It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists May Have Found Atlantis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I know this is a long shot and I was the biggest skeptic about Atlantis but I found this pretty interesting.

NORTHAMPTON, Mass (Reuters) – A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.
Yahoo

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I used to be the biggest skeptic of lost civilizations like Atlantis and Lemuria but now I think it could be plausible after all. We now know how quickly one natural catastrophe can wipe out a whole civilization from the brink of history. All it would take is one major Earthquake to destroy the infrastructure and than the tsunami to erase.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures but the article didn't provide any.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

They don't give a date yet.
S & F

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

After seeing how quickly Japan has been swamped,one can understand how ancient civilisations may well have been lost!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Hmm, I smell unreliability. They just outright say "The metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami" -- that feels like a way to cache in on google searches for "Tsunami." If it's true, this would put rest to... absolutely nothing, because the people who are hardcore about Atlantis wouldn't accept it just being a city in Spain.

I think we have to wait for the NatGeo special to air to really judge...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Actually, the general consensus is that Atlantis WAS hit by a tsunami. As Plato described it in Timaeus-Critias -

"But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea. For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable, because there is a shoal of mud in the way; and this was caused by the subsidence of the island."

So the use of the word tsunami is quite appropriate.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I have heard conflicting stories.
One says a tsunami may have wiped out Atlantis
while another says the great flood wiped it out.
However, be it known that a tidal wave after
it's initial force will subside again back into the sea
from whence it came and just leave the destruction
above the water level like we see in the images
of Japan. However, Atlantis seemed to have some
high structures and was completely covered by the
sea so I don't understand how this can be attributed
to a tsunami which the article suggest.

While I have no doubt that a tsunami can wipe out
an entire civilization. The problem I have is keeping
it totally submerged after the tsunami has ended.
Where did all this water come from that never rescinded
back into the ocean?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to say that Atlantis wasn't hit by a tsunami -- I just meant that I haven't often heard the word Tsunami directly applied to the Atlantis thing. Most people go with some variation of the phrase "Submerged by a Catastrophe" in my experience.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Ahh fair enough.

I did a website devoted to Atlantis recently for a Uni assignment, got a high distinction too lol I should put it up on the web somewhere.

Spain would certainly fit with Platos description of it being located "beyond the Pillars of Heracles" - sort of. Actually Spain sits smack-bang above them.

Boon - just a thought but perhaps Atlantis did sink but when the seas retreated it was either buried in, or sunken down into the mud? Plato did speak of impassable mud-shoals.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Boon - just a thought but perhaps Atlantis did sink but when the seas retreated it was either buried in, or sunken down into the mud? Plato did speak of impassable mud-shoals.

maybe
but according to some of the maps of Atlantis
that I have seen. Atlantis was an entire continent
maybe a lil smaller than America is. It would have
taken an earth altering event to submerge an entire
continent under sea level. A land mass that size
that sinks into the depths could have caused sea
levels world wide to increase by 6 to 8 feet by
displacement of land mass.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Nice thread

I found this bit of info from another source you might be interested in.

dir.groups.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Plato said it was larger than (ancient) Libya and Asia-Minor combined. A sizable chunk of land yes, but not as big as you are describing I don't think (off the top of my head - I'd check but I'm in bed on my iPhone and that's a lot of effort hehe). But given Platos description, Spain seems to be a good candidate. Don't forget that Plato was merely reciting something supposedly told to him by an Egyptian and that it had occured a LONG time before Platos recollection.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm a definite Atlantis-skeptic though I use to be curious about it.

Plato wrote it as a thought experiment to Socrates in Timaeus. Just like the Parable of the Cave and others.

They found a city and probably a memorial to the lost city, but I highly doubt that in the end it will be concluded that the site is definitively Atlantis.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
don't forget all those submerged villages
that can be seen on the bottom of the english channel...
Id say they speak for them selves.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by boondock-saint

Plato said it was larger than (ancient) Libya and Asia-Minor combined. A sizable chunk of land yes, but not as big as you are describing I don't think (off the top of my head - I'd check but I'm in bed on my iPhone and that's a lot of effort hehe). But given Platos description, Spain seems to be a good candidate. Don't forget that Plato was merely reciting something supposedly told to him by an Egyptian and that it had occured a LONG time before Platos recollection.

good on you for knowing what you're talking about

id look to the Atlantic floor, or maybe they where talking about the americas

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Some people believe that Plato used it as a 'thought-experiment' that is true. I used to be on the fence regarding the subject, not knowing if it were simply a story or not but after having completed a Uni assignment on it and having researched the subject quite a bit, I am inclined to believe it is completely true.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
HOLY CRAP: They Found Atlantis!

March 12, 2011

A bunch of scientists think they've found Atlantis.

In Spain, of all places.

The city was apparently buried by a tsunami, which is a particularly scary concept given what happened in Japan yesterday

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e80087319417.jpg[/atsimg]

We looked at the satellite pictures, we dug, and there it was!

www.businessinsider.com...

There's a National Geographic special this Sunday that will reveal the whole project. It's called "Finding Atlantis"

Interesting thread and good find, looking forward to watching the National Geographic special on Finding Atlantis this Sunday evening.

Maybe this is it, there are many lost civilizations, if this isn't Atlantis it could very well be another lost civilization.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
so do these guys have to share credit we these guys
news.bbc.co.uk
from 2004? et al?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

But it all depends on how far deep Atlantis is under the waves in the Atlantic or Mediterranean. If it's way too deep, the pressure will crush anything we would never be able to go down and look for it. Even the deep-sea vehicles have a limit as to how deep they can go.

That's why I think we won't be seeing Atlantis for a while, unless we come up with some new underwater tech or Atlantis itself is in a more shallow area that doesn't crush our cameras.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I cant see that on my listings for Sunday night

OP interesting stuffs keep us updated!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join