It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Jet Stream North America

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

The plant exploded and had a fire and survived a 9.1 earth quake. The core kept going. If it's not melt down now, it won't be. They're pouring sea water on it now, and that stuff holds a lot of heat. It will not end in tears this time.

reply to post by Section69

That's no matter. japan built it and planned the infrastructure. They're good at that. see above.
edit on 13-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Here's the latest jet stream map image from squall.sfsu.edu...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b05adb53f78a.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
There are a number of menu items to choose from at the above cited website. Here are two screen shots showing the main menu items:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c50ace718fdb.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b79b5d7364da.jpg[/atsimg]
squall.sfsu.edu...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

www.radiationnetwork.com...

interactive map of all the geiger counters in the US with live feeds.

I've taken some screen shots so I can compare the data day by day. We'll see if this thread has any substance to it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DABIGRAGU

Anything under 100 Rs is considered nothing more than space radiation which we get hit with everyday.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
just saw an update that there was an explosion at nuke plant and anohter tsunami warning but iam wondering to will the radiation be strong enough to hit the west coast and if it does then what?will the whole coast be shut down or evacuated?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mindonfire76

Japan Tsunami And Nuclear Alert - Live Coverage
Nuclear Officials Confirm Hydrogen Explosion At Unit 3 Of Fukushima Dai-ichi Plant

www.guardian.co.uk...

There has been a second blast at the Fukushima No 1 nuclear plant. Television footage suggests the outer building of the third reactor has been blown away – as in the first blast – but officials believe the reactor container remains intact and says there is little prospect of a significant release of radioactive material. Officials warned yesterday that there might be another hydrogen explosion.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mindonfire76

Not as of now, but an explosion means the situation is not under control, and if it gets worse then we may be in dnager

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Someone just started this thread:

If You Have A Geiger Counter, Start Taking Readings (If You Live On The West Coast Of US And Canada)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Unbelievable that most of the posters to that thread are ridiculing the situation. This is actually very serious. Anyone on the west coast with Geiger counter? Let's get to it.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
www.straitstimes.com...

WASHINGTON - THE crew of the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan, on a humanitarian mission to Japan, received a month's worth of radiation in about an hour, The New York Times reported.

Citing unnamed government officials, the newspaper said the ship passed through a radioactive cloud from damaged nuclear reactors in Japan when it approached the country on its humanitarian mission.

Japan has been battling to control two overheating reactors at the ageing Fukushima plant after the cooling systems were knocked out by Friday's 8.9-magnitude quake and the resulting tsunami that swallowed up whole towns.

A new explosion at the plant hit the country on Monday as experts raced to avert a catastrophic meltdown in the wake of the quake and tsunami.

US helicopters flying missions about 96km north of the damaged reactors became coated with radioactive dust that had to be washed off, the report said.

There was no indication that any of the military personnel had experienced ill effects from the exposure, the paper said. But the episodes showed that the prevailing winds were picking up radioactive material from crippled reactors in north-eastern Japan, The Times noted. -- AFP

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Is there any reason for supposing any leaking radiation will reach the jet stream? I'd be more concerned about surface winds

And wasn't there more risk to the US from fallout from the Los Alamos explosions? Which actually occurred in the USA?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by lektrofellon
reply to post by byteshertz

reply to post by bjsmi2

I gotta say the Japs deserved the two nukes we dropped on them in 1945,but they definitely dont deserve this one!
edit on 12/3/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

Nobody anywhere deserves a nuke dropped on them. Period!!

Your post should have been removed for being highly offensive!

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Tacoma area here and access to a geiger counter. I'll be monitoring the situation as frequently as I can.

But, to be perfectly frank with you, I'm not sure why. I'm not at all convinced that this will have any effect on the pacific northwest other than economically.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sechmet

You have a good memory. Part of the problem at the time was the secrecy in what is now the former Soviet Union. So we had to rely on second hand detection from democracies in Western Europe of a rise in radiation levels before we knew for sure that a catastrophic release of radiation had occured from Chernobyl.

This time? I think we will get more information faster from the Japanese if the reactors are compromised and meltdown occurs. But the situation may be hampered by a number of factors. We have several compromised reactors, we have a degraded infrastructure after the earthquake and tsunami, and culturally the Japanese hate to be the bearers of bad news which might lead to stalling or delays in announcing the worst (I may be wrong).

If the winds blow south, expect mass panic in Tokyo.

If they blow east, with the prevailing jet stream then expect panic in Hawaii and the West Coast US.

And if the timescales are correct, then timely announcements will be essential to get people to safety, as we will be talking a matter of hours at least, and days at most.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Accuweather is now indicating trade winds to carry radiation to U.S. West coast.

Winds at Japan Power Plants Should Send Radiation out to Sea

Calculated time for radioactive particles to cross the Pacific from the power plants in Japan to big West Coast cities if the particles take a direct path and move at a speed of 20 mph:

Cities Approx. Distance (miles) Approx. Time to Cross Pacific (days)

Anchorage - 3,457 miles 7days
Honolulu - 3,847 miles 8 days
Seattle - 4,792 miles 10 days
Los Angeles - 5,477 miles 11 days

edit on 14-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Good be worse. Imagine if a nuclear explosion had occurred on, say, the Bimini atoll - much, much closer to the US. You'd have had only days at most to evacuate .......

Oh, wait ........

And for the record, 3 weeks after Chernobyl I was drinking water straight out of streams in the Lake District, one of the areas supposedly worst affected by radiative fallout in Britain. And no harm at all.

Just means these days it's easy to find me in the dark!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Latest Jet Stream Update:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8002a3c27384.jpg[/atsimg]
squall.sfsu.edu...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The rest of the world:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c025ff5d1567.jpg[/atsimg]
squall.sfsu.edu...
edit on 3/16/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelinside451
reply to post by DABIGRAGU

Anything under 100 Rs is considered nothing more than space radiation which we get hit with everyday.

What do you mean by "Rs"? Background radiation is measured in millisieverts, not "Rs". The normal dose is about 2.4 millisieverts/year. www.unscear.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join