It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists May Have Found Atlantis

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Stupid question... but how do they know that's Atlantis?

Are they saving all their proof for a tv show to be aired at a later date?

If so, Poo.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue
Stupid question... but how do they know that's Atlantis?

Are they saving all their proof for a tv show to be aired at a later date?

If so, Poo.

My best guess is that of course they don't KNOW this is Atlantis but they would like us to think they have.
edit on 12/3/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Atlantis might have existed as a modern society like ours.

Let me tell you all a little theory.

The science and technology we have today will soon be science fiction, maybe within 30 to 40 years. Depending how rapid we harvest earth finite resources to run our damned society.

When we reach peak energy do to our exponential demand for always more energy, Humanity will descend into darkness. Never to recover with the same science or technology ever again, because we will have depleted earth for resources needed for such a recovery.

Maybe this is what happened to Atlantis as well. Their way of life drove them to extinction, just like we are doing to our selves now.

When we reach peak energy, we will have reached peak humanity.

What i am trying to say is that Atlantis was our home a long time ago, But we failed and drove ourselves over the edge and into darkness. Today we stand and wonder who the Atlanteans were since they possessed such advanced technology. Imagine this: 20 000 year from now humanity will wonder who we were since we had such advanced technology.

]
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
reply to post by Aquarius1

I cant see that on my listings for Sunday night

OP interesting stuffs keep us updated!

It shows on my Sunday night lineup 9:00 PM Eastern on NGEO, just put a reminder on it, now if I remember to turn on my TV I am good to go.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

It shows on my Sunday night lineup 9:00 PM Eastern on NGEO, just put a reminder on it, now if I remember to turn on my TV I am good to go.

Blast i dont have that channel here in the UK
I just have Nat Geo and Nat Geo Wild.... can you give us a heads up on the program? xx

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Check out the link, I don't know how long it takes but they will put it on line eventually..sorry you don't get the channel in the U.K. I will give an update after I watch the program.

Actually my channel is also Nat GO, maybe you have different programing there, I know they do that here in the U.S., East Coast vs West.

channel.nationalgeographic.com...-Photos/8

edit on 12-3-2011 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

The link is just showing 9pm sunday

I'll keep looking for it but if i cant find it I'd be really grateful for an update xxx

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
While I have no doubt that a tsunami can wipe out
an entire civilization. The problem I have is keeping
it totally submerged after the tsunami has ended.
Where did all this water come from that never rescinded
back into the ocean?

I don't know there are a lot of sunken cities around the world. The water level could have been on the rise and all that was needed was one tsunami to prevent them from rebuilding on the same spot again. For all we know they could have been having one tough day and everything fell apart.

Regardless though I think it is an interesting story.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
i wonder if they found the "welcome to atlantis" sign? but seriously, there are hundreds, probably thousands of underwater cities, and none will ever be proven to be the one from Plato's stories...and, as someone who used to live in northampton, i wouldnt believe anything that anybody in that town says...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Let's see...

1. Just north of Cadiz
2. In a swamp
3. Likely lost to flooding and/or tsunami

Hmmm...sounds to me like they might have found Tartessos and not Atlantis.

Tartessos

Which is a great archaeological find in and of itself. Akin to Schliemann finding supposedly mythical Troy.
edit on 3/12/2011 by Mad Simian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Since the site is north of Cadiz then they found the remains of Gadir, an ancient Phoenician city. Gadir means "walled city" and if they find a broken down walled city under the tsunami flows then they have found a long lost city. It is interesting to note that Gadeirus is one of Poseidons 10 sons which he begot with the human female named Cleito.

The city was originally founded as Gadir (Phoenician גדר "walled city") by the Phoenicians, who used it in their trade with Tartessos, a city-state believed by archaeologists to be somewhere near the mouth of the Guadalquivir River, about thirty kilometres northwest of Cadiz. (Its exact location has never been firmly established.)

en.wikipedia.org...

This is the only city that names one of the 10 sons of Poseidon who was connected to Atlantis. The other 9 sons probably had cities named after them also. Makes you wonder if Atlantis was a Phoenician tale.

Here's the names of the 10 sons:

Atlas
Gadeirus
Ampheres
Evaemon
Mneseus
Autochthon
Elasippus
Mestor
Azaes
Diaprepes

Critias

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

The people who are hardcore about Atlantis haven't been accepting lots of things for a very long time - like their lithium.

Atlantis is something Plato cooked up, that thousands of 20th-century hucksters and fiction writers have run away with.

And this is a lost city in Spain. Betcha it's going to turn out to be Phoenician or maybe late Greek.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

That is merely conjecture. Nobody can say for sure whether or not Atlantis existed (unless you're telling me you've been back in time) and therefore nobody can make absolute claims that it did or did not. Mocking those who believe it exists is just to make yourself feel like a tough guy.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Yes it is very interesting, I have lived in the south of Spain most of my life and have quiet a lot of information that points to some ancient civilization in the area. Whether it was really Atlantis, or just a colony that is another question. I knew some miners working near Seville close to the area and they told me they saw all sorts of stuff was simply being buried again, so as not to interfere with the work. What always surprised me about the south of Spain is that the further you move east, the more artefacts and ancient building you come across. Take Greece, Italy and Turkey as an example, not to mention the Lebanon and the surrounding countries. They are littered with ancient sites, I would ask myself why not Andalucia (southern Spain) the answer that always echoed back to me was that they are there but hidden underground. Being ruled by the catholic church this has always been denied.Lets hope those days are over.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad Simian

my guess that Tartessos was a left over colony of Atlantis and forms part of an ancient war zone. Time will tell, as the truth rises out of the earth. I feel we are in for some very interesting times ahead of us, lots of investigation and hopefully we will be able to learn from our old mistakes. Would make a lot of sense !

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox
[more
Hey I like your avatar, but i lived there and as much your logical assumptions point towards what is known. When you scratch below the surface there is loads to be discovered. The area Andalucia 4500 years ago more than likely was navigable in many areas; this is what makes the study interesting and difficult. As I said the church was not interested in anything pre-roman getting attention, many locals believe that anything that is found is either roman or Arabic. That is not to say that there are many informed people who are thinking otherwise. As funny as it may sound, its the history books that blind people the most. The English scholars have always said that the Celtic people left the British Isles and immigrated to other lands and that is what everyone believed. Who could argue otherwise in those days? To be honest, it didn’t ring true with me. Well more recently, it has been confirmed that the Celtic people actually immigrated north coming from the Iberian Peninsula. So if we make assumptions with such recent stuff, what are we not going to do with Atlantis and Lemuria. Keep you mind open to the possibilities, it may not be Atlantis but whatever is found is going to be beneficial to mankind in piecing together are ancient history.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

So all the people who have dedicated their lives and professions to the studying of Plato's works are wrong because you've read it and drawn different conclusions and spent a few weeks doing research for a university class? Sorry, but I'm with the experts on this one and Atlantis has been debunked for years.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Which experts would they be? Surely not the many experts who believe Plato was speaking fact and that Atlantis exists? There are many of them you know....some of which will be appearing on Sunday night on Discovery Channel lol......

And NEVER at ANY POINT IN TIME did I say I know more than the experts. NEVER. I was simply pointing out I knew a little about the story because I did a Uni assignment on it. I also made the note of saying that I believed it (note the use of the word BELIEVED) to be true based upon my own research. NEVER did I claim that I was the be-all and end-all of the story.

Nice try though mate.
edit on 13/3/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Link please...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Did you not say this?

That is merely conjecture. Nobody can say for sure whether or not Atlantis existed (unless you're telling me you've been back in time) and therefore nobody can make absolute claims that it did or did not. Mocking those who believe it exists is just to make yourself feel like a tough guy.

and this?

Some people believe that Plato used it as a 'thought-experiment' that is true. I used to be on the fence regarding the subject, not knowing if it were simply a story or not but after having completed a Uni assignment on it and having researched the subject quite a bit, I am inclined to believe it is completely true.

Experts and scholars like philosophers and historians, literally thousands, dedicated their entire lives to the study of Plato and Atlantis and have drawn the conclusion that it was a parable. It is unfair for you to claim that nobody can state Atlantis' existence definitively when so many have. It may have been ancient times but people were still keeping a historical record and the only one to ever mention the city is Plato. Other cultures would have recorded evidence of Atlantis existing but it doesn't exist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join