It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Scientists have developed a programmable "molecular robot" -- a sub-microscopic molecular machine made of synthetic DNA that moves between track locations separated by 6nm. The robot, a short strand of DNA, follows instructions programmed into a set of fuel molecules determining its destination, for example, to turn left or right at a junction in the track. The report, which represents a step toward futuristic nanomachines and nanofactories, appears in ACS's Nano Letters.
Andrew Turberfield and colleagues point out that other scientists have developed similar DNA-based robots, which move autonomously. Some of these use a biped design and move by alternately attaching and detaching themselves from anchor points along the DNA track, foot over foot, when fuel is added. Scientists would like to program DNA robots to autonomously walk in different directions to move in a programmable pattern, a key to harnessing their potential as cargo-carrying molecular machines.
Originally posted by buni11687
Tech seems to be coming out faster and faster these days.
* ACTUV - A project to build an unmanned Anti-submarine warfare vessel.
* ArcLight (Missile) - Ship based weapon system that is capable of striking targets nearly anywhere on the globe that is based on sm-3 missile
* Boeing X-37
* Integrated Sensor is Structure
* Boomerang (mobile shooter detection system) - an acoustic Gunshot Location Detection System developed by BBN Technologies for detecting snipers on military combat vehicles.
* CALO or "Cognitive Assistant that Learns and Organizes" - software
* Combat Zones That See - "track everything that moves" in a city by linking up a massive network of surveillance cameras
* DARPA XG - technology for Dynamic Spectrum Access for assured military communications
* EATR An autonomous tactical robotic system
* High Energy Liquid Laser Area Defense System
* High Productivity Computing Systems
* Hulc Battery-powered human exoskeleton
* MAHEM Molten penetrating munition
* Mind's Eye - A visual intelligence system capable of detecting and analysing activity from video feeds.
* Northrop Grumman Switchblade - an unmanned oblique-wing flying aircraft for high speed, long range and long endurance flight
* Persistent Close Air Support
* Protein Design Processes
* Proto 2 - a thought-controlled prosthetic arm
* Remote-controlled insects
* DARPA Silent Talk - A planned program attempting to identify EEG patterns for words and transmit these for covert communications.
* SyNAPSE - Systems of Neuromorphic Adaptive Plastic Scalable Electronics
* System F6 - Fractionated Spacecraft demonstrator
* XOS - powered military exoskeleton
* Transformer - flying armoured car
This list of currently emerging technologies contains some of the most prominent ongoing developments, advances, and innovations in various fields of modern technology. Emerging technologies are those technical innovations which represent progressive developments within a field for competitive advantage. Opinions vary on the feasibility, importance, status, and economic viability of different emerging technologies.