It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists May Have Found Atlantis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

So what? I was saying that while nobody can say for sure whether Atlantis existed or not, I am however inclined to believe it based on my own research. What's wrong with saying that huh? And NEVER at ANY POINT IN TIME did I claim to know more than the 'experts' as you have tried to insinuate.

Furthermore, while you claim thousands have decided its a parable, I claim that thousands also do NOT think its a parable, some of whom are evidenced in the upcoming documentary. Now, what the hell is wrong with that? What part of that did you not understand clearly? I am speaking English aren't I?

Come to think of it, this is more troll behaviour than anything, picking apart someone's argument and twisting it into something that its not. This thread began light-hearted until you and another troll came along and twisted mine and others words.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
Other cultures would have recorded evidence of Atlantis existing but it doesn't exist.

Ahh, I get it, you have a time machine. Only someone with a time machine, having seen the time period for themselves, would be so sure of such a statement.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Only 1 person has ever claimed the existence of Atlantis and that is Plato and he was describing events that took place thousands of years before even lived. It is a myth that is romantically perpetuated like slaves building the Pyramids (also false). Plato himself refers to Atlantis in Timaeus as a response to Socrates own hypothetical - something they often did.

You keep referring to your research project as being your number one source on your belief system when it comes to this topic and that you got a "high distinction" for it as if you then are an authority of the topic at hand. That is why I question why you believe your own conclusions are better drawn than others.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

No, I am simply using it as an example that there are plenty of people out there, experts included, who believe Atlantis is real. I wrote it in plain English so I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that. You're arguing for the sake of arguing.

Hows that time machine going?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I found myself really liking the take and research this guy did on Atlantis:

atlantismaps.com...

It's pretty long but very in-depth and, in the end, I think he's onto something big time with it all.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

The Canary Islands is about to drop a very large turd into the sea.
The "freak channel" says it will create a wave all the way to new jersey.
Personally, i just want every single penny i have been ripped off.
And One Dollar for every moment i have been distracted by
The Word Atlantis. You owe me , Big time.
For a few Dollars More.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

That is actually untrue in regards only one person speaking of Atlantis. However the lineage of alternative sources is potentially dubious in some cases like The Secret Doctrine, not just of Blavatsky fame, but that of the Rosacrucian Cosmo Genesis/Anthropogenesis and many others. The idea of highly advanced cultures of the same supposed time periods and same geographical places are also recorded in various cultures"myth" but also in the Mahabarata (Atlans/and Rama wars.) from the Hindu Vedas. In Raja yoga studies, which I am an Abhyasis (devotee) many of the Gurus speak quite potently of the ancient civilizations and the Karmic retribution they brought down upon themselves, much the same as being played out again now. The story as portrayed by Plato was/is serving a twofold purpose in my opinion, one a history lesson, the other a moral/spiritual one.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

This is my first Atlantis post so I am a part shareholder in your time owing factor. I also stated that I never believed in Atlantis but the idea stands as plausible. This isn't my own title but Yahoo news which I haven't seen lying in the past so they must be delivering the news because of recovered evidence.

I am not saying this is for sure Atlantis, hence, the "May have found Atlantis" part of the title.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The show FINDING ATLANTIS will air tonight 3/13/11 on National Geographic at 9pm est. It will repeat again at 11pm.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
HOLY CRAP: They Found Atlantis!

March 12, 2011

A bunch of scientists think they've found Atlantis.

In Spain, of all places.

The city was apparently buried by a tsunami, which is a particularly scary concept given what happened in Japan yesterday

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e80087319417.jpg[/atsimg]

We looked at the satellite pictures, we dug, and there it was!

www.businessinsider.com...

There's a National Geographic special this Sunday that will reveal the whole project. It's called "Finding Atlantis"

Interesting thread and good find, looking forward to watching the National Geographic special on Finding Atlantis this Sunday evening.

Maybe this is it, there are many lost civilizations, if this isn't Atlantis it could very well be another lost civilization.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

I am watching "Finding Atlantis right now, great presentation so far, the dives are showing what looks like man cut blocks that may have been part of buildings.

Recording the show to look at more carefully in the future.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I just watched "Finding Atlantis" ... What a bunch of hogwash. I basically learned nothing and they haven't even started digging the supposed site in Spain yet. Wtf? What was the point of wasting an hour of everyone's time? Bunch of Rothschild disinfo I guess...

The only thing that was interesting was that Troy was thought to be myth also and some guy followed the clues in the ancient texts to find the actual Troy.

And plus, wasn't Atlantis supposed to be in the middle of the Atlantic between the U.S. and Europe, hence the name? Bah!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Ok so I just watched the 'Finding Atlantis' documentary about this and I have to say I think they may just have found it. I don't want to spoil it for anybody so I won't give out any details but suffice it to say this isn't just another bunch of wannabes and the evidence they present is compelling to say the least.

I assume if it's not already on YouTube it will be soon. I highly recommend watching it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Topato

Plato actually said it was located 'beyond the Pillars of Heracles' ie: Straits if Gibralter - they actually even said that at the start of the Finding Atlantis doco which makes me believe you haven't actually watched it at all, or you weren't paying any attention to it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Plato only mentions Atlantis once, but Cayce's channellings (amongest other spiritual gurus as mentioned)on Atlantis are fairly in depth. There are those who think they are a hoax too. That is their right but some of them resonate with me. One being the map he foresaw after 2012. His future map says it and Lemuria will both re-emerge from the oceans in 2012. That could certainly explain why the devastation in 2012 predicitions, just not how they will emerge.

I believe it is highly probable both continents existed. This planet changes over and over again, many land masses that were once ocean are now uncovered. I guess time will tell one way or another.
edit on 14-3-2011 by of the Ether because: added to content

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Topato

When they determined that a straight line displayed on their side-scan sonar was man-made I knew we were in for quite a ride. The only saving grace was when they quickly noted that they had a geologist on board, who proved to be the only voice of reason.

The historical commentary was inaccurate as well. Three years for a round trip from Israel to Spain? This was only a 2-4 month excursion for the Phoenicians.

They assert that Atlantis was destroyed 4,000 years ago while also claiming to adhere to Plato's account. Yet according to Plato, Atlantis was destroyed almost 12,000 years ago. I'm not saying that I necessarily disagree with the adjusted time frame, but I was disappointed that they made no attempt to explain the disparity.

In November I was contacted by a British film crew seeking information for an Atlantis documentary. It did not work out, but for a few uneasy moments I feared this was the one and that I had dodged a big ugly bullet.

-Doug

(BTW, I googled the firm that contacted me, Zig Zag Productions. The title of their documentary will be The Truth Behind Atlantis. I did not end up contributing, but still I cannot imagine it being less accurate than this documentary.)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I think there is nothing unreal about the Lost City of Atlantis. After all The City of Troy, which was suppose to be a myth was found. Over time the story of the Lost City of Atlantis turned into a continent run by aliens with power crystals and humans flying in aircraft. Thats what made the story unbelievable. One of the reasons its been difficult to find all these years is probably because it was known by a different name in ancient times. There is a biblical city that fits the same description of Atlantis and it disappeared. It was known of under a different name.
edit on 14-3-2011 by Greensboro1978 because: edit text

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
reply to post by Kryties

Did you not say this?

That is merely conjecture. Nobody can say for sure whether or not Atlantis existed (unless you're telling me you've been back in time) and therefore nobody can make absolute claims that it did or did not. Mocking those who believe it exists is just to make yourself feel like a tough guy.

and this?

Some people believe that Plato used it as a 'thought-experiment' that is true. I used to be on the fence regarding the subject, not knowing if it were simply a story or not but after having completed a Uni assignment on it and having researched the subject quite a bit, I am inclined to believe it is completely true.

Experts and scholars like philosophers and historians, literally thousands, dedicated their entire lives to the study of Plato and Atlantis and have drawn the conclusion that it was a parable. It is unfair for you to claim that nobody can state Atlantis' existence definitively when so many have. It may have been ancient times but people were still keeping a historical record and the only one to ever mention the city is Plato. Other cultures would have recorded evidence of Atlantis existing but it doesn't exist.

Before I finish reading this thread, I'm feel very obligated to jump to this guy's defense. You seriously appear to be attacking the guy with literal no argument of your own, rather you're choosing to read into his statements with little to no comprehension of what those statements you placed in bold text actually mean.

Honestly, no one can say for sure whether atlantis existed or not. I've yet to watch the show, but I plan on doing so today. Based on his own personal research and opinions, he believes the story to be true and based in factual reality. May I happily point out that for years many people thought the city of troy was just a fable as the only historical account of this city existed within a story. Who's to say such a scenario won't play out for atlantis? Can you say one hundred percent for sure that this lost city doesn't exist? Do you know yourself one hundred percent that it's just a story?

If you don't know yourself and can not prove this to the rest of the board, then your argument is simply moot, a waste of space.

people were still keeping a historical record and the only one to ever mention the city is Plato. Other cultures would have recorded evidence of Atlantis existing but it doesn't exist.

The Ancient Greek historian Herodotus wrote quiet a few thing's down that were found to be true by historians which there are no other records known to exist for. He even wrote down some things that are just ridiculous sounding that historians don't believe to have ever been true or real. Until more study and research is undertaken, we can't write off things we simply don't agree with due to personal bias.

In other words, stop acting like all those uneducated dumb morons who thought Troy was a myth before you make a fool out of yourself. Learn from history, don't repeat it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

It is a myth that is romantically perpetuated like slaves building the Pyramids (also false).

Was never a perpetuated myth. It was a long running theory until recent archeological evidence painted a larger understanding of the construction of the pyramids. It's also been a long running theory that spiral ramps running around the pyramid were utilized in it's construction until yet again, recent developments are giving us a better understanding of it's construction.

You don't seem to have a proper grasp of the phrase "perpetuated myth". You still in school?

you got a "high distinction" for it as if you then are an authority of the topic at hand.

I'm just going to conclude that English is not your native language and that perhaps there is a smidgen of misunderstanding on your part here. What he is basically saying is that he got a good grade on the paper and the teacher/professor really liked his work. High distinction on a school project does not mean god damn instant authority on the subject. Jesus christ... Your just not bright at all.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Doug Fisher

hey assert that Atlantis was destroyed 4,000 years ago while also claiming to adhere to Plato's account. Yet according to Plato, Atlantis was destroyed almost 12,000 years ago.

To be fair, there are two different dates given by Atlantis proponents. Some think Plato was talking about the city existing 9,000 years from his telling and others think it was more like 900. A simple math error just throws the whole thing out of whack. I personally think the city existed closer to the 900 mark myself.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Originally posted by boondock-saint
While I have no doubt that a tsunami can wipe out
an entire civilization. The problem I have is keeping
it totally submerged after the tsunami has ended.
Where did all this water come from that never rescinded
back into the ocean?

I don't know there are a lot of sunken cities around the world. The water level could have been on the rise and all that was needed was one tsunami to prevent them from rebuilding on the same spot again. For all we know they could have been having one tough day and everything fell apart.

Regardless though I think it is an interesting story.

Or simply the land mass can go down below the sea level just in the case of several quakes in the past and the recent one from Japan last week.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join