It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Nuclear Incident Already Third Worst In History

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Thank you for the input Ugie. A "nuclear" incident imply's an overheating. I never said it was a "total meltdown," but it is a partial one, so far....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Please dont buy into the fear mongering. ITs not a metldown. IAEA has confirmed radiation levels aroudn the plant are decreasing. Which indicates the situation is starting to be under control, and not a meltdown
edit on 12-3-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

I am not over reacting good sir, I am just observing it and calling it how I see it. I am still optimistic that this incident can be contained and It looks like it is going to be contained. I am calling it a partial meltdown because of the circumstances surrounding the disaster.

Who cares if the OP changed the title. It does not change how i am currently looking at the situation. anytime there is a reactor that overheats, and its cooling systems go down, followed by partial radiation leakage and explosion; in my book that's a partial meltdown, not a full blown one.

link   
3rd worst in history?

And how many people have died?

More to the point, how many fish or birds have died, compared with, say, Exxon Valdez? Or the BP Gulf Leak?

Okay, the situation isn't over yet but puts it into perspective?

link   
There is no fear mongering. Did you watch the CNN video?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
When all is said and done, I'm afraid the death toll may be greater than 911.

reply to post by Essan

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
There is no fear mongering. Did you watch the CNN video?

Yes i watched it. the situation is starting to be under control. IAEA has confirmed radiation levels are decreasing
edit on 12-3-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

When all is said and done, I'm afraid the death toll may be greater than 911.

reply to post by Essan

The official death toll is too low.
Whole towns have been swept away by the tsunami. Expect casualties to reach 20k+

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
5 nuclear reactors have had coolant problems.

There are 5 nuclear emergencys.

1 partial meltdowns which is already the 3rd worst nuclear incident in history.

Fuel rods have been exposed.

If it goes to a full meltdown it will be the worst in history...

You're not worried?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Nope.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I'm worried for the people in the immediate area. Not outside that area

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I was more worried in 1945

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

5 nuclear reactors have had coolant problems.

There are 5 nuclear emergencys.

1 partial meltdowns which is already the 3rd worst nuclear incident in history.

Fuel rods have been exposed.

If it goes to a full meltdown it will be the worst in history...

You're not worried?

And add to that the other devastating disasters earthquake, tsunami to the mix and your very well correct in my book. Hell due to the current situation at hand it will probably become the worst incident in history overall. I think people keep looking at the nuke plants as being a separate situation which is far from what it is.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This may move from Third to Second or even FIRST:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Fox news just reported that they received info from Japans Nuclear Safety Agency that "there is an emergency at the second reactor"
No details yet....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
CNN

The International Atomic Energy Agency, citing Japanese authorities, said the explosion occurred outside the plant's primary containment vessel and that the vessel remained intact. The explosion injured four workers, it said.

To limit damage to the reactor core, Tokyo Electric Power Company began injecting sea water mixed with boron into the primary containment vessel in an operation that got under way Saturday night, IAEA said.

The use of sea water and boron was described as a "Hail Mary pass" by Robert Alvarez, senior scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies focused on energy policies and a former senior policy adviser to the U.S. secretary of energy.

"My understanding is that the situation has become desperate enough that they apparently don't have the capability to deliver fresh water or plain water to cool the reactor and stabilize it and now, in an act of desperation, are having to resort to diverting and using sea water," he said.

Boron, a chemical element, was being added to the water "to sort of stymie other potential nuclear reactions," he said.

Ummm i dont like how they describe this as a 'Hail mary pass'

This may get worse before it gets any better.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Thanks for the update.

Hopefully I NEVER have to change the thread title.

The meltdown of Simi Valley was worse than 3 Mile Island:

The 1959 nuclear reactor meltdown at the Santa Susana Santa Susana can refer to several places:

* The Santa Susana Mountains in southern California
* Santa Susana Pass, running through the abovementioned mountains
* Santa Susana Field Laboratory, near Los Angeles, a test facility for rockets and (formerly) nuclear reactors

Field Lab released as much as 300 times more radiation than the infamous Three Mile Island accident For details on this station, see .

The Three Mile Island accident was the most significant in the history of the American commercial nuclear power generating industry. It resulted, however, in no deaths or injuries to plant workers or members of the nearby community. , possibly causing some 260 cancer cases in an area near the hilltop lab, according to according to
prep.
1. As stated or indicated by; on the authority of: according to historians.

2. In keeping with: according to instructions.

..... Click the link for more information. studies presented Thursday.

www.thefreelibrary.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Despite what some have said, a random sampling of people evacuated from the "fallout zone" have shown critically elevated levels of radiation exposure. Clearly there has been a release.

Unlike chernobyl, the compromised reactor in Japan does not use graphite as a moderator, so the fire scenario is not possible.

But also unlike chernobyl, the reactor complex in Japan is thousands of times more powerful; it's the most powerful reactor complex in the world, and we have confirmation that radiation is leaking from there.

Given the prevailing winds, an airborne release could threaten the entire US west coast.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Everybody buy as much water food and iodine tablets as they can!!

Now!

Seriously. This is fear mongering.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Earth quake, Tsunami, and now Radiation. A triple disaster. Damn.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join