious
My thoughts are with the people of Japan

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Another Japan reactor fails.

I just got the news alert that there is now another nuclear reactor emergency, bringing the total to 6:

www.latimes.com...

Live news conference on nuclear reactors on CNN and NHK.

edit on 12-3-2011 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Uhm did anyone else hear on NHK live stream that a meltdown has occured at reactor 1.... please be that i heard this wrong

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

Yes i confirm but only partial one in reactor #1 they are venting it right now to pump more cold water in it. They guy said they are sending mobile generator to get the normal cooling system online faster
edit on 12-3-2011 by Dolby_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dolby_X

oh god
this is not good

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Was wathing CNN just now, they were talking to Bill Nye, and they said something that he was about to contradict, and then he started talking, and they broke away to something else. I found that odd. and annoying.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tnhiker

Did you catch the point that was about to be contradicted?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Meltdown has occurred

news.blogs.cnn.com...

[9:54 p.m. ET, 11:54 a.m. Tokyo] A meltdown may have occurred at at least one nuclear power reactor in Japan, the country's chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, said Sunday.

He also said that authorities are concerned over the possibility of another meltdown at a second reactor.

"We do believe that there is a possibility that meltdown has occurred. It is inside the reactor. We can't see. However, we are assuming that a meltdown has occurred," he said of the No. 1 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility. "And with reactor No. 3, we are also assuming that the possibility of a meltdown as we carry out measures."

Edano's comments confirm an earlier report from an official with Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, who said, "we see the possibility of a meltdown."

A meltdown is a catastrophic failure of the reactor core, with a potential for widespread radiation release. However, Toshihiro Bannai, director of the agency's international affairs office, expressed confidence that efforts to control the crisis would be successful....

(cross posted in other thread)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Just got this:

CNN Breaking News
to textbreakingne.

show details 10:35 PM (8 minutes ago)

-- "We are assuming that a meltdown has occurred" at a quake-damaged nuclear reactor, Japan's chief Cabinet secretary says.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Just watched CNN and they had two separate "officials" on at different times who said they wee 100% certain that this is a non issue. One guy as from the university of Georgia and another was from some other institution I didn't catch.
That this whole idea about melt down is being WAY over blown.
Now when I watched Bill Nye on CNN he had a much different opinion.

Personally whenever I hear a guy downplaying potentially serious situations like that I almost immediately think to myself. Government SHILL.
One guy mentioned that the only reason to have people move away from the reactor was so that the people could just feel better, that in reality there was absolutely zero threat or reason beyond that to evacuate.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Japan's top spokesman says govt working under assumption that may have been partial melting in Fukushima reactor #3.

NOT GOOD. reactor 3 is full of plutonium and uranium

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I was watching the English speaking channel from Japan and the newscaster, though trying to remain stoic, looked like she was just about to lose her mind. This is so hard to comprehend.

Best coverage: www3.nhk.or.jp...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join