It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation tracking on the west coast. Volunteers needed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I am starting this thread to track the radiation, if any that would come to the west coast. Heres what I need.

1. A timeline that tracks the movement of possible radiation using the jet stream.( i am not a weather man)

2. People on the west coast who have a gieger counter(army/navy store?), or a measurement device that measures radiation.(if anyone knows about this please give some help as to what the right device is)give location and all data.

3. Take readings now to form a baseline and then every 15 minutes or so and see if there is a rise that cooresponds with the timeline created earlier.

This would be the best way to know if radiation is going to affect us. Lets not speculate what the news is telling us and find out for ourselves.
edit on 12-3-2011 by jlafleur02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Here's the Jet Stream forecast
www.stormsurfing.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

I am not a weatherman. I don't know how to read the chart. We need a time that the radiation would arrive on the west coast if it is there at all. Not saying it is coming, but we would get first hand information if its anything to worry about.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
It shows that jet streams from Japan will reach us in approx 40-80 hours. ITs really easy to read, just follow the flow and look at the thing that says + "x number of hours"

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

The balloons weren't designed to navigate themselves and that's part of the wonder of this Japans offensive. The ballons would rise to the sky, from the beaches of Japan, and follow the Jet Stream all the way to the United States.

From the time the balloons were launched, it would take 3-4 days to reach the United States. About 1,000 of the more than 9,000 balloons actually reached the United States or Canada. The rest are believed to have failed during their journey, falling into the ocean.

From japaneseballoonbombs.com

So just setting balloons off from the east coast of Japan, it took balloons only 3 to 4 days to reach Oregon.

If there is a major radiation leak, it will come straight to the west coats if the current jet stream current remains the same.

We need citizens on this because I agree that the media is not going to be trustable on this issue.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Also would like to have someone who knows about radiation and its effects to look at any data collected. They would need to tell us if the levels are dangerous or nothing to worry about.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
When Chinobal in Russia went into meltdown - the whole of the North West Coast of the UK was contaminated for years - I remember the sheep in that area weren't allowed to be used in the food chain for a long time.

There was also a lot of Cancers in the area too and I remember people used to blaim the Power Plant that was situated on that same coast - can't remember the name of the plant but it was over in the Lake District and the residents were always protesting with the proof they had which was being denied.

Others in the UK may remember more than I.

So expect similar sinario - you're right to be concerned.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlafleur02
Also would like to have someone who knows about radiation and its effects to look at any data collected. They would need to tell us if the levels are dangerous or nothing to worry about.

www.blackcatsystems.com...
www.geigercounters.com...
web.mit.edu...

A few sites on acceptable radiation levels and the danger they pose to humans.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
When Chinobal in Russia went into meltdown - the whole of the North West Coast of the UK was contaminated for years - I remember the sheep in that area weren't allowed to be used in the food chain for a long time.

There was also a lot of Cancers in the area too and I remember people used to blaim the Power Plant that was situated on that same coast - can't remember the name of the plant but it was over in the Lake District and the residents were always protesting with the proof they had which was being denied.

Others in the UK may remember more than I.

So expect similar sinario - you're right to be concerned.

Why would they tell us. It would cause a panic. Look at the news coming out of japan. They said, at first , there was no risk of explosion. Then the explosion happened. Now the're not sure what blew up maybe hydrogen gas that leaked from the core from water being broken up. but they are not sure if the core has breached. If there is hydrogen that came from the core that caused the explosion then the core is breached. Really can't make heads or tails of what they are saying on the news. I know they are not going to tell us either.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I am on the east coast and I offer my life to help others know what if anything is there. So please PM me if you have a spare Geiger Counter and want to have video and A web presence. I am your humble ID10T but for the greater good.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I guess that geiger counters arn't too common. If you can do this We might get some actual information rather than speculation. I it turns out that our findings are different from what is being told then we can launch the conspiracy end of it. One that would have some credability

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm in Seattle. I'm not sure where to find a geiger counter locally, and looking online they are rather expensive. Of course if I find or get one I'll post here. Also, if I notice anything unusual in the area I'll speak up as well.

This last couple of days has been too much to absorb. When trying to get some sleep, even my dreams were doing news updates! ...sigh....cries...
edit on 12-3-2011 by onthelookout because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The US Air Force is already sniffing the air.
Question is, will they share the info?
The clue will be if they start issuing iodine and moving personal out of the area.
Now if you excuse me, I have some medicine to take before pre-flight.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
For Geiger Counters, this is the one I carry out in my Bug Out Bag.
www.imagesco.com...
Although, some members have this one.
www.nukalert.com...
Living here in Lancaster CA, I always carry B.O.B. in my truck.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Violater1 because: My pen-na crushed your karma

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlafleur02
I am starting this thread to track the radiation, if any that would come to the west coast. Heres what I need.

1. A timeline that tracks the movement of possible radiation using the jet stream.( i am not a weather man)

2. People on the west coast who have a gieger counter(army/navy store?), or a measurement device that measures radiation.(if anyone knows about this please give some help as to what the right device is)give location and all data.

3. Take readings now to form a baseline and then every 15 minutes or so and see if there is a rise that cooresponds with the timeline created earlier.

This would be the best way to know if radiation is going to affect us. Lets not speculate what the news is telling us and find out for ourselves.

If you pay for me to come to the west coast and feed me I'll do anything you want.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I truly hope this is unnecessary information, but I'd rather be informed than not.

Here are the initial signs and symptoms of radiation sickness SOURCE:

Radiation sickness is generally associated with acute (a single large) exposure.[4][5] Nausea and vomiting are usually the main symptoms.[5] The amount of time between exposure to radiation and the onset of the initial symptoms may be an indicator of how much radiation was absorbed,[5] as symptoms appear sooner with higher doses of exposure.[6] The symptoms of radiation sickness become more serious (and the chance of survival decreases) as the dosage of radiation increases. A few symptom-free days may pass between the appearance of the initial symptoms and the onset of symptoms of more severe illness associated with higher doses of radiation. Nausea and vomiting generally occur within 24–48 hours after exposure to mild (1–2 Sv) doses of radiation. Radiation damage to the intestinal tract lining will cause nausea, bloody vomiting and diarrhea.

Also, how to protect yourself during a radiation emergency SOURCE:

If you are advised to shelter in place, you should do the following:
◦Close and lock all doors and windows.
◦Turn off fans, air conditioners, and forced-air heating units that bring in fresh air from the outside. Only use units to recirculate air that is already in the building.
◦Close fireplace dampers.
◦If possible, bring pets inside.
◦Move to an inner room or basement.
◦Keep your radio tuned to the emergency response network or local news to find out what else you need to do.

edit on 12-3-2011 by onthelookout because: Add additional info

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I just got back from the stores in my quest to try and find potassium iodide. For the eastside area of the Seattle Metropolis, it's pretty scarce now. The first vitamin store I went into said that this was the 2nd day of people coming in and asking for it and of course they were completely out of it. He said, "This is crazy, nothing's even happened yet." in a kind of please tell me there's nothing to worry about kind of tone. I said, "Well, by the time something has happened, it's too late to try and run to the stores and get something."

So he showed me where there was some Kelp (Raw Herb - North Atlantic Kelp) which has naturally occurring iodine (300 mcg/capsule). I have NO idea if that's any help, but it's more iodine than I had before. He put a bottle off to the side for himself, he said too many people had come in and now it was starting to concern him.

Anyways, so that's the "temperature" of this area as far as how many people are taking this seriously. People were already coming in yesterday looking for it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Can salt be used if you dont have access to potassium iodide or kelp?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadwalkk
Can salt be used if you dont have access to potassium iodide or kelp?

No. Only iodine and here is why:

The greatest risk from radiation release following a nuclear power plant accident or detonation of a nuclear weapon is from iodine131. This isotope of iodine is one of the products of uranium fission. The problem is that this isotope of iodine is concentrated by the body in one spot: the thyroid. Thus, the thyroid gets a much heavier radiation dose than any other part of the body. In the years following the 1986 Chernobyl accident, thyroid cancer is the only cancer to have seen a significantly increased incidence, and the increase in thyroid cancer there is huge. The World Health Organization estimates that a third of the children in parts of Belarus will develop thyroid cancer.

However, the thyroid takes only as much iodine as it can use. By consuming iodine-containing tablets for the days following radiation release during which exposure is greatest, the thyroid is saturated and will not take up much of the radioactive iodine131.

The half life of iodine131 is only eight days, so the time one needs protection is limited. In most cases I can imagine, withing a few days either wind would have dispersed the radioactive material or we would have evacuated.

Events that would trigger the need for potassium iodide are quite unlikely, but so are many events that we insure against. I see potassium iodide as an insurance policy against the unlikely event of a nuclear weapon detonation or a reactor accident.

Source: www.wfu.edu...

Radiation gets absorbed through the thyroid. However, your thyroid gland will only absorb so much. Hence, dosing yourself with iodine -- in the proper amounts -- prevents your thyroid from absorbing the iodine found in nuclear fallout.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
anyone figure out anything yet? im hearing diffent things on the news all contradicting them selfs so got my tvs shut off now and just using this and the web to get new info.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join