It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet; shifted Earth's axis

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
physics. consider these points:

1. before we started screwing with the water systems on our planet, the earth was more or less balanced (at least more so than it is now)
2. When we displace water from the aquifer, build dams, displace oil (think about the volume and mass of the oil that was moved in the gulf disaster) we create patches of what are essentially light and heavier areas on the earth.
3. The moon's gravitational force used to have a balancing effect on the earths rotation, without the moon the earth (already slightly out of balance) would cease to rotate in the 23.5degree pattern that we have become used to.
4. Consider a basketball spinning on top of someone's finger. If i place pieces of gum around the ball at random points and shell out others, it will be impossible to keep the basketball balanced, the ball would start wobbling (like how we experience seasons) and it would fall
5. the earths core wants to rotate in 'predictable' pattern, when we start knocking the earth off balance it'll cause friction, because while the crust is wobbling the core will remain rotating in it's consistent pattern.

Conclusion: we have knocked the earth off of balance, the friction that is beginning to form between the core and the crust is going to cause earthquakes, tsunami's, whatever, hopefully, the moons gravitational influence on earth will remain strong enough to prevent the earth from gaining a bigger and bigger 'wobble' each year. If the earth does gain a bigger and bigger wobble, well, that's pretty much the end of us; seasons would be insane, earthquakes, probably volcanos. and if anything could fulfill Hapgood's pole-shift theory; its lack of balance.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by FoxfilesMulder

Did you just make all that up...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

imagine a ball. stick a wire through the middle of the ball. spin in.
this is like the earth on it's axis.
axis shift means the spin is slightly different.
this will have an inconsequential effect on sunlight/day length (I'm no expert).
as far as I know no other effects but even the slightest change on a planetary scale takes a humongous amount of energy/force.
think how much trouble it would be to move your house six inches. the view won't be much different but it would take a lot of work.
(unless you have alien anti-gravity technology the rest of us don't know about.)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

That has been confirmed on Sky news,Japan has shifted as a result of the Earthquake, they are reporting this as I type on here.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CIGGSofWAR

Isn't that just splitting hairs?

Have we forgotten already ATS?
The last Chilean Earthquake also had an effect. Chile quake shifted Earth axis to shorten length of a day, says NASA . So now how will these two combined effect us years to come?

Stay tuned people.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
Is here any or does anyone have anymore information on the Rupture in the Earths crust which has occured as a resultof this Earthquake?

And is there anyone in ATS,whom have heard of this happening before, and what are the concequences of this happening and what effects is this going to have on the Planet as a whole.

There is a little more info on that, in another thread HERE Where another member also provided more information on the axis shift that is different ffrom what is posted but seems to come from the same source, that being the INGV

Montreal Gazette

Initial results out of Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology show that the 8.9-magnitude earthquake that rattled Japan Friday shifted the earth's rotation axis by about 25 centimetres.
INGV's report, which came hours after the devastating incident, is equivalent to "very, very tiny" changes that won't be seen for centuries, though, Canadian geologists say.

Going to the INGV's website i was still unable to find any of that information even with google translate, if anyone can find it there could you please post, i am also still looking for other sources but everyone i find is quoting this agency.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxfilesMulder
The powers that be are causing the earthquakes to intentionally shift the magnetic poles.

Currently they have the technology for anti gravity etc but the anti gravity crafts do not work as they are supposed to while in flight close to the earth.

The only way to correct the problem is to shift the poles into a pre planned position and soon afterwards they will have total control over the world and all its countries through full control of global air space.

You know this how exactly?

Those are pretty sensational claims...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow329

4. Consider a basketball spinning on top of someone's finger. If i place pieces of gum around the ball at random points and shell out others, it will be impossible to keep the basketball balanced, the ball would start wobbling (like how we experience seasons) and it would fall

Except that the Earth is not made of polymer plastic so it is nothing like a basketball.

I don't understand how having 'gum on the basketball' provides us with seasons. (or did I read that wrong). We have season because the Earth has an axis, so it is tilted in relation to the Sun and the seasons depend on where the Earth is (which point of the Earth you are in) related to the yearly orbit.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Seems like it's a rather small shift

10 centimetres is equal to 10 / 2.54 = 3.94 inches.

wiki.answers.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Isn't that just splitting hairs?

Have we forgotten already ATS?
The last Chilean Earthquake also had an effect. Chile quake shifted Earth axis to shorten length of a day, says NASA . So now how will these two combined effect us years to come?

Stay tuned people.

"And except those days should be shortened, "

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
^
Thankyou, I couldn't let that slip. It's just under 4 inches.

It seems that if this has occured it is such a minute move it doesn't really register, same with the Chile quake.
As a backyard astronomer neither event caused any noticeable change to equiptment that relies heavily on accurate polar alignments, no adjustments had to be made. Sure I'm only a novice but I can tell you the serious astrophoto guys would be screaming all about it if it caused any major changes.
I'm not saying there was no movement, just it is very minute and a seemingly familiar occurance after big quakes.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
The effect of even a minor shift in the physical axis of the Earth will mean that sunlight will reach the earth ever so slightly differently, and that will have a big effect on weather patterns over time and possible climatic implications.

BTW, in the book of Revelation in the Bible it talks about the length of a day changing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Here's the scripture I was referring to. It talks about a third of the day and the night.

From the book of Revelation (Bible)

Rev 8:12 When the fourth angel blew his trumpet, one-third of the sun, one-third of the moon, and one-third of the stars were struck so that one-third of them turned dark. One-third of the day was kept from shining, and also the night

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
A single major Earthquake can shift the earth on it's axis, but Pole Shift theories from the likes of Charles Hapgood are total bunk because....

Ok that may be well and good. I have to say though I have seen this information flash on the screen while watching CNN.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Now thats outside of the box thinking.....i totally think that is more likey....the earth shift was expressed in the earthquake in Japan....the quake did not cause the earth....other way around is much more likey. Vibrations and energy levels are increasing and stressing the earth within the galaxy....its like us eating too much and we experience indigestion...the indigestion does not occur without eating too much....

IMHO of course....

edit on 12-3-2011 by Drala because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valendian
the next major shift will take place on march 15th --!! prepare

We will expect you here apologizing for spreading false information and fear-mongering to get attention when this fails to happen. See you here then?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Is it 4 inches or 10 inches? I read 4 inches this morning but
Fox News just clearly said the earth shifted 10 inches.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Maybe the poles shifted first and caused the earthquake..

Just putting it out there...

This is the kind of stuff that makes people laugh whenever they hear pole shift. In order for a magnetic reversal -- which is the Hapgood Pole Shift Theory -- the entire Earth has to stop rotating and begin again in the other direction. Hence the whole north-south reversal part.

There is no way for a pole shift to take place without anyone knowing. It would probably destroy 80 - 90 % of the population.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by minnow329

The Earth is not a solid and acts as a fluid. You have completely forgotten to factor that in. The impact you imply makes no sense.

The Crust has been being redistributed constantly at a far greater level than man could even approach with normal activities. For instance the Mississippi Delta. As the forces build up from the deposition of material on the Delta, those forces are counteracted by changes elsewhere over time, due to the dynamics of the Earths fluid nature. Geology 101 or perhaps H.S. Earth Science if your Teacher was any good and you paid attention at all.

That is why Japan moved by 8 feet as the forces are naturally compensated for. For every action a reaction until equilibrium is reached.

To suggest that earthquakes are a new phenomena caused by man is a level beyond where any critical thinking is being used. Yes you might have localized effects from some activities but on a global scale they would be meaningless. The Earth is actually becoming slowly less active over time and mans meager movement of materials pales in comparison to the redistribution by natural forces. Combine all redistribution by man in our history and it would not even equal a speck on the mountain range of materials moved monthly by forces like ice, water, wind and gravity.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
The effect of even a minor shift in the physical axis of the Earth will mean that sunlight will reach the earth ever so slightly differently, and that will have a big effect on weather patterns over time and possible climatic implications.

BTW, in the book of Revelation in the Bible it talks about the length of a day changing.

something that experts say will lead to the shortening of the day by 1.6 microseconds, or just over a millionth of a second.

Yes, please tell me which part of the bible it says the days are shortening by microseconds?

Absolute crap in threads like this. Bona-fide excrement. The amount of bad information is equal to all the sewage in the USA.

Please explain how a millionth of a second is going to have a 'big effect' on weather patterns...

source
edit on 12-3-2011 by boncho because: source

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join