It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation tracking on the west coast. Volunteers needed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I was reading about this in another thread and wondered the same thing. Thanks for making that clear about iodine and the thyroid.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
My god! If another nuclear disaster occurs the Lake District in the UK will be humming!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
oh man im in portland oregon... how do i know if im being affected bye radiation

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

The area where there is a nuclear installation is Sellafield that is blamed on radiation scares here in the UK. There was a plant at Dounreay in Scotland but that is being decommissioned now.
All cattle, sheep that ate the grass at that time of Chernobyl in Scotland and other pockets of the UK were slaughtered. All milk from the cows was discarded. I can recall a fine dust on vegetation but we were not made aware how dangerous it was to health etc... back in 1986. Time will tell if it affected people here in the UK?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by onthelookout

Here's a good site that will have info and Potassium Iodine to ship by Tuesday, hope this helps scroll down to Thyro-safe:

www.ki4u.com...

Excellent Info on Main Site:

www.ki4u.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
best be going to see my local trader for some 'Rad-away'......

Seems 'Fallout' might have been a good choice to play last year.....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Someone posted this link earlier in another thread. I've been watching it, but not sure how much good it will really do.

Welcome to RadiationNetwork.com, home of the National Radiation Map, depicting environmental radiation levels across the USA, updated in real time every 3 minutes. This is the first web site where the average citizen (or anyone in the world) can see what radiation levels are anywhere in the USA at any time

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Originally posted by thedeadwalkk
Can salt be used if you dont have access to potassium iodide or kelp?

No. Only iodine and here is why:

The greatest risk from radiation release following a nuclear power plant accident or detonation of a nuclear weapon is from iodine131. This isotope of iodine is one of the products of uranium fission. The problem is that this isotope of iodine is concentrated by the body in one spot: the thyroid. Thus, the thyroid gets a much heavier radiation dose than any other part of the body. In the years following the 1986 Chernobyl accident, thyroid cancer is the only cancer to have seen a significantly increased incidence, and the increase in thyroid cancer there is huge. The World Health Organization estimates that a third of the children in parts of Belarus will develop thyroid cancer.

However, the thyroid takes only as much iodine as it can use. By consuming iodine-containing tablets for the days following radiation release during which exposure is greatest, the thyroid is saturated and will not take up much of the radioactive iodine131.

The half life of iodine131 is only eight days, so the time one needs protection is limited. In most cases I can imagine, withing a few days either wind would have dispersed the radioactive material or we would have evacuated.

Events that would trigger the need for potassium iodide are quite unlikely, but so are many events that we insure against. I see potassium iodide as an insurance policy against the unlikely event of a nuclear weapon detonation or a reactor accident.

Source: www.wfu.edu...

Radiation gets absorbed through the thyroid. However, your thyroid gland will only absorb so much. Hence, dosing yourself with iodine -- in the proper amounts -- prevents your thyroid from absorbing the iodine found in nuclear fallout.

Thank you for the explanation concerning the iodine. I'd heard of this, but didn't fully understand the reasons behind it. Good info in this thread. We can only trust ourselves to look out for one another. I hope nothing comes of the situation, but being proactive is always the best course of action.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I am pasting this information in every thread I feel it is relevant. As I am currently unable to create a thread of my own please excuse the repetition. I feel this information is possibly of great importance and so wish to promulgate it rapidly:

Q. Would ingestion of iodized, common table salt be effective in a nuclear accident if KI pills are not available?

A. The daily dose of potassium iodide (KI) for thyroid blocking is 130 mg per day for up to two weeks. This equates to 96 mg of iodine (I). Iodized salt contains about 0.085 mg of KI per gram of salt (according to the Morton Salt Company). To get the I equivalent of a 130 mg KI pill would require the ingestion of 1,529 grams of salt which would most likely be fatal. According to research by Health Physicist Ken Miller, Hershey Medical Center,

a person can get a blocking dose of iodine by painting 8 ml of either tincture of iodine or providone iodine (betadine) scrub on the forearm daily

. William Kirk, PhD, CHP Pennsylvania Bureau of Radiation Protection

LINK

PLEASE PASS THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR FRIENDS ON THE WEST COAST AND CONTACTS IN JAPAN
edit on 12-3-2011 by Hardfelt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
partial meltdown confirmed at reactor 1. Speculations about partial meltdown at reactor 2.
Reactor 3 is full of uranium and plutonium. If a meltdown occurs at reactor 3, well excuse my french, Japan and the west is #ed

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hardfelt

I found this very helpfull

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02

Good, but where is the radiation supposed to be coming from?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
This is the only active tracking site I have found in the US. www.radiationnetwork.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

violator I'm not too far from you, would you please keep reading and post them here?
Thank you x10

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I would recommend (and I am not a medical professional) getting potassium iodide pills unless you are allergic to iodine. I would like to take it as a precautionary measure and believe it is sensible to so do.

Can anyone who is, or who knows, a medical professional, talk about how those who cannot get potassium iodide pills with immediacy are able to ensure the security of their thyroids?

I'll gladly report for the cause of finding out the truth of how this will affect the US/Canadian West Coast, from my own subjective personal experience. I am presently in Portland and on 3/15 will be in San Francisco.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gildedlily

you can use rosemary as well but it is no where near as effective as iodine.

Order the pills asap online or get them from your local pharmacy before the masses realize whats going on and rush the stores.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deja`Vu
reply to post by gildedlily

you can use rosemary as well but it is no where near as effective as iodine.

Order the pills asap online or get them from your local pharmacy before the masses realize whats going on and rush the stores.

Thank you. That is exactly the information I needed.

I grow an herb garden outside. I have brought the rosemary inside and will be brewing tea with it after a thorough washing.

I have read a couple things here and there about how household iodine (the kind one would put on a cut) applied topically to the skin would also be of use. Is there any validity in topically applied iodine as a preventative measure?

First priority when the stores open tomorrow is to see whether they have it in stock. Again, many thanks.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

After Chernobyl went, a snowstorm traveled from the area and dumped snow in the Canadian Prairies. We literally were sent outside to "play in the nuclear snow" at recess.

While the maps going out are hoaxes - the fact remains that fallout does happen.

I expect fallout - if Chernobyl's reached here so will this one. But what that means exactly - that I've never really gotten a straight answer about.

I gotta tell ya though - as a kid playing in fallout, I didn't find the blaise reaction of the adults around me all the reassuring. I'm not sure I find it any more reassuring as an adult.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jlafleur02

I'm not on the coast. I'm on the east side of the Rockies. I don't have a Geiger counter.

I do however have a NukAlert. Had the battery replaced just over a year ago. Not the same thing. Not as sensitive. Not even necessarily applicable in this sort of circumstance.

If it chirps in the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know.

(out of curiosity - does the possession of such a device and a stash of iodine pills and bottles qualify me as being just a wee bit paranoid? I haven't any cesium blue though....yet. Though I do have several bottles of blue-green algae and whey protein around. I totally admit to being a child of my youth. )
edit on 2011/3/13 by Aeons because: filling in the crazy

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join