It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have scientists found Atlantis?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Raw Story

NORTHAMPTON, Mass (Reuters) - A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.

Have scientists really found the legendary city? According to this, they found something.

The team's findings will be unveiled on Sunday in "Finding Atlantis," a new National Geographic Channel special. While it is hard to know with certainty that the site in Spain in Atlantis, Freund said the "twist" of finding the memorial cities makes him confident Atlantis was buried in the mud flats on Spain's southern coast.

They wont release anymore details until tomorrow... so lets see what happens.

What do you guys think?

Do you think they finally found the lost city of Atlantis?

/discuss!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Scientists still have to run tests to confirm the age of this site.

Raw Story

Greek philosopher Plato wrote about Atlantis some 2,600 years ago, describing it as "an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Hercules," as the Straits of Gibraltar were known in antiquity. Using Plato's detailed account of Atlantis as a map, searches have focused on the Mediterranean and Atlantic as the best possible sites for the city.

Tsunamis in the region have been documented for centuries, Freund says. One of the largest was a reported 10-story tidal wave that slammed Lisbon in November, 1755.

Debate about whether Atlantis truly existed has lasted for thousands of years. Plato's "dialogues" from around 360 B.C. are the only known historical sources of information about the iconic city. Plato said the island he called Atlantis "in a single day and night... disappeared into the depths of the sea."

Experts plan further excavations are planned at the site where they believe Atlantis is located and at the mysterious "cities" in central Spain 150 miles away to more closely study geological formations and to date artifacts.

So based on what Plato had passed down, this could be the site everyone has been looking for.... but we will not know anything until they study the site.
edit on 3/12/2011 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

It certainly would make sense. Madrid was partially sunk by an earthquake, right on the Iberian peninsula.

Maybe Iberia and Africa used to be conjoined, and the Straight of Gibralter is the result of the catastophe.
edit on 12-3-2011 by SunTzu22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Cheap trick to use the disaster in Japan to push a Documentary and no doubt an upcoming book.

Even if they find yet another submerged city, it would not mean Atlantis was any less fiction than it was when Plato wrote his work of Fiction. It is a good tool for marketing though to get funding. I highly doubt this is thought to be the real Atlantis, but to say that would generate no money, so they use the myth of Atlantis to make it marketable.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
As much as I wish this to be true, every once in awhile there's a group claiming to have found Atlantis. There's no way to be sure if it's the actual city or not. Unless they display some awesome technology from before the stone age, that was somehow preserved through the disaster, I won't get excited about it. I've been, however, looking forward to the documentary tomorrow. This stuff always fascinates me.

On a side note, it also drives me crazy that if they did actually find something of great importance to human history, something that will shed light onto our past or help guide us into the future, it'll probably be covered up and not shown to the public.

Stop guiding us away from our true path msm!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I totally agree with ur funding idea, tho that ploy is ok with me as long as it pays for research.

Plato did describe Atlantis as "beyond the Pillars of Hercules", and that does fit the area.

Plus, the Straight of Gibraltar is a geological oddity, and there should be more sea-bed archaelogy to unravel any secrets it contains.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
yes they have been finding atlantis every couple years in whatever place it is.

and what a great timming to push the word tsunami further in.

wait what tsunami, thats yesterdays news.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

The documentary was announced before the quake. I remember seeing the commercials two weeks ago.

I'm sure they went back and edited the program to emphasize tsunamis and their power though haha

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by KainRich

Yes, I noticed that too that they used the word tsunami. As bad as it is to use the word to attract more people to the show & finding, but if Atlantis did exist, that's probably what happened anyway when the island was flooded, or when it sunk.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SunTzu22

Beyond the Pillars is a huge area
I'm not turned off by this marketing tactic either. Makes the subject more interesting whether you buy into it or not. If we give even a tiny bit of credence to the thought Plato's work was in part based on a real civilization, this can be said of any submerged former cities and settlements.

I have issue with the idea of an ancient advanced society that left no findable evidence of their technology and that is were I part ways with the myth that now surrounds Atlantis. Those idea's are most certainly fictional idea's. Advanced materials would survive even more often than Fossils which are far more fragile. For every Fossil we find, we would find many advanced artifacts which would be far, far newer. My problem is where are these artifacts? Where are the advanced machines and devices? Where are the examples of advanced materials and synthetics?

Even if they find an actual "Atlantis" it would not be some society more advanced than we are today. That has taken the topic to the point of silly.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I looked at the area on Google and it doesn't fit Plato's description. Spain would have to be Atlantis, it just doesn't make sense. A lost colony of Atlantis perhaps.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

The society may have been more advanced relative to the cultures surrounding it. They may not have even been the most advanced culture even at their peak, just higher than the ancient Athenians, which were supposedly at war with Atlantis at the time of its destruction.

Who DIDN'T get hit with a huge natural disaster that destoyed their country/city? Athens.

Wouldn't you want to make your opponent much larger than life, especially when you believe the gods have blessed your country?

I think Atlantis is real, but I don't know if it was called by that name when it was in existance. I believe it was just referencing the area that the country controlled in general.

Any halfed assed civilization could colonize damn near all of the Atlantic coast if they had a mind to.
From the Brittish Isles, to North Africa. That is all they would have to counquer/occupy in order to control access, ALL access, to the Atlantic coast via Europe/Asia/Africa.

That control would make even a barbaric boat culture, into very major players on three continents. When they had their main city destoyed, it was impossible for them to recover. Kind of like Roma.
I think that they would have had their religion, knowledge depository, and leadership in "Atlantis" at the time of the destruction.

Also, that kind of civilization would have been based on the coasts of their territories, and a big tsunami would wipe out anything they had for miles inland.

It also seems pretty likely that they had made the jump across the pond and gave the Amerindians their culture as well. They all talk of a "white skinned god" giving them math, astonomy, ect..

We know that the Polynesians had been sailing thousands of miles on blue water, since 800 BC. Why couldn't another civilization have done this, and fairly easily?
The Vikings made the trip from Iceland to Nova Scotia in three weeks.. Thats a proof of possibility right there, the Norse had done it with only primitive navigation skills and hard work.

thats what i think anyway

edit on 12-3-2011 by SunTzu22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Hey folks!

There is already a thread based upon this topic / article, please add further comments to it
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you!

Thread closed.

Hefficide
Forum moderator

new topics

top topics

join