It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are we going to create jobs and rebuild our economy? What is the best path to take?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I don't care what side of the aisle you are on politically. We've got to come to terms with what is happening and decide what we are going to do about it as a country.

The largest American corporations have gone Transnational. American workers, UNION OR NOT, simply cannot compete with petty wages. Small businesses cannot compete with Transnational Corporations. American small business can be undercut by larger monopolistic companies that can use cheap labor and other ways to drive other small companies out of business. Until we find a way to resolve this problem, we will continue our decline.

So what are we going to do? What is the best path we can take? If there is no way to control the power of corporations in our own country....corporations that are global and really have no interest in our Constitution? Even though they simply aren't employing American workers anymore....they are still controlling our government...not to mention virtually ALL of our media.

Myself, I'm looking at the options...and none of them are easy.

1. We keep the status quo...and we all know what happens with that.

2. We cave to corporate power. We abolish minimum wage and most social programs. Eliminating social programs will erase most of our deficits (save for war and defense spending), which in turn we could lower taxes to entice more corporations to hire American workers. We could then hopefully compete with cheap labor overseas. Our quality of life will drastically lower and our country/way of life will drastically change, but it will save our economy. Quite frankly I hate this option....but it IS an option.

3. We fight. We increase tariffs on imports and lower taxes to small businesses....with no exemptions except for food and energy...whether they are an American based company or not. If an item is shipped to the US...there is a tax slapped on it...and much higher tax than the average 2 percent we now use. This would give American small businesses a chance to grow into larger companies...thus being able to hire more american workers and give them a decent wage and hopefully pull this country out of the gutter....and at the same time help curb our deficit. This will cause inflation...not by debt...but through taxes. Things will definitely cost more...but at the rate prices are inflating now this would be a better solution. If we take this path we'd be working to make ourselves more self efficient and we could begin to make our own strong, PURELY AMERICAN Large businesses. Basically...we start to rebuild....and with doing that we will make some countries upset with our actions of getting out of free trade agreements. This road is definitelly NOT easy...it will be tough. Our way of life will also have to change and sacrifices will have to be made.

Now, if anyone has a better option...please share...or if you have a criticism of anything I wrote...please share as well.

What do you think we should do?

(I do realize I have left out war spending...that's an entirely different pile of problems that i'm going to keep seperate from this...I'm mainly keeping this pertaining to jobs and our general economy.)
edit on 11-3-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Gonna go with 3

Those corporations that outsource our jobs and then try to sell products to us need to get heavily taxed. Put up taraffs, and make it ultimately cheaper to produce in the states verses outsource.

This is the same damn solution people have been calling on for what..15-20 years now? I wonder if any politician will ever listen.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Repeal N.A.F.T.A.

Tariff tax the hell out of imports

Abolish the federal reserve

Problem solved

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
more welfare programs!! seriously..

think about it, can everyone work if the "robots/machines" do most peoples' jobs today?

let those that want to work go and work for like $40,000 a year.

then let those who can't find work get paid like $24,000 a year.

everyone can't be a plumber, teacher, nurse, etc can they?

if the factories, which employed HUGE amounts of people are now automated what other choice is there?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The best solution in this case in my opinion is to get rid of the economy. Everybody is screaming jobs left and right when really they don't know what the hell they're talking about. I understand, food must be put on the table, and roof over the head is a must. Instead of putting our resources to demeaning jobs that provide absolutely no value to the bettering of our society *cough insurance companies, banks cough* we could tackle problems like Mal-nourishment in certain areas of the world or whatever is currently a situation.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
You're not seeing the bigger picture... Governments want a certain percentage of the workforce on benefits and social security as they can then stand in front of those who are lucky enough to still have gainful employment and say, "See those poor people, if you don't accept a wage cut and worse pay and conditions you're going to join them on the scrapheap!"
If you have a job the government wants you to realise that there's always someone out there who will do your job for a fraction of the money that you're being paid to do it... Then when the time of year comes around when you would be expecting to receive a rise and dont you wont complain too bitterly just in case you end up on the dole... They want you to believe that a bad wage is better than no wage at all!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I know some will hate what I say but I really think we need to get rid of all the corporations. I mean outlaw them completely and only have in town small business. Really go back to the earlier days when we relied on our own country and resources. That would get rid of a lot of the hurt

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Our economy has failed us how many times..? and you want to rebuild it ..why?..I say let it go..We need to adopt a better system, I have no suggestions on it..But think about it for a minute..Why would we turn back to a system that has failed us time and time again..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a free energy source simple but it would leave the energy companies bust in wich the goverments bust wich again means the people are bust the only way u can rebuild ur enconomy giv all children the option to flurish in everything because realy our only job as men is to prepare our sons on earth for the future if we stoped war and weapons and the war on drugs and people understood a common law of peace and respect and settle disputes properly
remember wars are old men talking young men falling

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Those corporations that outsource our jobs and then try to sell products to us need to get heavily taxed. Put up taraffs, and make it ultimately cheaper to produce in the states verses outsource.

I agree. But as I stated...many people don't like this because pretty much everything we buy is going to cost more...a LOT more. Computers, cell phones, really everything. (I advocate not raising tariffs on foods of course). We have the problem of trying to eliminate debt and trying to create jobs at the same time....this is really one of the only ways I see to do it.

The other option is horrible but that seems to be what many are supporting.....and to their credit (cringe) it will fix our deficits...although at the same time severely hurting our standard of living.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'll agree that we need to lower the cost for companies to do business here. In one way we are our own worst enemy. Americans will buy products that are the cheapest priced items not being too concerned about where it is made at. Afterwards a few of us discover that cheaper price does not necessarily mean cheaper cost or best value. I've found many items including some clothes have inferior quality and don't last nearly as long or develop holes in them much faster when the products are made in China versus the US and other countries. Even some hand tools made in China that were outsourced by an American company "to compete". I found the tools to look similar but the tools did not cut properly. They were inferior copies not worth buying. Without subsidies or tariffs the textile industry here in the US was decimated. Now I have to buy clothes made overseas at half the former US price but they only last less than half the time or a quarter of the time the better clothes did.

I actually work at one large American company that still has a large American work force. I keep hearing about how our government keeps increasing the costs to do business here in the US not the other way around. I read recently a story about how our government has many incompetent people losing paperwork and causing companies to start up overseas due to lots of red tape and incompetent officials here. Our government and our tax dollars make important research discoveries only to have the business start up overseas.
edit on 11-3-2011 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
I don't care what side of the aisle you are on politically. We've got to come to terms with what is happening and decide what we are going to do about it as a country.

The largest American corporations have gone Transnational. American workers, UNION OR NOT, simply cannot compete with petty wages. Small businesses cannot compete with Transnational Corporations. American small business can be undercut by larger monopolistic companies that can use cheap labor and other ways to drive other small companies out of business. Until we find a way to resolve this problem, we will continue our decline.

So what are we going to do? What is the best path we can take? If there is no way to control the power of corporations in our own country....corporations that are global and really have no interest in our Constitution? Even though they simply aren't employing American workers anymore....they are still controlling our government...not to mention virtually ALL of our media.

Myself, I'm looking at the options...and none of them are easy.

1. We keep the status quo...and we all know what happens with that.

2. We cave to corporate power. We abolish minimum wage and most social programs. Eliminating social programs will erase most of our deficits (save for war and defense spending), which in turn we could lower taxes to entice more corporations to hire American workers. We could then hopefully compete with cheap labor overseas. Our quality of life will drastically lower and our country/way of life will drastically change, but it will save our economy. Quite frankly I hate this option....but it IS an option.

3. We fight. We increase tariffs on imports and lower taxes to small businesses....with no exemptions...whether they are an American based company or not. If an item is shipped to the US...there is a tax slapped on it...and much higher tax than the average 2 percent we now use. This would give American small businesses a chance to grow into larger companies...thus being able to hire more american workers and give them a decent wage and hopefully pull this country out of the gutter....and at the same time help curb our deficit. This will cause inflation...not by debt...but through taxes. Things will definitely cost more...but at the rate prices are inflating now this would be a better solution. If we take this path we'd be working to make ourselves more self efficient and we could begin to make our own strong, PURELY AMERICAN Large businesses. Basically...we start to rebuild....and with doing that we will make some countries upset with our actions of getting out of free trade agreements. This road is definitelly NOT easy...it will be tough. Our way of life will also have to change and sacrifices will have to be made.

Now, if anyone has a better option...please share...or if you have a criticism of anything I wrote...please share as well.

What do you think we should do?

(I do realize I have left out war spending...that's an entirely different pile of problems that i'm going to keep seperate from this...I'm mainly keeping this pertaining to jobs and our general economy.)

2.Eliminating the minimum wage will only make the rich richer. They will be able
to hire service workers and servants for very little. That will have no affect on manufacturing.
It will not make the US more
competitive. It would be near impossible for it to ever be as low as 30 cents an hour in
the US.

The Chinese,Japanese,Koreans and other easterners have much higher IQs
while the US IQs are in decline,and a homogeneous society both of which make them
better workers. They think
nationally not just for themselves as does the US worker.
Face the facts. After 40 years of competition the US made
cars are not as good as the Japanese.

Eliminating social programs is a$$ backwards. It would cause total Kaos here.
Japan has socialized medicine. So does Germany.
The Japanese worker does not need a union to fight for health care. The Japanese car
costs do not include medical care for the worker since the govt takes care of it.
Pensions should also be mostly taken care of by the government for the same reason:
it removes it from the manufactures burden allowing products to produced for less.

3. It took the East 70 years or more to build their manufacturing base to where it is. It would take us
10 to 20 years to rebuild ours.Nobody in our government thinks more than a few months ahead.
We need to eliminate the military budget almost entirely and imperialist wars,and spend that money on rebuilding the
infrastructure and manufacturing base for useful products not WMDs.
We need to stop importing low skilled low IQ workers. Better to import scientists and engineers.
We need to improve our higher education and it should be free. Doctors,nurses,scientists,engineers
etc will improve the quality of life here.
We need to have full socialized medicine and pension plans.
Tariffs will be needed when there is some manufacturing to protect.
End corporate control of the food supply and the thousands of chemicals
put in our food and water poisoning us.
A good eugenics program to raise the IQ would help.
Tax the rich at 95 percent and use the money for rebuilding the country.
Simplify the tax code with a simple progressive tax. Eliminate all use and
sales taxes.
Have an inheritance tax of 99 percent for anything above ten million to keep
the rich from controlling the country as they do now.
Eliminate government corruption.
End the fed of course.
End the prison industrial complex.Legalize all drugs and prostitution.
Death penalty for violent crimes. No long prison sentences.
Death penalty for theft and theft by fraud over 1 million dollars.
Eliminate the office of the president. A council of 9 would rule.
Tax all religions. Ban violent religions. Deport illegals.
Free tv time for alternate views. End monopoly corporate
control of the media.

Even if we did all of the above (3) we would still not be able to sell competitively against the
Chinese who will always be able to pay their workers less but it would at least keep
most Americans in a reasonable middle class.

1. The status quo is the NWO option. Keep doing what we are doing:
Exporting manufacturing jobs and importing low IQ,low education workers
thus eliminating the middle class.

Fixing the country would require all of the above. It cannot IMO be fixed
by just trying one thing or another.

edit on 11-3-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

Repeal N.A.F.T.A. Tariff tax the hell out of imports Abolish the federal reserve

I don't know if we need to completely abolish the Federal Reserve, but the books need to be completely open in the least.

The problem with getting out of trade agreements is that it's going to tick off many countries. I think it's going to have to be a gradual increase in tariffs and not a shocking huge increase across the board. We are still in a global economy and we'd have to be careful in how it's done.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

3 is a good start but I don't think we can actually do anything meaningful until we cure ourselves of "money being debt" although my idea may overcome that if the Fed provided the funds to do this at 0 percent or near. .

I always thought a good starting place to fix our economy is solving the mortgage mess. It's pretty obvious that mortgages are unenforcable toilet paper at this point for anyone willing to fight properly. That said people did take the debt so they should have some responsibility. I think both sides need to meet in the middle.

The middle I would like to see is to have the government simply buy all the outstanding mortgages. They can pay 100% of face value to the investors in these mortgages. Thus the investors will be made whole and the banks get away without any liabilities to these investors. The governement will also need the banks to service the loans so they don't lose this biz, it just may not be quite as lucrative as it is currently. These investors will now have several trillion dollars they will need to reinvest somewhere else. If we go to protective trade rules then these funds will logically be reinvested in American productivity. Increased American economic activity will mean increased profits, an increased wage base and increased taxes to the government helping to solve the deficit.

On the homeowner side the government now owns everyone's mortgage. The first thing they do is start forgiving prinicipal for those underwater up to 30% of what is owned. They refinance the balance at 5% over 30 years. Over the 30 years the governement will collect 135% of the original note amount. Thus this program will not mean losses or any other taxpayer having to susidize this program. For those who aren't underwater and have less than 30 years remaining to pay, refinancing would be on a sliding scale. Lop 1% of principal forgiveness off for each year remaining on the mortgage. Some may scream unfair, but the reality is that everyone will be covering the cost of the forgiveness themselves and not relying on anyone else at the end of thirty years the program settles with everything getting paid back.

You wuill also have the issue of defaults and people that want to move. As part of this program homeowners would be signing new loan documents so you could build in pretty strict enforcable rules on defaults with quick foreclosures. You would also have to force continuation of the loans on the properties. Thus if one wanted to sell, or buy out of foreclosure, part of the purchase would be the assumption of the refinanced note. Proceeds in excess of this would be kept by the homeowner.

I really think this is best way for for us to escape from this economic reality. No one would really have to be any worse off as a result of this type of action with the exception of some hedge funds who may get beat up on derivatives. Pretty much everyone gains. Even those who don't own a home will be aided by the increase in economic activity.

You have my permisiion to send this idea to your elected represenatives. it is about time we started to take some sane proactive actions to get ourselves out of this mess.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I would have to go with 3. We fight. We increase tariffs on imports and lower taxes to small businesses....with no exemptions...whether they are an American based company or not. If an item is shipped to the US...there is a tax slapped on it...and much higher tax than the average 2 percent we now use. This would give American small businesses a chance to grow into larger companies...thus being able to hire more american workers and give them a decent wage and hopefully pull this country out of the gutter....and at the same time help curb our deficit. This will cause inflation...not by debt...but through taxes. Things will definitely cost more...but at the rate prices are inflating now this would be a better solution. If we take this path we'd be working to make ourselves more self efficient and we could begin to make our own strong, PURELY AMERICAN Large businesses. Basically...we start to rebuild....and with doing that we will make some countries upset with our actions of getting out of free trade agreements. This road is definitelly NOT easy...it will be tough. Our way of life will also have to change and sacrifices will have to be made.

Bring all american troops home and secure our borders
Repeal N.A.F.T.A. and C.A.F.T.A.
Abolish the federal reserve
Deport Illegal Ailiens (all of them - no amnesty or excuses)
Start drilling in the gulf and Alaska for the oil we already know is there and seriously looking at the shale oil in the Dakotas(?)
Restore to working order the Hydro-Electric dams around the country that have been decommissioned (I can name 20 in small towns in Michigan alone)

Possibly follow the solution proposed here:
www.lincolncountywatch.org...

Buy localy produced goods and services where ever possible.
This would be a start.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I am new and this is my first post; sorry about not making an introduction but I had to jump in here with you guys on this one. First David love the post man, and RRokkyy's additions are great. I only disagree on the military spending. I am sure that our overseas allies will be at best unhappy with the lost income, not to mention regulating our borders. We certainly need to reassess our mission statement and have the military act with thought and compassion, not as blunt instrument as we have unfortunately been used as before. In all it would take time and fair minded just people to make the whole plan work, but just brilliant thoughts guys, I can definitely appreciate a direction like that.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Corporations here in the US are already importing engineers and other highly skilled workers. I am against a lot of imported workers here unless American workers are not going to be displaced by foreigners who are willing to work for a lot less in these more highly skilled jobs. I read stories about highly skilled workers here getting fired only to be replaced by foreigners willing to work cheap and one company didn't even wait for the displaced Americans to leave the company.

I'm not rich or a CEO or anything like that but if I were going to start up a company that required hundreds of workers and someone was going to tax me at 95%, I don't know why I would choose to stay in this oountry.

How many born in the US natives want to go work as farm hands doing hard manual labor jobs? I believe that number is a very small percentage. Immigrants don't seem to mind doing these hard manual labor jobs. We need people to pick our crops or a lot of food will rot in the fields. I believe illegal immigrants are willing to pay US taxes and willing to work out some payment plan or do military or other services to eventually become legal. I think we should let them contribute but pay more in penalties or service than if they came here legally.
edit on 11-3-2011 by orionthehunter because: Added last paragraph.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Corporations here in the US are already importing engineers and other highly skilled workers.

The last company I worked for, a profitable company with over 400 employees, decided to relocate to Mexico....just for the sake of increasing profits to boost stocks for shareholders. It was the only reason it was done. Everyone at my factory lost their job...although they had the option to MOVE TO MEXICO and still stay with the company which virtually no one did. I actually had to train my replacement who didn't speak a lick of English. I even had a translator with me at all times. They were going to pay him less than 2 dollars an hour...but I had to do it or risk the chance of losing my job and hence unemployment benefits and a 1000 bonus if I stayed till my end date. I had to have a buffer till I could find another job. I'd also like to add that my former workplace was NOT in a union. We never fought for anything there. They treated us well. our plant manager actually cried as he told all 400 of us at the same time that we were losing our jobs...he was losing his also as well.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Thank you for this post. It's about time someone speaks up for our country. I would choose 3, for sure. But we as Americans would have to do this on our own as there appears to be no real leadership. Our president doesn't stand up for America and today is all about Japan. I think Americans are going to have to be resourceful and creative, come up with unique ideas as we've done in the past. People have been forced to come up with ways to make money by themselves and they have, be it a small, silly idea like the rubber thingies in animal shapes that kids love; inexpensive but fun and feasible. Be creative and collaborate with friends on ideas and maybe start making your own ideas and going to craft fairs and selling, get a feel for what works and possibly take it online. The internet is a wonderful resource and even selling things on Ebay to start. Something is better than nothing!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Our economy has failed us how many times..? and you want to rebuild it ..why?

This economy...or really the old economy before it changed....had the strongest middle class the world has ever seen in it's history.

If done right...it's absolutely worth rebuilding. (with some modifications of course)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join