It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA to retest airport body scanners for radiation, radiation levels 10 times higher than expected.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
but doesnt radio active material infect other material around it self ,
and shouldent constant usage of something radioactive then contaminate the rest of the boarding control space area ?

so not only are the passanger at risk but the workers who work around the area , everything from security to janitors to just by standers ?

The answer to your questions is yes, and no, and not necessarily in that order. Multiple factors to be considered, but in the scenarion provided, CRT xray or other contained xray point source will not ionize other materials outside in substantial, measurable amount unless of course you ask a lawyer in which the answer will be maybe it could depending on how you think about it and if there is a deep pocket involved.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Now that's a big oops - conveniently overshadowed by bigger news.

Radiation causes cells to mutate - the effects depend on dose AND other environmental stressors. Given the number of stressors in our environment that we cannot avoid, I intend to stay FAR away from any exposure I can avoid.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The TSA knew. They knew everything from the start. It's only the continued refusals, media coverage and outright rage from the public that has brought it to the point of them saying they will re-test. As if doing it for our safety.

This will only convince more people that the TSA is watching out for us and not treating us like criminals.

If people didn't come out in numbers, it would never have come to light because the TSA doesn't give a damn about people...only their agenda.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is a great example showing how it seems like there are 2 sides, but it is just one big dramatic side.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

This was the fear and this was the criticism and they went ahead and did it anyway.

Either they are just plain scared #less of another 9/11 event and so use that to justify dropping all pretense of affording their passengers dignity or rights as a flyer and so they are completely insensitive.

Or -
"They" (a nefarious THEY who shall remain unnamed largely because we do not know who they are) deliberately did this in order TO take away peoples freedom FROM illegal and unwarranted search and seizure for some future but unrelated, diabolical world domination project.

Or
This RAPISCAN Company that manufactures and sells the scanners is high up and pulls considerable weight on the list of companies that secretly control everything and ram their agenda and ridiculous, unsafe products through.

This is after all how the Capitalist System works best.
Supply (the dangerous unnecessary crap)
Demand (they purchase it with government money and make sure it is installed everywhere)
who cares what the aftermath is...we got ours
Someone creepy is associated with Rapiscan...Is it Rumsfeld? Cheney? I can't remember. Sometimes it is just the connections a company has. Who you know.

Or

All of the above.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I fly on average once per month. I have not yet been directed to the nude-o-scope and have personally had no negative experiences with the TSA. This may be due to the fact that I am a Caucasian female. However, I have personally witnessed people that do not fit my apparent demographic be subject to interrogation and additional security measures. They just make me take off my coat and shoes, wave me on through to the standard metal detector, and X-ray my carry-on.

Three words if you are directed to the nude-o-scope: I OPT OUT.

At that point, expect a patdown and insist loudly that they change their gloves and wash their hands/use sanitizer first. Also, have it done in front of the other passengers (witnesses), and remain in sight of your baggage at all times so they can't steal your valuables. If you feel that the patdown was unnecessarily invasive or if anything is stolen from you, involve law enforcement immediately.

The TSA does not need to treat the public like criminals. The airlines are losing business due to the TSA's absolute epic fail. For some of us, air travel is the only feasible way to see our families and friends.

A "math error" that exposes people to full-body ionizing radiation? I'll get X-rays if I break a bone or at my dentist, whose machines do not make math errors and are specifically designed to minimize radiation exposure - in addition to my dentist placing a lead shield over my clothes.

Radiation freaks me out, it is the one big thing to which I am sensitive. It makes me sad to see people submitting to this, in addition to the fact that my hair practically stands on end when I walk by the nude-o-scopes. There is a leaflet online somewhere that is very candid (without being rude) on how to handle air travel. I'll post the link if I find it and print out several to leave in the TSA's bins so that other passengers know their rights and responsibilities. Others have done that, and as distributing leaflets is protected free speech, I know it contains the text of the Fourth Amendment, which guarantees the right of the people to not be subjected to unreasonable search (among other things).

Also, some tips: follow the TSA's regulations as to carry-on luggage (which aren't unreasonable; guns must be declared to the airline for safety purposes, unloaded, and checked in baggage), don't set off the metal detectors due to forgotten keys in your pocket or a belt buckle or anything innocuous like that, and you'll likely be waved on through.

Be polite as well. No one ever became an activist by being rude to people with cruddy jobs in a difficult economy.

FlyerTalk's Travel Safety/Security Forum has excellent information as to experiences with the TSA.

I hope this long post is of use to someone who flies frequently or will be flying in the near future.
edit on 12/3/11 by gildedlily because: typographical error

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
"The TSA says that the records reflect math mistakes and that all the machines are safe. "

I would be ROFLMAO if this wasn't so serious an issue. MATH ERRORS!?! Those evil flicks will say ANYTHING!

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Screw it, I'll be the first to say it:

I TOLD YOU SO

Now for all the idiots who said this wasn't a concern:

GROW A FREAKING BRAIN, IDIOT.

Now back to your regular mass mind-programming....

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

1) Measuring a small high dose rate x-ray pencil beam is difficult and underestimates the dose due to the type of sensor used.
2) The underestimated reading is now incorrectly assume to be uniformly absorbed or averaged over the body volume. The use of "effective" dose further under estimates the dose to the skin/breast/testicles by 15-20x.
3) The actual skin dose is closer to 1/50th to 1/20th of a chest x-ray.
4) According to John Hopkins measurements the scattered dose is already at the federal limits.
5) All of the critical measurements (currents, speeds, etc..) of the John Hopkins report is redacted and can't be independently duplicated or verified, so much for transparency. But, they want your and your kids clothing transparent?
6) If the dose recognized as over federal limits the security staff would be classified as radiation workers, and should have dosimeters. For political reasons this is being avoided at all costs.
7) Bottom line is the scanners are a privacy violation and a public health risk.
To learn more links below.

www.rockyflatsgear.com...
www.tsa.gov...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Most radiation workers safe dosage level is given in annual amounts.

Pity the frequent flier...

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I am a cancer survivor. Anyone who allows themselves or their family to be scanned by these machines is an idiot. But don't worry, those freedom-loving TSA folks say all is well.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join