It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake ripped a 150 x50 mile long tear in Earth's crust ! What does this mean ??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I did a search and don't think this has been posted yet but has been mentioned in various threads.

The Quake has caused a 150 mile long by 50 mile wide tear in the Earth's crust. None of the articles I've found so far on the web explain the exact location, mention the depth, or discuss the possible repercussions. A FB contact who was watching someone on the BBC news being interviewed late last night said that the person confirmed this has happened, but when asked what the repercussions might be, the guy totally dodged the question and just said they were monitoring everything.

Quake tore massive gash in Earth's crust

I am posting this in a stand alone thread as it seems to be a very significant event, and you'd assume that it has ramifications, but what ? I'm hoping someone on here has some understanding of phenomena like this and can posthulate what it might mean. I will google around later to see if there is a precedant but meanwhile maybe some of you here might know some more.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Those dimensions are correct but do not visualize them as being a "tear" in the crust from within which molten magma from the mantle may now issue unimpeded. This is not the case. Look up "subduction" and there you will find the true picture of what has happened.

edit on 12-3-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I remember someone on CNN talking about how it made a massive depression in the sea floor which caused the tsunami to be so massive.

Anyways, 150X50 mile gash seems pretty scary because, that will probably break and chip away over time and make more potential threats.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I don't know anything about this but I want to bump it so other members can see it and possibly give more information.

That sounds like a big tear but I don't know anything about this stuff.

top topics

join