It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

July 7, 1958: The 1,700-foot Tall Tsunami that Struck Alaska -The Largest in Recorded History

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Sourc e

On the night of July 7th, 1958 the world’s largest recorded Tsunami engorged Alaska's Lituya bay, located about 250 miles west of Juneau. It was 1,700 feet or 520 meters, almost twice the height of the Eiffel Tower.

The Tsunami was triggered by a magnitude 8.3 earthquake caused an enormous landslide along the Fairweather Fault. The resulting crash of rock into water, caused the largest wall of water in human history. The deadly wave hurtled at jet speeds and wiped out everything within a four mile radius.

Fortunately Lituya Bay was virtually uninhabited, otherwise it would have caused unprecedented destruction, far greater than the tsunami that struck Thailand in 2004.
At the time of the colossal wave, there were only three fishing boats anchored in the bay and amazingly only one sank, with two people losing their lives. The other boats were able to surf the crest of the tsunami.

I wanted to post this as I am fairly familiar with the story and wanted to show all the people that think the world is coming to an end that this is a fairly common occurrence on planet Earth. This event was a monster, the largest ever, and was caused by a landslide.

I send my best wishes to all the families affected by the tragedy taking place in Japan as we speak, but people have to realize that these events do happen.

I wanted to share this one because could you imagine a tsunami that high coming at you? Holy crap, I wouldn't be worried about the water as I would die of a heart attack.

Just thought I would share a little history with all of you.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I guess Florida better get ready then, because its in their near future. Im no future teller. Just came to mind as I read the history of that 1,700 foor tsunami. And you are right. the earth isnt on anyones schedule. It will do what it wants as it pleases.My prayers go out to all affected by the tsunami yesturday. We as humans should all feel a loss. Alot of good people perished. Friends we never met.

The next one is coming though.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PLASIFISK

Hey! Don't say stuff like that! I am only at 5 ft. above sea level in Florida.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

If something were to happen on the coast of Africa you would have plenty of time to prepare so do not worry too much.

That is what you accept for living so close to the coast, same thing with people the live in tornado valley or on fault lines. The beach is a beautiful place to be but it comes with it's risks. The only person who can properly weigh those risks are the ones living there.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Too bad there wasn't someone videotaping that one... would have been amazing footage!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

There were a father and son on a boat that lived through the whole thing. They said that the heard a deafening sound and saw a gigantic wave coming at them, their boat road the wave and the both survived.

Could you imagine being on the water with that kind of wave coming at you?

I would be dead from a heart attack too soon to see if I survived.

Pred...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I've read dozens of visions over the past year from people who said San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, and New York all get swamped by a major tsunami. I hardly see how these cities getting wiped out by tsunamis is a completely normal occurance when it has never happened before.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Great thread

As I just said in another thread, population density is so high everywhere, and we insist on building ever larger cities closer and closer to the coast, what do you think is going to happen?

I'm not at all blaming the people that live in these areas, but it's not like you should be surprised when something bad happens when you have millions of people and trillions of dollars of infrastructure sitting a few feet from the end of a metaphorical fire hose. Most of the world's largest cities are right on the coast, or close to other major bodies of water. We have been doing this ever since we as a race began to settle and abandon the wandering lifestyle because we needed a source of water and trade.

And what do we do when something bad happens? Instead of thinking, well maybe we shouldn't be right on the edge of disaster and build a little farther inland, we rebuild a city that sits right in nature's crosshairs.

Things are only going to get worse, and it's not because the world is ending, it's because we fail to think info the future and realize it's not the best idea to build a huge metropolis on a frikin coastline!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ag893

Have you seen all the ancient cities that lie underneath the water? There are too many to even count, some that are as large as our cities now lie in ruins under water, so yes this has happened many, many times before and will happen many, many times in the future.

To think that this will not happen to us is kind of ignorant, as the signs are all around us. They just found that one city underwater that was wiped out by a tsunami in Spain, that they believe could possibly be Atlantis.

When it happens anywhere, it will not be the apocalypse, or an act of god, it will be a normal occurrence of the ever changing terrain of the earth.

Pred...

new topics

top topics

join