It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Soy Food, It's Everywhere and It's Bad For You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Most people tend to think that Soy food is a great substitute for meat products due to the ever increasing amount of hormones and cancers. However, a recent article in Mothering Magazine tends to prove that popular view quite wrong.

www.mothering.com
"Over the past decade, soy foods have become America's favorite health food. Newspapers, magazines, and best-selling health writers have proclaimed the "joy of soy" and promoted the belief that soy food is the key to disease prevention and maximum longevity.

The possibility that an inexpensive plant food could prevent heart disease, fight cancer, fan away hot flashes, and build strong bodies in far more than 12 ways is seductive. The truth, unfortunately, is far more complex.

Americans rarely hear anything negative about soy. Thanks to the shrewd public relations campaigns waged by Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), Protein Technologies International (PTI), the American Soybean Association, and other soy interests, as well as the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) 1999 approval of the health claim that soy protein lowers cholesterol, soy maintains a "healthy" image."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While the above quotes from the article don't reveal that much, please take time and read the article because it is shocking. Soy, when ingested by humans, produces a type of synthetic estrogen that is making men more effeminate and making women more succeptable to breast cancer and ovarian cancers.

The scariest thing is that now soy is in everything. In school cafeterias, as much as 40% of the meat consists of soy filler, there are also amounts of soy in almost every type of food that can be purchased today.

Add to the fact that it is also causing early maturation in girls and late maturation in men. It can clearly be seen we need to do something now!

Related News Links:
www.businessweek.com
www.healingcrow.com

[edit on 20-7-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Hi Lockheed, thank you for posting this article/link for everyone to be aware about Soy. I read this article this weekend as well, and it truely was an eye opener. I would like to second your recommendation that people should read this article, especially if you have babies that you are feeding soy based formulas. After reading this article, my wife and I threw out the Soy formula we have been feeding our daughter. We have now gone back to a milk based formula. Here is the part of the article that caught our attention.

Male infants experience a testosterone surge during the first few months of life and produce androgens in amounts equal to those of adult men. So much testosterone at such a tender age is needed to program the body for puberty, the time when a male's sex organs should develop and he should begin to express male characteristics such as facial and pubic hair and a deep voice. If receptor sites intended for the hormone testosterone are occupied by soy estrogens, however, appropriate development may never take place.71-74 To date, most of the evidence damning soy formula can be found only in animal studies, because investigations in which humans' sex hormone levels are lowered experimentally cannot ethically be done. However, in the years since soy formula has been in the marketplace, parents and pediatricians have reported growing numbers of boys whose physical maturation is either delayed or does not occur at all. Breasts, underdeveloped gonads, undescended testicles (cryptorchidism), and steroid insufficiencies are increasingly common. Sperm counts are also falling.75-79
Soy formula is bad news for girls as well. Natural estrogen levels approximately double during the first month of life, then decline and remain at low levels until puberty. With increased estrogens in the environment in the diet, an alarming number of girls are entering puberty much earlier than normal.80-82 One percent of girls now show signs of puberty, such as breast development or pubic hair, before the age of three. By the age of eight, 14.7 percent of Caucasian girls and 48.3 percent of African American girls had one or both of these characteristics.83 The fact that blacks experience earlier puberties than whites is not a racial difference but a recent phenomenon.84, 85
Tom Sawyer

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I was raised on soy milk as a child, and eat soy based food daily.. and well, im ok

for the most part

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
Add to the fact that it is also causing early maturation in girls and late maturation in men. It can clearly be seen we need to do something now!

Jeez! That is serious!

How the hell do they find that out anyhow?

I hear eating too much chocolate is bad for you too.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I want to add that the new information on Soy, was just the icing on the cake for us. The actual cake for us, was this unknown information in the article:

Most of the fears concerning soy formula have focused on estrogens. There are other problems as well, notably much higher levels of aluminum, fluoride, and manganese than are found in either breastmilk or dairy formulas.90-96 All three metals have the potential to adversely affect brain development. Although trace amounts of manganese are vital to the development of the brain, toxic levels accrued from ingestion of soy formula during infancy have been found in children suffering from attention-deficit disorders, dyslexia, and other learning problems.97, 98

The irony here, is that my wife and I were already aware/concerned about Fluoride in the water supplies. So we purchased a filteration system to get most of it out. (When we get enough money, we plan to purchase a distillation system to get everything out of the tap water.) Then we read this article and found out the Fluoride we were trying to avoid in the first place, is being added to the infant Soy formulas. We feel like we are chasing our tails, with trying to keep our daughter as healthy/pure as possible.

Tom

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I guess overall it does put up some warning flags, especially for pre-natal care and infants. Early puberty at 8 for females, I'm kinda suspicious that may not be all that related. In Roman times the average lifespan was 30, prior to that anthropologically (10,000yrs) it might have been 20 or something. Early reproductive capacity would allow shorted lived people to reproduce in the time they would have been alive. Sometimes our cultural biases rear their heads in so called clinical opinions. Soy may have an effect, but we have no long term data to show intial puberty is out of or within historical norms. There may have been intermitant times when starvation or any number of conditions caused the lifespan to be even shorter, during those times a small percentage of the population with very early puberty may have been essential for the species to survive. Like the small large beak finches in the Galapagos. Usually the small beaks thrive, but when drought hits (El Nino) the small beaks starve and the big beaks survive to reproduce. The ratio of small to large beaks is a majority of small beaks, but a significant number of large beaks.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Here's a quote that I think captures this story...it's from Annie Hall:

ROB: Max, if we lived in California, we could play outdoors every day, in the sun.

ALVY: Sun is bad for yuh. Everything our parents said was good is bad. Sun, milk, red meat, college ...

What about tofu, miso, soy flour...I don't live off these things but I enjoy them on occasion when I go out for sushi or something...but the fact is that millions live and have lived on this product - modern science has made everything look like it can kill you, so now I just plug my ears and stroll along....

[edit on 7/20/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The study does not control for the largest variables in the experiment. How were the beans raised and how were they processed? Junk science.

The closing quote makes me laugh.

"The bottom line is that the safety of soy foods has yet to be proven, and that human beings have become guinea pigs in what Daniel M. Sheehan, formerly senior toxicologist with the FDA's National Center for Toxicological Research, has called a "large, uncontrolled and basically unmonitored human experiment."

Mr. Sheehan should take another gander at sodium lauryl sulfate. The amount of SLS that we're ALL exposed to, is just staggering.

www.google.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
As with most products...they create a demand without knowing the 100% true facts about them...remembers when eggs where great for you then bad and now great again..how about when milk was great then milk was bad for young kids now it's a must...the point is we fall for these healthy foods and pay out the wazoo...ever notice the latest diet craze...what's the one now..carb I right...it all stems down to money...nobody really knows what is good for you beacuse medical science knows very little about the body....and if they don't know..why would the FDA or some dead guy named Atkins who's diet is now the latest thing yet he died of a heartattack...go figure

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Resist
nobody really knows what is good for you beacuse medical science knows very little about the body

Exactly Resist.

This magazine article gives mis-information of the worst kind, pandering to ignorant fear.

It's laughable to think that soy would have a larger percentage of animal hormone in it than milk.
Or that flouride is a natural part of soy products, just buy a brand that hasn't mixed it in, simple.

We should be more worried about genetically modified crops and their untested, unknown inclusion into our basic food supply.
There was a study here in the UK (imagine that!) where scientists discovered that the small GM crop samples (one acre! in the open air!) seriously damaged local wild-life. Like DUH! of course it would have a detrimental effect you idiots, what were/are you thinking! And that effect is now indiginous with no way of removing the man-altered strain from nature! HOW SERIOUS IS THAT?
The audacity of thinking they can improve on what has been here on this planet feeding a multitude of life for an unimaginable length of time.

Ready Roundup for tea anyone?
Hey, I'm glowing all over!

[edit on 21-7-2004 by shanti23]

new topics

top topics

join