It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMERGENCY! report from TWITTER - Nuclear power plant - attempts to save plant STOPPED

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

I was listening to Michael Savage on my way home from work (I know...I know) and he had a lady doctor who worked in the nuclear industry for decades on as a guest.....and she is warning that the reports of harmless radioactivity are false...and that if you are on the West Coast of America you had better prepare yourself immediately.

If a reactor in the US blows up, well yes.

If she's referring to the reactors in Japan, she's putting out disinformation.
edit on 14-3-2011 by XtraTL because: (no reason given)

SMR

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Good illustration of what is going on shown on front page of CNN

Video link

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
BBC World Service and BBC News 24 (UK) are reporting that there has been a second explosion at reactor #1, and that reactor #2 has exploded, bringing the total number of reactors destroyed to 3.

As for it NOT being a Chernobyl - whatever.
So there is no apparent post-explosion fire but that doesn't change the fact that the BLOODY REACTOR EXPLODED!

If you really think just the secondary containment exploded you are quite nieve.

They WERE stopping people getting within 60 km of the site, despite the fact that the official exclusion zone was only 20 km, and they have set up monitoring stations checking people for radiation 65 km away from the station.

THEY ARE LYING TO YOU!

I am thankful the winds are blowing E/NE at the moment, so at least it isn't in the direction of people.

By the way - radiation is 4000 times normal background outside the plant - is that high enough for you?!
edit on 14-3-2011 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

SMR

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Lighten up, Francis ...

Relax. Your blood pressure is going to sky rocket if you keep getting all jacked up like that.
If you think they have had a complete meltdown, than why are there still personnel at the reactors ?
Would it not be in the best interest of those people to just say "screw this, I'm outta her!" ?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
BBC World Service and BBC News 24 (UK) are reporting that there has been a second explosion at reactor #1, and that reactor #2 has exploded, bringing the total number of reactors destroyed to 3.

As for it NOT being a Chernobyl - whatever.
So there is no apparent post-explosion fire but that doesn't change the fact that the BLOODY REACTOR EXPLODED!

If you really think just the secondary containment exploded you are quite nieve.

They WERE stopping people getting within 60 km of the site, despite the fact that the official exclusion zone was only 20 km, and they have set up monitoring stations checking people for radiation 65 km away from the station.

THEY ARE LYING TO YOU!

I am thankful the winds are blowing E/NE at the moment, so at least it isn't in the direction of people.

By the way - radiation is 4000 times normal background outside the plant - is that high enough for you?!

1. Report about reactor #1 is more than 24 hours out-of-date.

2. The explosion is not the same kind of explosion as occurred at Chernobyl.

3. What do you mean "just the secondary containment exploded". (BTW it's "naive", not "nieve". The latter means "handful".) If that happens it is a very serious incident.

4. Japanese Meteorological Agency is reporting the wind is blowing south.

5. 4000x background high enough? No.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

1) Maybe so but they are reporting it as current. Thanks for the heads-up. Do be aware that it is a SECOND explosion in reactor #1, that has occurred SINCE the first explosion that destroyed the secondary containment.

2) Uhh - why?

3a) See my answer to #2, then think about it. To help you out, you have from inside to outside: the pressure vessel containing the water that usually cools the core and drives the turbines. Next you have the primary containment. Around that you have the big building you can see from the road and in all the TV footage - that is the secondary containment.

If you want to know more, Google "BWR", and also look generally for anything pertaining to reactor design. I spent years researching Chernobyl, and whilst I'm not a nuclear scientist, I do know what I'm talking about.

3b) Actually the spelling is "nïeve" but let's not split hairs. My incorrect usage is from seeing incorrect usage in plenty of text books. Thanks for the correction.

4) Not what was reported an hour ago on BBC News 24 from the UK Met Office.

5) HUH?!

Regarding workers at the plant - there isn't anyone - they have all been evacuated "except for a handful that are monitoring the site". That is from the Japanese nuclear authority themselves, for what it is worth.

I'm trying to find sources.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

I feel sorry for the Japanese, I really do. Their Japan News just reported the radiation levels outside the reactor were 8 times higher than a human can be safely exposed to in one year.

This is completely and utterly false!

Their media is actually worse than ours. I didn't think it was possible, but it is.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by XtraTL
reply to post by XtraTL

I feel sorry for the Japanese, I really do. Their Japan News just reported the radiation levels outside the reactor were 8 times higher than a human can be safely exposed to in one year.

This is completely and utterly false!

Their media is actually worse than ours. I didn't think it was possible, but it is.

The Japanese have a history of lying about and covering up serious nuclear incidents/accidents.

14th Mar 2011: www.guardian.co.uk...

Monju Leaked Video #1 (Wikileaks): www.wikileaks.ch...

Monju Leaked Video #3 (Wikileaks): www.wikileaks.ch...

Be in no doubt this is far worse than they are reporting. When I equate it to Chernobyl it is not just the level of destruction/radiation release I am talking about.

SMR

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Regarding workers at the plant - there isn't anyone - they have all been evacuated "except for a handful that are monitoring the site"

You know what "Contradict" means ?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SMR

Regarding workers at the plant - there isn't anyone - they have all been evacuated "except for a handful that are monitoring the site"

You know what "Contradict" means ?

Reported on BBC News 24 - they showed the Japanese nuclear guy saying it (with audio). That is conclusive enough for me.

To answer your question, yes I do. To clarify my comment, no-one is managing the reactors - they are simply on site to take measurements and report damage. No-one at this time is actually doing anything with the reactors - they are on their own.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Sky News showed some footage after the explosion of Reactor #3 that was taken from a helicopter. It clearly shows the destruction of reactor #3, and it is evident that there is little left of anything inside the building.

I'm trying to find the source of the footage in the hopes that it is online. It clearly shows that the explosions are not the secondary containment, but the reactor itself, leading to wholesale destruction of the reactor.

EDIT: www.youtube.com...

It was clearer on the TV but oyu can see through the debris lower down the building that in this footage. It is obvious the top of the reactor at least is no more (and I strongly suspect this is what can be seen falling out of the cloud shortly after it exploded).

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

reply to post by XtraTL

1) Maybe so but they are reporting it as current. Thanks for the heads-up. Do be aware that it is a SECOND explosion in reactor #1, that has occurred SINCE the first explosion that destroyed the secondary containment.

I don't think this is correct. I think they are getting confused between "power plant number 1" and "reactor number 1".

2) Uhh - why?

Read previous posts in this thread. It's been done to death.

3a) See my answer to #2, then think about it. To help you out, you have from inside to outside: the pressure vessel containing the water that usually cools the core and drives the turbines. Next you have the primary containment. Around that you have the big building you can see from the road and in all the TV footage - that is the secondary containment.

The primary containment is the zirconium cladding on the fuel pellets. The secondary containment is the steel reactor vessel. The tertiary containment is the concrete in which the supression pool sits.

The building cover is there to keep the rain out. It's not a part of the containment of a nuclear reactor (though it may collect gas).

If you want to know more, Google "BWR", and also look generally for anything pertaining to reactor design. I spent years researching Chernobyl, and whilst I'm not a nuclear scientist, I do know what I'm talking about.

Here is the reactor at Fukushima:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BWR_Mark_I_Containment,_diagram.png

You were saying?

3b) Actually the spelling is "nïeve" but let's not split hairs. My incorrect usage is from seeing incorrect usage in plenty of text books. Thanks for the correction.

Did you mean Naïve? I'm happy to split hairs.

4) Not what was reported an hour ago on BBC News 24 from the UK Met Office.

Nor what was reported by NHK World. The reading however was taken at a different location.

5) HUH?!

The radiation levels after Chernobyl were MUCH higher, as I explained.

Regarding workers at the plant - there isn't anyone - they have all been evacuated "except for a handful that are monitoring the site". That is from the Japanese nuclear authority themselves, for what it is worth.

Where "handful" here is 50 (I haven't been able to confirm this, but it was given as an answer to a press question by a reporter about this explicit question, namely how many people remain on-site).

I'm trying to find sources.

Please do. I could be wrong, and given the amount of misinformation, anything is possible. I personally can't believe that the Japanese media and government and large corporations keep their population in such utter ignorance. The frustration of the reporters trying to get information at the press conferences was palpable.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Sky News showed some footage after the explosion of Reactor #3 that was taken from a helicopter. It clearly shows the destruction of reactor #3, and it is evident that there is little left of anything inside the building.

I'm trying to find the source of the footage in the hopes that it is online. It clearly shows that the explosions are not the secondary containment, but the reactor itself, leading to wholesale destruction of the reactor.

Oh for goodness sake, how long is this going to go on!?

The containment vessel of reactor number 3 is fully intact. It is the reactor number 2 which is causing such great concern.

Yes, the building of number 3 looks TERRIBLE. That doesn't change the facts. The building number 2 looks unharmed. That doesn't changed the facts either.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

The building number 2 looks unharmed. That doesn't changed the facts either.

What has #2 got to do with it? Video of #3 is proving that what they are reporting is false! There is no intact reactor or primary containment in the building!

Here is where I get my naming convention from:

* The pressure vessel contains the core, fuel rods, etc.. - this is "the pressure vessel".

* The primary containment (at least in UK plants) is the first concrete structure around the pressure vessel. It is also referred to as the biological shield.

* The secondary containment is the big building "to keep the rain out". It is even referred to as such when discussing Chernobyl and the release of radiation into the atmosphere. All western plants have secondary containment. It is regularly argued that had Chernobyl had secondary containment it would have been fine, and that western plants can't "do a Chernobyl" because of this building and their overall design - something Japan just proved extremely wrong.

You are correct - the secondary containment is to contain gases if necessary (e.g. TMI). They are hermetically sealed and can be pressurized if required during venting. It is the last line of defense before the outside world. They should not leak, and are regularly leak-tested.

I hope that clarifies.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

More disinfo to come. The Prime Minister of Japan is going to address the nation.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

For goodness sake, look it up man.

Number 2 reactor has had an explosion *INSIDE* the reactor and possibly breaching containment.

SMR

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
All 3 are on verge of complete meltdown, CNN is reporting. Saying all containment vessels are breached.
This is what Anderson Cooper just said. Waiting to see if anything comes online about that.
Half the control rods were exposed at #2 reactor.
edit on 3/14/2011 by SMR because: for becuz

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by XtraTL

Now there is an evacuation to 10km from number 2 PLANT. Not reactor, PLANT.

People up to 30km from reactor number 2 at number 1 plant are being asked to remain indoors.

The Japanese Govt. have asked the Japanese people to act calmly. Watch the stock market now.

Here we go:

Number 4 reactor: is on fire. There has been a hydrogen explosion there. There has been an implosion. Radiation is being released into the environment.

Number 2 reactor: there was a blast 30 minutes after number 4's explosion. A hole has been observed in the reactor. Radioactive material has been released to the environment.

At 10:22am between reactor 2 and 3, 30milliSievert and at reactor 4 100 milliSievert. At reactor 3 the reading was 400 MILLI Sieverts. Note MILLI, not micro, and this is confirmed information, also known as fact.

In case anyone is wondering. Yes, this is very bad.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Explosion rocks third Japanese reactor Sources tell NBC News the blast breached the container; radiation leaking

www.msnbc.msn.com...

SMR

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
How many PLANTS are having problems ?
Which PLANT is having the worst ?
============================================

Japan's prime minister: Risk of further release of radioactive material from nuclear power plant remains "very high."

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join