It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the recent earthquake in Japan uncover more structures off the coast?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I know I probably shouldn't be thinking about this at a time like this, but I'm really interested in finding out more about the underwater structures off the coast of Japan. IWith as many earthquakes that happen in the region, maybe more of the structures will be uncovered, or maybe they will be re-covered. It will be interesting to see what this earthquake and tsunami will have done to the underwater landscape around Japan.

Japan's Ancient Underwater "Pyramid" Mystifies Scholars

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
well, since the earthquake was pretty devastating, i wouldn't be surprised if it destroyed any ancient underwater "cities" if they exist. There wasn't one earth quake but many strong after shocks..

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by theibbsta

Certainly these structures have endured many similar events in the past. It's just now a matter if more will be uncovered or more will be covered up?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Those structures must have put up with a great deal. The ancients knew how to build to last, just look at the meso-american cultures with their irregularly fitting stone walls, built to withstand earthquakes. I think they will be safe. Pity the same cant be said for the poor Japanese.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Learningman
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Those structures must have put up with a great deal. The ancients knew how to build to last, just look at the meso-american cultures with their irregularly fitting stone walls, built to withstand earthquakes. I think they will be safe. Pity the same cant be said for the poor Japanese.

No ancients built that formation.

It even says so right there in the OP's source.

Harte

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
I know I probably shouldn't be thinking about this at a time like this

yup your right, a tad insensitive to say the least

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I know I probably shouldn't be thinking about this at a time like this, but I'm really interested in finding out more about the underwater structures off the coast of Japan. IWith as many earthquakes that happen in the region, maybe more of the structures will be uncovered, or maybe they will be re-covered. It will be interesting to see what this earthquake and tsunami will have done to the underwater landscape around Japan.

No, the large fractured basalt blocks (as your source says they are... they're not a city (no windows, no doors, etc.)) haven't changed much with the earthquakes. They can crack and shatter with earthquakes, but I sort of expect the same kind of "plane of cleaving" (straight square chips being knocked off) if any changes have happened.

In that area the Pacific plate is diving under another plate, and there isn't any basalt flowing up out of the cracks there at this time. So right now, no new structures are being formed.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
No, the large fractured basalt blocks (as your source says they are... they're not a city (no windows, no doors, etc.)) haven't changed much with the earthquakes. They can crack and shatter with earthquakes, but I sort of expect the same kind of "plane of cleaving" (straight square chips being knocked off) if any changes have happened.

I agree, it is not likely to have been a city, but it does strongly resemble an ancient quarry site:

There are even rocks in the vicinity exhibiting quarry marks:

Which are virtually identical to ancient European quarry marks:

-Doug
edit on 3-12-2011 by Doug Fisher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

I know I probably shouldn't be thinking about this at a time like this

yup your right, a tad insensitive to say the least

Why is it insensitive? It's not. The earthquake caused the OP to think of something so what, how is that insensitive.

OP I dont see anything wrong with what you are asking.

I think the underwater pyramids off of Japan are pretty interesting. It would be cool to find something out there but I don't think it will happen.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I've heard reports that Japan had shifted 2 metres to the left because of the tectonic shift.

Otherwise, I wouldn't expect anything new to be uncovered.

top topics

join