It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Ruby Slipper's" Method

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
We (the participants of ATS Thread 672665) present to you ...

The "Ruby Slipper's" Method
[aka The "Ruby Slipper's" Technique]

It's along the same thinking as "The Chewbacca Defense".
The Chewbacca Defense, in it's rawest form, basically states that ...

"If Chewbacca doesn't make sense, you must acquit!"

The basic implication is that, if you can string-together enough random, but seemingly-relevant pieces of information (not necessarily "facts"), a jury or other judicial authority will be so confused that they will be completely unable to edjudicate the case - generating enough "reasonable doubt" to acquit, or at least result in a "hung jury".

Similarly, "The Ruby Slipper's Method" is a means of taking any piece of "information" or a "presumption" and turning it into a "fact" - by simply repeating it enough times. In it's simplest form it could be stated as ...

"I said it three times, it must now be true!"

This term was coined (to the best of our knowledge) today during the discussion of various events surrounding the issues with nuclear plants in Japan - after their recent catastrophic earthquake and resulting tsunami.

There were sometimes seemingly self-contradicting statements made relating to those events. In particular the implication ...

"radioactive material was released into the sea" and yet "without an adverse effect on human health or the environment"

... seemed to several of us (but obviously not everyone participating), to be naive - if not entirely self-contradictory.

It was then noted, that (just perhaps) if such things were said over-and-over again, they would become more believable - or perhaps that effort (in and of itself) makes them "fact". Looking back through the news over the last few years, this certainly doesn't seem like a new phenomenon. It just didn't seem to have a name until now.

Now, it's The "Ruby Slipper's" Method.

No Wikipedia or Urban Dictionary page exists for this term (yet).

Forgive me if this is not the exact right forum. I looked around ATS, and this one seemed the most relevant.

edit on 2011-3-11 by EnhancedInterrogator because: (no reason given)

edit on 2011-3-11 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling,f ormatting, etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

OMG soo true!!

i was looking at my wife and we both laughed when we heard the same thing..

so true

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Now your cooking 3 clicks for the conscious another 3 clcks for the subconscious you break habits by realizing them by watching and stopping them S&F for seeing

new topics

join