It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Does An Earthquake Sound Like? Take a Listen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hello ATS!

Here`s an article i found in regards to the recent events - listen to the sound of the recent earthquake...the symphony of the Mother Nature, in a (tragic) way...

NYC’s own Micah Frank started his Tectonic Sonification Project in 2009. It’s a sound synthesis program he created that takes real time earthquake data from the USGS [U.S. Geological Survey] and interprets it into sound.

Yesterday’s event in Japan and the recent quakes in Christchurch, New Zealand, Chile and Haiti are just gentle reminders. So what does an earthquake sound like?

Here is Micah’s sonification of yesterday’s earthquakes off the east coast of Honshu, Japan.

Earthquakes off the east coast of Honshu, Japan - Friday March 11, 2011 by Micah Frank

Link to article

If you wonder why post this...well this was new to me to listen, so i thought it might be intrest to the members of ATS

Caution!

Please make sure that you don´t have speakers put in full volume, like i did

Thank`s

HM
edit on 12-3-2011 by Hithe Merinos because: is aricle a word, or did i just spelled it wrong?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hithe Merinos

Thats highly interesting!

I was just wondering yesterday what these events sounded like!
I have to say,not what i expected at all!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Hmmm. Interesting. I have been in an earthquake before and it sounded like train cars slamming into each other.

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

sounds like frequencies and high energy sounds could this be a haarp like weapon stirring up an already unstable area??

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

No that is not what an earthquake sounds like.

This is what and earthquake sounds like
Japan_Mag8.9.mp3

And you can find dozens more here

What he has there is unfiltered and full of all sorts of cr*** - rubbish - that should not be in there.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanx for the u2u!
That sounds more like what i was expecting to hear!
Pure power!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The first time I experienced an earthquake I thought a bomb had gone off. It was a sort of rumbling, grumbling sound. Very unnerving.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Totally fake ... been though lots of them, including a 7.1, it sounds totally different, more like a train crashing into your house off the rails, we have a recording of it ... THAT IS JUST WRONG!

It also doesn't take into account the sheer noise of everything smashing!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thank you for your reply and the links

As i`m no expert, do you have an idea what sound it might be then?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

That actually is a very good question. There are two schools of thought on this.

The first is that some of that is telemetry interference, which is what I happen to believe - the problem is that we have absolutely no idea which instrument he is pulling the waveform from and frankly his description leaves me a little dubious. That sound appears in various seismic waveforms - for example it often occurs at Yellowstone (don't freak out that just happens to be the one I listen to most often
) - but it also occurs on many other waveform files. In my humble opinion most or all of that is signal interference of some kind or other and anyway that should have been filtered. Next we don't know what sample rate the instrument had or what his play back speed was. I guess if you downloaded the file you could find the playback sample rate.

The other possibility, which is one that I do not subscribe to, that has been put forward by some is that it is scalar energy. Since it has never been demonstrated that scalar energy exists I personally consider it unlikely but I mention it for completeness.

The main point is that I also produced a file for the 8.9 and there was none of that noise in it. Now why is that? Bad processing on his part as far as I am concerned.

By the way the file I got that sound from was an instrument in Yellowstone (MCID) and was played back at 8000Hz which is 80x the original 100Hz sample rate.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AprilSky

You are right in many ways. The sounds that you hear during an earthquake will be completely different.

The reason for this is that as I mentioned in the previous post the sample rate of that file is 100Hz. With a distant quake like Japan there will be very few 'hits' during a cycle of 100 samples that are of high amplitude to create a sound and you cannot 'hear' the earthquake. but you can feel it.

The aim of earthquake sounds is, for me anyway, to identify what is going on. I usually only play these files at 10x speed but with a distant quake like that you would hear nothing. It has to be at least 40x speed to get anything out of the speakers.

But at the end of the day you are right, neither of those is the sound that those who are experiencing the quake hear, but none of those sounds are the earthquake, they are all the sounds associated with the effects of the earthquake and possibly some harmonics from the rupture itself.

new topics

top topics

join