It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMERGENCY! report from TWITTER - Nuclear power plant - attempts to save plant STOPPED

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
He seems to know his stuff.
But still, the whole amount of information we are getting around the nuclear desaster in Japan is confusing and I have learned, if it stays confusing, somebody is confusing it on purpose. Maybe we have to wait for first measurments from California to find out, what kind of isotopes are underway. According to that guy, the radioactivity released out of the "pressure coocker" of that japanes nuclear plant orginated from very short living isotopes with a half life of just a couple of seconds, so he says, its true that radioactivity was released, but it wasnt dangerous for very long. I wonder, why the distribute Iodine tablets then?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Last night on Atlanta local news, nuclear professor from GA TECH was saying the same sort of thing- it would melt in the ground and could NOT be like Chernobyl.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1FutureMarine1
If the nuclear plants were to "go" as in explode, what exactly will happen? I have also heard that most of the plants are extremely close to each other, what will happen to them?

It is too late for "if" - No. 1 has already exploded, and that is exactly how they will go when they go. There will not be a big mushroom cloud or anything like that - the explosions will not be nuclear.

They are not telling the truth about the No. 1 reactor. The only plausible scenario is a partial meltdown followed by explosion of the reactor. They were only lucky in that there didn't appear to be a post-explosion fire.

Immediately prior to explosion of No. 1 reactor they lost the cooling pumps to the reactor. Coolant got stuck in the reactor, boiled, over-pressurized, split the water into hydrogen/oxygen, and ultimately exploded. It is why they are now flooding it with sea water.
edit on 13-3-2011 by mirageofdeceit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Last night on Atlanta local news, nuclear professor from GA TECH was saying the same sort of thing- it would melt in the ground and could NOT be like Chernobyl.

Chernobyl was an explosion followed by intense fire of the graphite moderator. The explosion sent parts of the core into the air, and this ended up primarily in Bulgaria. The rest scattered across Europe in the following days, setting off monitoring alarms all over Europe, including in Wales in the UK (west coast). Sheep and other cattle were destroyed on health grounds. The fire then helped to make parts of the core airborne. In total, less than 4% of the core escaped.

I'm getting quite disturbed by the reports that it was only the secondary containment building that exploded. The Japanese were maintaining the pressure of the building to safe levels. The primary containment is not filled with water. When the cooling pumps to the reactor failed, it was the reactor that exploded. There is no other possible explanation.

In effect, they are lying about the situation.

Ever heard the expression "actions speak louder than words"?

Words: "We set up a 20 km exclusion zone. The radiation is not dangerous to health.".

Action: They have evacuated 180,000 people, and are stopping anyone getting to within 60 km of the site. They have also distributed iodine tablets to everyone.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by servumlibertatem

Originally posted by servumlibertatem
I will take ANY bettors that this will go down in history somewhere betwwen TMI and Chernobyl in magnitude.I might have some doubt in my mind, but for the atrocious cover story by Japanese officials parroted by the MSM...(added)(plus pumping seawater on the pile, a prime indicator that the core is FUBAR)

The real sad part is, we will not know the true extent for months or years, and until the damage is done and people have died as a result-if history is any indicator.

Absolutely!!

Pumping sea water is a SHTF option. i.e. the core is exposed and there is no other way to get water into the reactor. It is the last line of defense.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Thats not realy what I got out of it. The Cooling System stopped, the pressure built up, but so the "Boiler" did'nt explode, they activated safety valves to realese the extend pressure. The extend pressure was let into the space between the boiler top and the surrounding building, where it exploded, because under pressur and heat the water had separeted into Hydrogen and Oxygen, which makes a powerfull explosive mixture. At that point the "Pressure Cooocker" with the hot core inside was still not damaged. Thats what I read out of it...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo
This sounds really bad... however, I have a brief physics question here.

Being that the elements found in the alloyed isotopes of fuel rods are all considerably heavier than air, how is it possible for these elements to stay in the atmosphere, especially long enough to reach the American western shores?

Were there studies done after the Hiroshima and Nagosaki detonations that showed this that I'm not aware of?
edit on 13-3-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

You'll be amazed what can be carried in the air. Just look at Chernobyl.

Remember that we are not talking large pieces of debris - the debris will get broken up in the explosion and easily carried by the wind. It is the fact it is very highly radioactive that is the problem.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CarlitosAmsel

They said the explosion occurred because the hydrogen contacted "nuclear material". Only place that is possible is in the core.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I can't help but think this is being blown out of proportions.

Yes, it's tragic. Yes, it will likely affect many people, BUT it's NOT the end of the world, and IF some radiation comes to the U.S. , it will likely be such a small dose that most except for the weakest of us will go about everyday life without even noticing.

At least, that's my hope.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
another site in trouble.

IAEA reports a state of emergency at the Onagawa nuclear power plant
Story data:

www.iaea.org...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I can't help but think this is being blown out of proportions.

Yes, it's tragic. Yes, it will likely affect many people, BUT it's NOT the end of the world, and IF some radiation comes to the U.S. , it will likely be such a small dose that most except for the weakest of us will go about everyday life without even noticing.

At least, that's my hope.

Yea, that sounds quite reasonable. You Guys over in the States made not have that fuzz when your Government exploded one nuke after the other in Nevada, in the ocean or right over your heads in the atmoosphere. But now some fizzle over in Japan brings you all into panic? Lets wait till the first crap hits California, make your messurements and then tell the world what is happening..._

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I've been watching Japanese TV. Simply put, the situation is almost out of control. They are in a desperate stuggle to prevent multiple, complete meltdowns. Thier backups systems failed. Remember "the blow-out preventor".

Do you remember how the engineers scrambled to stop the BP oil spill?
The same is happening here.
The situation is out of control.
It's like stopping a fully loaded, runaway, frieght train.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Is this spin? Or truth?

1456: Radiation levels at the Onagawa nuclear power plant in Miyagi prefecture are about 700 times higher than normal but are still low, the Tohoku Electric Power Company has said, according to the Maichi Shinbum website. Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency dismissed the possibility that the Onagawa plant was to blame, saying it was likely caused by the radioactive substances that scattered when a hydrogen explosion hit the troubled Fukushima plant on Saturday.

IOW: "Folks, don't worry about the Onagawa plant; it's not having problems. Yeah, radiation levels are 700 times higher than they should be, but that's only because of fallout from yesterday's Fukushima explosion far to the southwest, which, as we've told you, didn't actually spread any radiation, except for one blob that magically landed right on top of Onagawa and nowhere else. You believe us. Right?"

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by shikori

I sigh at how much this thing is being mis-reported and the public are being misled.

The friggin' reactor exploded and that is nothing short of extremely bad. Chernobyl 2 has occurred, and at least one more may follow.

One reason they don't want panic is because this will be the end of new nuclear in the west. The UK is pushing hard for it, and are doing everything it can to deceive the people into it, including all the BS of climate change to scare people into it.

I feel sick.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Am I right in thinking that the building that blew was one of four in the complex. Do the other remaining 3 building also have the same reactor in them. If the damaged one leaks or melts down will they be able to keep control of the other 3 if radiation levels in the area go very high.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
Am I right in thinking that the building that blew was one of four in the complex. Do the other remaining 3 building also have the same reactor in them. If the damaged one leaks or melts down will they be able to keep control of the other 3 if radiation levels in the area go very high.

AFAIK they are all separate plants. There is nothing shared between them, so they should be able to look after the others. The only problem is radiation for the workers.

After Chernobyl, they continued to operate the remaining plant, right up to December 1999.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I found this article which I found interesting and which might shed some truth, or not, on the real danger of the `explosions` of the reactors

morgsatlarge.wordpress.com...

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit

Originally posted by bigyin

AFAIK they are all separate plants. There is nothing shared between them, so they should be able to look after the others. The only problem is radiation for the workers.

After Chernobyl, they continued to operate the remaining plant, right up to Dec 2000.

yes but didn't a lot of those engineers and technicians die from the effects and regarded as heroes.

It's the radiation levels I'm worried about and being able to keep personnel in the area. Maybe they can shut the other reactors right down and then leave them. I don't know if thats possible.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

The reactor did not explode. They vented vapor from the reactor to relieve pressure, this vapor went into the outer containment building (probably the wrong terminology for it but you get the point) & ignited blowing the outer shell apart. The inner structures that protect the core are intact. Stop with the chicken little routine.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sarahko
I found this article which I found interesting and which might shed some truth, or not, on the real danger of the `explosions` of the reactors

morgsatlarge.wordpress.com...

What do you think?

Thats a good read thank you.

What I take form it is that an old design of nuclear reactor can be hit by an enormous earthquake, swamped by the sea, have all its power knocked out, partially blow up, and even after that lot it is still not causing problems for peoples health. Which is all good I suppose.
edit on 13-3-2011 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join