It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Earth is out of balance -...badly

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

We are harming it by what i said in a post on the first page. Did you read the link I posted?

Seismologists recently have recast their understanding of the inner workings of Earth from a relatively benign homogeneous environment to one that is highly dynamic and chemically diverse. This new view of Earth’s inner workings depicts the planet as a living organism, where events that happen deep inside can affect what happens at its surface – such as the rub and slip of tectonic plates, or the rumble of the occasional volcano.

edit on 12-3-2011 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by WhizPhiz

is it a chunk of rock though?

there's some scientific evidence plants have consciousness - (and why not, they've been around for longer than us) - see the book 'primary perception ' - written by a scientist.

also there is now some indication that water may have consiousness - masuro emoto in japan and others..

the aboriginies and native americans have always said the earth and all things in it have consciousness.

you find their beliefs funny?

i dont.

i think they might just be right after all...

and the incredible arrogance of humans is what is going to be our undoing...

in placing ourselves about and thinking we are unconnected with nature and all in it..

'chunk of rock' that sort of thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by BlackOps719

Oh please, stop being a little drama queen. If a natural event happens that causes our extinction then so be it, that is natural and is bound to happen at some point, many other species that have lasted relatively unchanged for a heck of alot longer than humans eventually went extinct...Earth has been plodding along happily under far worse circumstances than humans could ever throw at it and will continue to after many more mass extinction events occur, the only thing earth has to worry about is the sun dying. And as i always say to folks like you, take the first step and rid earth of yourself and your evil human ways if you are so passionate about it...you will also rid the rest of humanity of your incessant drivel as a bonus. Of course you won't do that.

edit on 11-3-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

you dont think you're born here to learn anything then?

you know it all i take it...

no of course, it doesn't matter in the scheme of things if we go anymore than if ants get washed down a drainpipe

but maybe the ants going do matter - just as much as us going

in the scheme of things - ants are important too; and we are no less important or more important than an ant.

and of no more value or less value in the scheme of things.

i like ants...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Somehumanbeing

oh its not hypocritical - we are all part of nature even the computer.

i'm just saying things are out of balance.

and they are.

and balance always has to be restored. figure that if you dont like the emotional side.

yin and yang like the chinese say.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhizPhiz
reply to post by ucantcme

Defense mode? Against humans? For killing other animals? What does the Earth care if we kill trees and nature? As an earlier poster mentioned, the Earth wiped out the dinosaurs, what did they ever do? It was simply an event caused by external factors, not the Earth going into defense mode. Environmental things such as earthquakes and volcanoes are not weapons, they are a naturally occurring system which can be described and understood. They aren't the result of the Earth deciding it needs to wipe out humans.

edit on 11-3-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

how do you know?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

yes - maybe earth is a training ground for souls - eg. like humans

you get a chance to see how you do things

but then you're shown how your actions affect others and ultimately yourselves...

e.g. being selfish and not caring if you harm other plants, animals, or humans might seem to have no ramifications for you

but in the end ppl might decide being selfish actually hurts themselves

so maybe these cyclical disasters occur to teach the inhabitants of the planet an important lesson
and to assist evolution

sounds an ok theory to me..

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

For a lot of people in the world more children equals more workers hence more potential food/money, usually they are farmers that raise livestock, grow crops perhaps albeit on a very, very small scale... they also need young people to look after the older family members and eventually the parents themselves when they are older...people that im describing usually live with lots of older relatives. I think it's a bit simple and easy to knock these people, you should be thankful you have the luxury of deciding such things imo. You are not facing a life or death situation with the choice to have another child and potentially raise your living standards or to not have one and slowly watch the only thing keeping you and all the rest of your family from starving to death because you can't maintain the livestock and crops due to lack of able bodied people.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
A few years ago (snort) there were people who thought the earth was flat.
Then they learned more.
If any of you feel that we have reached the apex of our learning, then I must point out the fallacy of your thinking. You'd be in the category of the flat-earthers.

So while we occupy just a wee percentage on this big rock, there has yet to be any evidence of it being a sentient being who "cares" or is "hurt" by our actions.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I never said the earth decided to kill humans for killing animals.
lol, no, the OP did. What defenses do you propose the Earth has then? What does a chunk of rock need to defend it's self from? I can see maybe aspects of the ecosystem and environment with built in defense systems, but the Earth, no. The worste thing nature could unleash on us would probably be something similar to that movie where the trees kill everyone with some sort of neurotoxin. But these events aren't related to any of that, the OP is very far from the truth, there is a very complex set of factors behind these events, environmental changes caused by non-conscious external factors. I suggest people study up on things like the Mayan calender, I don't really know, just go where the evidence takes you, think out of the box, then post theories that are beyond the realm of "the Earth is mad".

yeah; i did. she's probably sick of listening to their screams. they are her children too.

what can she unleash? how about a pole shift? it's happened before in earth's history.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

If the Earth were a living organism it might do so, but it isn't, and even if it were, how are we harming it? The OP claims because we are harming animals and nature, but that would suggest the Earth cares about the life on it, and it happens to use earthquakes and volcanoes when it decides any species is getting out of hand? That is so ridiculous. There are forces in the Earth, such as tectonic plates pressing together, these forces must release pressure at point, it isn't the result of the Earth consciously causing it. Something of a very understandable and logical nature is causing the Earth to be under stress (caused by forces such as gravity, not emotional stress), and it's triggering the release of built up pressure in volcanoes and earthquakes, there's nothing super magical about it.

how do you know?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I take it that this thread was created in response to the tragedy in Japan.
Anthropomorphize much?

Humans are an arrogant species that actually think that since we build big buildings and create roads and civilizations, that we can govern a planet.

The earth's crust only accounts for 1% of the total mass of the planet. We occupy 0.5% of that crust. Try to put things in perspective here. We occupy 0.000005% of the planet. (if my math is correct)

It's nice to be poetic, I suppose, but reality has to enter the picture sooner or later.
edit on 12-3-2011 by beezzer because: speling errer

ah its so sweet to see the modern scientific rhetoric being spat out like its the gospel truth.

just like in the old days when christianity was the gospel truth.

propaganda at schools and uni clearly does work.

all you 'science worshippers' might want to consider that the science you worship which you think proves everything is unemotional and unconscious might lead you in a very strange and interesting direction in the future.

or maybe you just dont know enough science to know that the stuff i'm talking about is not so crazy afterall..

no use talking to you guys...

it'll probably take a few pole shifts before any sense gets through by the looks of it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
i'm departing again...

can't stand the responses quite frankly.

but much as expected i suppose.

at least it seems to be getting you thinking.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

rapunzel, before you leave, please explain, if earth is a living being then it is something that has to be taken on faith. Faith alone. So to follow your argument, you're probably someone who goes to church because, well, you can't be sure if God exists or not, correct?
Or do you believe in christianity? Using your argument, chistianity "might" be right. Same as the whole Gaia (sp?) theory.

I would enjoy your thoughts.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Go to the link I posted on the first page it has information on the earth being a living organism

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Thanks, read the link. While the article went into detail describing the dynamics of the layers of the earth, it, in no way, explained why the earth was alive.
If I took a pot of pudding on the stove, it whould exhibit the same dynamics as heating interacted with the layers of pudding.
But my tapioca is not alive.

I appreciate you replying. I usually get the same silent treatment when I confront baptists

Debating faith is a tricky action a the best of times. To be honest, however, I have yet to see anything that would sway me to a "living earth" faith.
Regards

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yes I noticed that too. But they obviously had a good reason for putting that part in the article. They just didnt go into enough detail about it. I'll have to research it a little more and see if I can find something with that goes into better detail about it.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

If we are all part of nature, we are all in balance with nature on this planet. Unless we are to be seen as some unnatural God in comparison to "nature" we are in balance with this planet.

It seems to me your perception of Humanity being able to create an unbalance on this planet is derived from a sense of unfounded grandiosity in regards to humanity.

I like how you view our species as so powerful, but we aren't that powerful as to be able to even harness atleast half of the "resource" potential of this planet.

From what I have read, observed and deduced, "nature" as a generalisation for various ecosystems and processes, is "perfect". It is never unbalanced, if evolution gave us our intelligence, don't you think "it"(the process) would have not made it so that it creates an unbalance?

Having said that all of this, we BARELY scratch the surface of this planet: The deepest hole we've ever dug (not for any resource harvesting, just simply to dig the biggest damn hole we can and see what's there) was 12.3 kilometres deep. Just the earth's mantle is approx 2,890 kilometres thick. We cannot harm this planet.

We can harm the living species on the surface, but the planet? No.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

The only way in my opinion that we could create an unbalance in the surface ecosystem, is if we nuked every square kilometre of this planet; even then, it would balance itself out.
edit on 12-3-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I wasn't knocking anyone, I was stating my opinion. You know nothing about me or my life, so don't assume what I have the luxury of deciding. I know what self control is, I know that having ten children that I couldn't possibly feed, regardless of the reason would be selfish, that should be common sense!

I have seen people in my own society do the same thing for a bigger check every month... it doesn't always have to do with third world countries, and I didn't mean for my post to make you think that I meant so....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to www.abovetopsecret.com...]post by beezzer

So I found this website. Its just a theroy of course but isnt everything? Either way a very intresting read

The Earth proper - its crustal rocks, oceans and atmosphere - and the life on it have evolved together as a single, tightly coupled system. The system compensates for changes in the global climate by adjusting the rates at which such gases as oxygen, methane and carbon dioxide are produced and removed from the atmosphere. This effectively holds the climate within bounds favorable to life as a whole. In this view, the Earth is neither as fragile as some environmentalists would have it nor as forgiving as some people, who have taken the Gaia hypothesis to mean that the environment will adjust to pollution and disruption by humans, would like to believe. It will adjust, Dr. Lovelock says, but the adjustment may well be disastrous for Homo sapiens.

www.nytimes.com... /science/evolving-theory-views-earth-as-a-living-organism.html?pagewanted=2&pm

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
We have lost respect for this earth's "life forces", which initailly governed the concept of human survival from the inception of "time" on this particular planet.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join