It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One third of Americans now live off the Government dole.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
An investment research group has released a study that reveals that one third of all Americans are living off of incomes provided primarily by the government. This means that a third of the people in America are living off the wages redistributed to them by the other two thirds who work hard in the private sector for their money.

Study: Gov't. Payouts Are a third of U.S. "Income"

If it sometimes feels like almost everyone is on the government dole except you, there may be a reason for that sensation: According to a recent study one-third of all income in the United States comes in various forms of “social welfare benefits.”

The trend toward a growing proportion of the population relying on government programs instead of labor for its income has been an observable phenomena since at least the days President Johnson’s “Great Society” programs were initiated in the mid-1960s. Now, however, the percentage of income received from the government is equal to half of all income received from working for a living, and federal and state budget deficits are metastasizing as politicians whose reelection depends on giving away “other people’s money” find themselves running out of working citizens to tax.

As reported by CNBC, the study by TrimTabs Investment Research revealed that “Government payouts — including Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance — make up more than a third of total wages and salaries of the U.S. population, a record figure that will only increase if action isn’t taken before the majority of Baby Boomers enter retirement.”

In a sense, given a federal deficit which has soared past the $14 trillion mark, the fact that one-third of American “income” is actually redistributed from someone else really should not be all that surprising. Polite fictions about Social Security “lockboxes,” for example, never entirely concealed the simple fact that every “government payout” of the type described in the TrimTabs study is a form of income redistribution. If the goal had actually been to encourage Americans to save for their retirement or possible disability, there were far more effective and efficient means that could have been utilized. But the expansion of such redistribution is now accelerating at a rate that now threatens to devour the economy.

The New American

With the recession running on and unemployment always threatening, not to mention the HUGE mass of baby boomers set to retire soon, how long before this whole system collapses?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I wonder how they take into consideration children

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Ah, but before you start to throw insults at those poor people take a minute to consider who brought about the conditions that forced them onto the dole in the first place? I always find it amazing how the government (of any country) finds itself able to turn those who are in work against those who have been forced onto the dole by government policies... They villiefy the unemployed and try to get those who have work to hate those out of work yet they never acknowledge who created the conditions that took away their jobs in the first place... If I hear one more politician refer to an unemployed man or woman as a scrounger or layabout one more time I may just run amok with a meat cleaver. If I hear one more stupid politician talk about the disabled, single mothers, pensioners or foreigners being the problem for why the country, and world, is in such termoil I may just break into a tattoo studio, steal the tattooists needle and ink and go about writing, "Its the bankers fault we're in the sh*t", on their foreheads just so every morning when they get up and look in the mirror they don't forget it!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

The recession was purposely orchestrated to try and destroy the middle class , Small or family businesses are nearly all finished , our countries spend billions on bombing and killing the poor but with the middle class they have to be more subtle .

They want people to be on the dole as they know you can barely survive on it .

Stop the war and spend the money on improving our countries quality of life !

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Ummm, Is social security considered being on the dole? I thought people paid into that, I certainly have seen it taken out of my paycheck for the last thirty years. So, when I get my money back that's considered being on the dole? When I cash out my 401k am I on the dole?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
An investment research group has released a study that reveals that one third of all Americans are living off of incomes provided primarily by the government. This means that a third of the people in America are living off the wages redistributed to them by the other two thirds who work hard in the private sector for their money.

So are you saying that none of the Government Employees work hard or perform necessary functions or just some?

I can tell you Soldiers are working very hard for their little pensions those enlisting now only get 40% of their base pay after 20 years of service. That is for risking your life and for sacrificing a good many freedoms other take for granted during the youngest and usually the best years of one's life.

I get 60% of my base pay after 24 years because I came in under different rules. That's about 3800.00 a month for the record - there are a whopping 480k retirees in most retire at E7 which is about 1500 a month or less depending on the pay at the time you retired. Not an extravagant lifestyle IMO. I know that the DoD civilians have a similar plan to the Military – it’s not a lot.

Now politicians on the other hand, serve one -two terms and get like 90% of their 175k for life because you know having to live in DC and go to parties and 5000.00 a plate diner at 5 star restaurants is taxing. - that is obscene. It would be neato to be able to vote for one's own pay and benefits wouldn't it?

Now the real waste in the system is the 3-4 generations of freeloaders living off welfare and medicade never lifting a finger to contribute – yeah they don’t get a lot and I could never live off what they do but I earned my pay at least.

You can of course disagree.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
One thing this article fails to take into account is that all of that money spent on those on government assistance doesn't come out of the pockets of those working in the private sector. A lot of the money spent on those social programs comes from money borrowed from the Federal Reserve Bank.

True, over one third of incomes in America comes from the government but, that doesn't mean that all of that money came out of the pockets of those still in the workforce. Most of the money supporting those on the govt dole probably came from out of thin air when the Fed created it to lend to the government.

The peopel of America may be increasingly earning their livings off of the government dole but, the government is becoming increasingly dependant of living off the Bankers dole in order to continue to fulfill its obligations to its citizens.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Study: Gov't. Payouts Are a third of U.S. "Income"

If it sometimes feels like almost everyone is on the government dole except you, there may be a reason for that sensation: According to a recent study one-third of all income in the United States comes in various forms of “social welfare benefits.”

The trend toward a growing proportion of the population relying on government programs instead of labor for its income has been an observable phenomena since at least the days President Johnson’s “Great Society” programs were initiated in the mid-1960s. Now, however, the percentage of income received from the government is equal to half of all income received from working for a living, and federal and state budget deficits are metastasizing as politicians whose reelection depends on giving away “other people’s money” find themselves running out of working citizens to tax.

As reported by CNBC, the study by TrimTabs Investment Research revealed that “Government payouts — including Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance — make up more than a third of total wages and salaries of the U.S. population, a record figure that will only increase if action isn’t taken before the majority of Baby Boomers enter retirement.”

In a sense, given a federal deficit which has soared past the $14 trillion mark, the fact that one-third of American “income” is actually redistributed from someone else really should not be all that surprising. Polite fictions about Social Security “lockboxes,” for example, never entirely concealed the simple fact that every “government payout” of the type described in the TrimTabs study is a form of income redistribution. If the goal had actually been to encourage Americans to save for their retirement or possible disability, there were far more effective and efficient means that could have been utilized. But the expansion of such redistribution is now accelerating at a rate that now threatens to devour the economy.

The New American

With the recession running on and unemployment always threatening, not to mention the HUGE mass of baby boomers set to retire soon, how long before this whole system collapses?

Well, if the ultra-wealthy didn't hoard all the money (aka economic control), then there wouldn't be such a need for "handouts".

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doomzilla
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

They want people to be on the dole as they know you can barely survive on it .

Are you joking? I was at the discount grocery store today and in the checkout line in front of me a lady and I guess her mom had two completely full carts of groceries....total of 462.00 worth of food and of course the daughter whips out a food stamp debit card to pay for the mountain of food. And here I am a self employed construction contractor who can barely make a living anymore buying 23 dollars of food to last all week. And as I was walking back out to the parking lot I noticed they had a hell of lot nicer car than I have too.

This country is stupid and rotten to the core. Our political leadership is a direct reflection of their constituents.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lellomackin
Ummm, Is social security considered being on the dole? I thought people paid into that, I certainly have seen it taken out of my paycheck for the last thirty years. So, when I get my money back that's considered being on the dole? When I cash out my 401k am I on the dole?

Correct! While you are in work you pay money to the social security so that those less fortunate than you can at least feed their children and get by, but let government policies take away your job and force you to put in a claim then your looked down on and felt to feel inferior and a scrounger!
Doesn't matter what country you hail from, or what you do/did for a living, your government wants a certain percentage of the population on the dole so they can control those out of work while threatening those in work by saying that if they don't take pay cuts and accept disgraceful working conditions then they will be fired and end up on welfare like those ridiculed and insulted on the television news every day... In my last job I was told if I didn't agree to work the Saturday for normal pay instead of time and a half I would be sacked because- there's plenty on the dole who would love your job! The system is designed to have the haves and have nots pointing the finger at one another, and blaming one another for all of lifes ills without realising that it is those in charge, the elite, who have brought about the circumstances which have created the world we live in. Its a disgrace and the sooner we wake up to how we are being manipulated by our leaders the better.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
How misleading.

First of all, if you pay into SS, you are getting YOUR OWN money back. It's not other people supporting you.

Second of all, unemployment is paid for from a special fund that comes from EMPLOYERS not other people supporting you.

So, saying 1/3rd of people are being supported by the other 2/3rds is a flat out LIE. Lying is awesome, thanks!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
How misleading.

First of all, if you pay into SS, you are getting YOUR OWN money back. It's not other people supporting you.

Second of all, unemployment is paid for from a special fund that comes from EMPLOYERS not other people supporting you.

So, saying 1/3rd of people are being supported by the other 2/3rds is a flat out LIE. Lying is awesome, thanks!

Yes, thank you, someone got the point. It is a little bit of a Ponzi scheme in my opinion, but when I take SS when I retire I would not consider it dole (or unemployment as we call it in the US)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Those of you who truly believe you've paid as much into SS as you will take out do not understand math.

Say you've made 20K/year for 40 years and that it has always been taxed at the current rate (hasn't of course, the rate has risen over time). Current rate is 6.2% with the employer making a matching contribution.

20,000 x 40 = 800,000 x 12.4% = 99,200... sounds like a lot right?

Say your monthly payment is $800/month; that only gives you 124 months which is just over 10 years.

Wasn't a bad plan when they set it up if you can believe that infinite population growth is possible, ya know... like debt. They counted on there always being significantly more people working than were retired and, they counted on you dying after only 7 - 10 years of retirement (at the time, people weren't living as long).

What I want to know is what portion of the remaining 67% work for the government (municipal, state, federal). Then we get a truer picture of the burden the rest of us are carrying.

To Fort Anthem:

I'd much rather figure out a way to pay the bill or even cut the bill than have the government borrowing for these programs because of the added interest cost. Of course we could just default... that would be interesting.
edit on 11-3-2011 by Scalded Frog because: typo

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scalded Frog
Those of you who truly believe you've paid as much into SS as you will take out do not understand math.

And you don't understand the concept of compound interest. If someone took all the money they ever paid into SS, and put it in a long term high interest savings account (which is basically what SS should be) it would be MUCH more than the total amount that you paid into it.

Now, I'm not saying that 100% of people get back exactly what they put in. Some people get more, some people get less. Fact is, you still pay into, and some people come out ahead with SS, others come out behind. Unless there is some actual study done somewhere that shows what percent of people on SS take out more than they put in (WITH compound interest factoring in) then making the claim of the OP is still without merit.
edit on 12-3-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Every dollar someone borrows the bank takes a little bit of everyone elses moneys value.

(Stop. let it sink in)

They do this through inflation because they do not lend their money - they create it out of thin air. And give it to the borrower - who they then charge interest to.

(Stop. let it sink in.)

They steal your money's value to loan to others and in turn make themself more money.

(Stop. let it sink in.)

A bank only has to have about 1/10th of the wealth they lend. So a bank can take $10 lend it to another bank and create $100 that bank can then use that $100 to loan back to the first bank to create $1000
(Stop. let it sink in.)

The borrower then can lend that money and charge interest on it - interest which does not exist in the system because only the initial loan was created - therefore with all this lending we end up with a lot more debt from the intrest than there is money in the system.

(Stop. let it sink in.)

Facts
====
- There is less than $4 Trillion in the US system in circulation, but $14 Trillion debt - how can it be repaid?

- The wealthiest 1% of Americans own more wealth than =

ALL of the wealth of ALL of the MIDDLE class
+
ALL of the wealth of ALL of the LOWER class
+
ALL of the wealth of the bottom HALF of the UPPER class

- The bottom 20 percent basically have zero wealth. They either have no assets, or their debt equals or exceeds their assets. The bottom 20 percent has typically accumulated no savings.

-There is also another measure called the Gini coefficient. It measures the concentration of wealth at different percentile levels, and does an overall computation. It is an index that goes from zero to one, one being the most unequal. Wealth inequality in the United States has a Gini coefficient of .82, which is pretty close to the maximum level of inequality you can have.

Source

HATE THE GAME NOT THE PLAYERS - IT DOESNT MATTER HOW MANY PLAYERS YOU HAVE IF YOU KEEP PLAYING MONOPOLY EVENTUALLY ONLY 1 PERSON WILL WIN - hard work just increases your chance but inevitably 99.99*% must lose
edit on 12-3-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-3-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Count Chocula

No I'm not joking , and bear in mind I am not married and dont have kids .
The case you talk of is based on different circumstances .
The welfare system is #ed but a few people are able to exploit it .

I hope you understand .

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
i have worked all my life. now i am 50 and paid into the S.S system for over 30 years i have received nothing from it and have no expectations of ever getting anything out. now my sister is 53 years old never held a job yet has been drawing S.S since she was 18 she is perfectly normal and healthy. i realize some people need help but when its easier to let somebody else take care of you than work ? if we didnt have these programs i can assure you my sister would have found a job 35 years ago.
our system is broken.

new topics

top topics

join