It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eruption at Kilauea Volcano

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Just thought I would put this out here as things seem to be coming to life all around. Could the Japan quake possibly of triggered this as well?

New and exciting developments on the Big Island, there's been another eruption at Kilauea Volcano. A geologist first spotted this eruption just after 5:00 p.m. Saturday while flying over a remote area about 10 miles east of Jagger Museum. The lava coming out a of new fissure or volcanic vent that measures more than five times the length of a football field with lava shooting up to 65 feet in the air. Scientists at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory already knew something was up when an alarm sounded in the afternoon, alerting them that Pu'u 'O'o Crater was deflating. Soon after that, the crater floor began to collapse. "As a volcanologist this is what we do. These are the moments we wait for," said Janet Babb of the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. "It is exciting to see an eruption begin particularly if you can see it from the very very start... this is in an area between Pu'u 'O'o and Napau Crater. It's on the middle part of Kilauea's east rift zone. It's located within Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and there are no structures nearby." This new fissure eruption is considered to be a new episode in the ongoing eruption of Kilauea which began in 1983. Geologists are hiking into the area to take measurements and collect samples. Because of this new fissure eruption, the park has closed the chain of craters road and all east rift zone and coastal trails until further notice.

Link

Link with more Details
edit on 12-3-2011 by onehuman because: added link

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

I read earlier today that the 2nd largest quake in Japan was an 8.6 in 1707 and that it is widely suspected that it triggered the eruption of Mt. Fuji 49 days later...so I guess it's possible - at least there appears to be a precedent

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Wow. That makes 3 eruptions today. These are the times i wish i could just stick my head in the sand. This is very depressing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Chindogu

What were the other 2? I've been at work and unable to keep up with the going-ons...

new topics

top topics

join