It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will March 19th 2011 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I found this article that could explain a few things in terms of the latest Japan disaster. It is said the moon is going to be closer to earth for the first time in 18 years and may cause gravitational pulls on earth, here is a quote from an article made a day before the 8.9 richter scale event of Japan.

Will March 19 'Supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

news.yahoo.com...

On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet.

Richard Nolle, a noted astrologer who runs the website astropro.com, has famously termed the upcoming full moon at lunar perigee (the closest approach during its orbit) an "extreme supermoon."

When the moon goes super-extreme, Nolle says, chaos will ensue: Huge storms, earthquakes, volcanoes and other natural disasters can be expected to wreak havoc on Earth. (It should be noted that astrology is not a real science, but merely makes connections between astronomical and mystical events.)

But do we really need to start stocking survival shelters in preparation for the supermoon? [Photos: Our Changing Moon]

The question is not actually so crazy. In fact scientists have studied related scenarios for decades. Even under normal conditions, the moon is close enough to Earth to make its weighty presence felt: It causes the ebb and flow of the ocean tides.

The moon's gravity can even cause small but measureable ebbs and flows in the continents, called "land tides" or "solid Earth tides," too. The tides are greatest during full and new moons, when the sun and moon are aligned either on the same or opposite sides of the Earth.

According to John Vidale, a seismologist at the University of Washington in Seattle and director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, particularly dramatic land and ocean tides do trigger earthquakes. "Both the moon and sun do stress the Earth a tiny bit, and when we look hard we can see a very small increase in tectonic activity when they're aligned," Vidale told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to SPACE.com.

At times of full and new moons, "you see a less-than-1-percent increase in earthquake activity, and a slightly higher response in volcanoes."

The effect of tides on seismic activity is greatest in subduction zones such as the Pacific Northwest, where one tectonic plate is sliding under another. William Wilcock, another seismologist at the University of Washington, explained: "When you have a low tide, there's less water, so the pressure on the seafloor is smaller. That pressure is clamping the fault together, so when it's not there, it makes it easier for the fault to slip."

According to Wilcock, earthquake activity in subduction zones at low tides is 10 percent higher than at other times of the day, but he hasn't observed any correlations between earthquake activity and especially low tides at new and full moons. Vidale has observed only a very small correlation.

What about during a lunar perigee? Can we expect more earthquakes and volcanic eruptions on March 19, when the full moon will be so close?

The moon's gravitational pull at lunarperigee, the scientists say, is not different enough from its pull at other times to significantly change the height of the tides and thus the likelihood of natural disasters. [Infographic: Phases of the Moon Explained]

"A lot of studies have been done on this kind of thing by USGS scientists and others," John Bellini, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey, told Life's Little Mysteries. "They haven't found anything significant at all."

Vidale concurred. "Practically speaking, you'll never see any effect of lunar perigee," he said. "It's somewhere between 'It has no effect' and 'It's so small you don't see any effect.'"

The bottom line is, the upcoming supermoon won't cause a preponderance of earthquakes, although the idea isn't a crazy one.

"Earthquakes don't respond as much to the tides as you'd think they would. There should actually be more of an effect," said Vidale.

Most natural disasters have nothing to do with the moon at all. The Earth has a lot of pent up energy, and it releases it anytime the buildup gets too great. The supermoon probably won't push it past the tipping point, but we'll know for sure, one way or the other, by March 20.

This story was provided by Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site of SPACE.com.

Text

Also to add since the two go hand in hand,

Luke 21
The Destruction of the Temple and Signs of the End Times

10 Then he said to them: “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 11 There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven.

25 “There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26 People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

Text

It seems we can observe the stars and the sun and the moon more closely than before ever in history so if we do see some event be is luna or solar we know by undertsanding that it could effect the earth and its people in a big way and no doubt how many people on ATS today speak about the heavenly bodies effecting our earth today.
edit on 11-3-2011 by The time lord because: added link

edit on 11-3-2011 by The time lord because: spelling

edit on 11-3-2011 by The time lord because: added title

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
and we all though that nibiru was lost somewhere in the univers

NIBIRU IS THE MOON

nobody though of that before ?

edit on 3/11/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
did we have an earthquake 18 years ago when the moon was that close?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Wow, check this out what happened 18 years ago... Global Earthquakes in 1993

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I really don't know what happened 18 years ago but will check, it could be that the earth is a bit weaker now and all this is causing extra stress on it.

The only earthquake I can find for 1993 is from India,
en.wikipedia.org...

Thu Feb 17, 8:47 am ET
Solar flares slamming into Earth’s magnetic field

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Alvx_zgFPSEQB2vtaeRjV8ms0NUE;_ylu=X3o'___'Uya2ltMDFtBGF zc2V0A3libG9nX3RoZWxvb2tvdXQvMjAxMTAyMTcvc29sYXItZmxhcmVzLXNsYW1taW5nLWludG8tZWFydGhzLW1hZ25ldGljLWZpZWxkBGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDOARwb3MDNQRwd ANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA3NvbGFyZmxhcmVzcw--

Three "coronal mass ejections" from the sun are slamming into the earth's magnetic shield today and tomorrow, the BBC reports. The most powerful solar flares in four years have already reportedly disrupted radio communications in China.

The flares may make the Northern Lights visible farther south than usual, scientists say, and disrupt power grids and other communications systems.

Text

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Iv done a lil reading into this and in all honesty im still not sure what will happen. On one hand you have people saying it could cause serious natural disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis and on the other you have people saying it could just slightly affect tidal movements.

if i were you id wait and see.. its not that long away and when the 19th comes you will have the answer to your question
edit on 11-3-2011 by Predator90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mbaker90

1993 looks so tame to what is happening to these last years, the damage today is much worse than those days it seems and will carry on setting records which ever type of disaster happens next.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Predator90
Iv done a lil reading into this and in all honesty im still not sure what will happen. On one hand you have people saying it could cause serious natural disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis and on the other you have people saying it could just slightly affect tidal movements.

if i were you id wait and see.. its not that long away and when the 19th comes you will have the answer to your question

Then again it could all be speculation and be thrown into the forget box like the rest of the ATS predictions that never happened. I found it interesting only because of the recent events and the how the moon could rub in more salt in the wound.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mbaker90

Nice find. Very intersting to see Japan had a 7+.

I wonder if India will experience a big one soon? I hope not.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord

Originally posted by Predator90

Then again it could all be speculation and be thrown into the forget box like the rest of the ATS predictions that never happened. I found it interesting only because of the recent events and the how the moon could rub in more salt in the wound.

I agree , it does seem strange to me that these natural disasters are occurring as we draw closer to the super-moon.

The hurricane in Australia, the earthquake in new zealand and now the massive earth quake and tsunami in japan. There might be a cuase behind these events..?? maybe the super-moon or maybe mother earth is just on a bit of a wild one this month.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I think I'll agree with these sentiments ;

"A lot of studies have been done on this kind of thing by USGS scientists and others," John Bellini, a geophysicist at the U.S. Geological Survey, told Life's Little Mysteries. "They haven't found anything significant at all."

The tectonic plates are prone to move for geological reasons with or without the influence of the moon, although the gravitional effects of the moon affect the tides I don't see a link here, just coincidence.
The double sun witnessed in China does indeed now seem a portent of doom. www.abovetopsecret.com...
My sympathies are with a country that indeed has experienced a true apocolypse.
edit on 12-3-2011 by digitalf because: typo

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Please add your comments to the existing thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join