It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep meds getting scarce?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Golf66

I can't take Ambien either. I am one of those people who blacks out on it. I'd take one, black out, and then remain awake for hours - apparently very buzzed and unaware - often taking more Ambien.

One night I took 16 of them, woke up the next day with my hear cut in half... Went to get stitches and threw away the Ambien.

~Heff

Woa! That's weird - hell sometimes I take them and it doesn't even make me sleep though the night. I am trying Ambien CR to see if that will work. That is the 20 mg pill too.

However, I have to say I do have an unusual metabolism or something because I have to take like two - three times the dose of anything to get an effect. One doctor couldn't believe how much Versed (MIDAZOLAM - INJECTION) he had to give me for a procedure for me to become unaware of what he was doing. He commented after that he never had to give anyone so much.

I also had a hard time getting drunk in my younger years - it cost me so much to get drunk that I never was a real partier.

I broke my neck on a HALO jump years ago and was taking a huge dose of oxycontin (Dr said it was the same some cancer patients were taking at the end of thier life.) - it took me forever to shake that crap; I know why junkies stay addicted. I now refuse to take narcotics becasue of that experiance - I would hate to get physically adicted to anything again.

I never felt like I craved it or sought out the "high" but the shakes and vomiting of tapering it off was excruciating.

Anyway the Doctor’s have said that some people just filter out things differently than others.

edit on 11/3/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Did you lose count or something?
Sometimes I forget if I took them yet, that's the worst because you don't want to double up but you also don't want to be up all friggin night.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Well its a good idea not to take it then ive taken it for 6 years every night it sure helps my sleep but the onley thing is those darn munchies i get right after takeing the pill..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1

Well its a good idea not to take it then ive taken it for 6 years every night it sure helps my sleep but the onley thing is those darn munchies i get right after takeing the pill..

Yep, unfortunately that is the only side effect I have experianced - it hits like 30 minutes after taking the pill. I ate a whole apple pie once. Once a whole box of captain crunch...its always sweets too it seems.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by frugal
reply to post by snowspirit

Hi! Taking a Calcium suppliment at bed time can lead to waking up with the leg cramps of agonizing proportions...
Try meletonin for becomming sleepy. It's an herb?

I didn't know that. I take a tums before bed every night, and they're calcium, mostly. I wonder if taking a magnesium would prevent the leg cramps?

Well, now I know if I start to get any of them, what it's from

I have noticed that they dehydrate me.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

I don't know if "lost count" applies as I was always blacked out after taking the first one. It was common, apparently (I later found out from my ex who lived with me at the time) for me to "go back to the well" 2 or 3 times after my first dose. But, just as with an above poster - I have a high tolerance to pills for some reason - so she never worried). I honestly don't ever recall taking more than the first one though.

They made me feel euphoric which probably combined with the lack of judgment and memory - making me take more than one. But I honestly don't know for sure. I just know I can't take them anymore. Never been a drug person and when I found out I'd been abusing the Ambien, I quit cold turkey.

It might help to note that I also have narcotic pain and anxiety medication prescribed to me, and have had for years, and have never abused it. In fact I rarely touch these meds even though I could, by doctors orders, take several of each per day. I only take them once in a blue moon when they are sorely needed.

~Heff

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Natural ways to fall asleep: Count backwards from 300. Put a fish tank/ bowl on the night stand and watch the fish, buy a night light, grab your furry dog and cuddle, drink hot chocolate, milk, or tea. Turn on laptop, read ats archeology with the covers pulled over your head. The warm computer, laptop fan noise, detailed conversations and carbon monoxide of being under the covers will put you out.... works for me.
Also try to go to bed and get up on a ridgid consitent schedual.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by frugal
reply to post by snowspirit

Hi! Taking a Calcium suppliment at bed time can lead to waking up with the leg cramps of agonizing proportions...
Try meletonin for becomming sleepy. It's an herb?

Best leg cramp remedy ever, better than bannanas/ potasium.
Push down on center of upper lip, it's a pressure point for calf muscle, weird but it works.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Melatonin is a hormone, and as such should not be taken frequently or you risk shutting down natural production. You can alternate with tryptophan, which is a precursor to melatonin. There are also herbal alternatives, but anyone having continued difficulties sleeping really needs to restructure their life. One of the simplest aids to sleep is eating absolutely nothing 4 hours before bed. It's also a simple way to lose weight and get a higher quality of sleep.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I set my pills up in a pill box that have a date on on each one so i dont mess up i take the 20 mil and there stong i wouldnt want to mess up thats for sure~~

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rapscallion
reply to post by frugal

Melatonin is a hormone, and as such should not be taken frequently or you risk shutting down natural production. You can alternate with tryptophan, which is a precursor to melatonin. There are also herbal alternatives, but anyone having continued difficulties sleeping really needs to restructure their life. One of the simplest aids to sleep is eating absolutely nothing 4 hours before bed. It's also a simple way to lose weight and get a higher quality of sleep.

Melatonin, it only takes me one pill to have my internal clock reset when I travel to UK or Ireland.
That's what I bought it for. The first time I went to England I never did feel normal for the two weeks I was there.
I was always waking up and falling asleep at the wrong times and hungry at the wrong times. It was
hard to stay awake until 7 pm dinner. Then I would wake up at 1 am over there starving. Melatonin definitely was a help on getting me straightened out on the next visit over there immediately. Eating nothing before bed when you are starving makes it really hard to go to sleep. I would stop doing that and then your sleep problems would stop occurring.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
Just buy the store brand of the benedryl type drug. It's just diphenhydramine. I have "Rite Aid Allergy Medication" right here..."Antihistamine diphenhydramine HCI .25 mg" 200 tablet bottle cost me about 5 or 6 USD.

I take 2 almost every night and sleep fine.

I do the Exact same thing. I take 2 at bedtime and will sleep a solid 8 + hours with no disturbances. And they are cheap. You get 100 of them for just a few bucks. And they don't have long term negative effects like regular sleeping pills do.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
You guys might want to look into medical cannabis if you are having trouble sleeping,

Anything you get otc or prescription is going to contain poison.

The system will only lead you into cancer or an early death,

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I work at a drug store and honestly haven't noticed. I notice many people buying tons of melatonin and this "natuiral sleep aid" stuff though. I prefer melatonin because it doesn't make me drowsy but sometimes it gives me really vivid dreams not nightmares but just vivid dreams. I don't like taking to often because of that. I don't really like dreaming...lol

top topics

<< 1   >>

join