It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 994.htm
<< 991  992  993    995  996  997 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
don't worry they will all have too leave anyway,,

can anyone say plague?

"In communities destroyed or damaged by the March 11th tsunami, flies are becoming a big problem. Swarms of flies are irritating residents who struggle to cleanup and rebuild their communities. The fly problem stems from the massive amounts of debris, wreckage and dead fish still littering the damaged coastal communities. In mid July, testing was done in several coastal communities, to see how bad the fly problem was. In the hard-hit city of Rikuzentakata, over 300 flies were caught in a trap within a span of just 20 minutes. In the devastated city of Kesennuma, the numbers were ten times that."

good ole mother nature,,wait till the radiated embryos start?????

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

New Arnie Gundersen Video

vimeo.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
reply to post by kdog1982

Ok. Picture 1. Curious damage to small building south of #4 The tower looks fine. The other taller buildings look fine..

Very interesting pics Aircooled! Very peculiar that only the tiny little building damaged. Is it on the ocean side? Tsunami damage? The roof appears to be intact.

Any idea where they set up the new SARRY decontamination system? The nightly fireworks seem to have slowed down a great deal since they announced the test run yesterday. Wonder if the lights were indicative of a 24/7 hell bent effort to deal with the highly radioactive water.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

- Purple Chive

edit on 1-8-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Highest radiation level monitored at stricken Japan nuclear plant

Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said more than 10 sieverts per hour of radiation was recorded on the surface of a pipe located outdoors between reactor 1 and reactor 2 at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, Jiji Press reported.

[url= www.monstersandcritics.com...]source[/ url]

Japanese rice to be tested for radioactive cesium

For rice, at least 14 prefectural governments in north and east Japan, which account for more than 40 percent of the country's total rice output, will test their rice before their harvest season to determine whether levels of cesium exceeds the safety standards, a farm ministry official said. If the level of cesium in rice exceeds the government-imposed cap of 500 becquerels per kilogram, shipments from locally produced rice will be halted, the official added.

source

Q+A: What's going on at Japan's crippled nuclear power plant?

On Monday, Tepco said it had also successfully reduced the temperature of the No. 4 spent fuel pool by more than 20 degrees Celsius to 63 degrees, a day after it activated a circulatory cooling system. It aims to bring down the pool's temperature to between 30 and 40 degrees. Before installing the new system, Tepco had cooled the No. 4 reactor spent fuel pool by injecting water from giant pump trucks. The spent fuel pool at the No. 1 reactor, the only remaining one without a circulatory cooling system, remains relatively unstable but Tepco is aiming to install a cooling system later this month.

source

Doubting Assurances, Japanese Find Radioactivity on Their Own

Local officials kept telling her that their remote village was safe, even though it was less than 20 miles from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. But her daughter remained dubious, especially since no one from the government had taken radiation readings near their home. So starting in April, Mrs. Okoshi began using her dosimeter to check nearby forest roads and rice paddies. What she found was startling. Near one sewage ditch, the meter beeped wildly, and the screen read 67 microsieverts per hour, a potentially harmful level. Mrs. Okoshi and a cousin who lives nearby worked up the courage to confront elected officials, who did not respond, confirming their worry that the government was not doing its job.
source

Consequences of a Meltdown: A Footnote

It turns out, though, that the differences in the number of estimated fatal cancers resulting from different analyses are fairly small. The largest difference is in the long-term cancer risk within a 50-mile radius if doses below 620 millirem are ignored. (In the manner of all things nuclear, the theory is about as complicated as can be imagined; if the exposure is 620 millirem, it is ignored; if it is 621 millirem or higher, the whole dose is counted, including the first 620 millirem.)
source
edit on 1-8-2011 by Human0815 because: add info

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

Highest radiation level monitored at stricken Japan nuclear plant

Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) said more than 10 sieverts per hour of radiation was recorded on the surface of a pipe located outdoors between reactor 1 and reactor 2 at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, Jiji Press reported.

[url= www.monstersandcritics.com...]source[/ url]

Q+A: What's going on at Japan's crippled nuclear power plant?

On Monday, Tepco said it had also successfully reduced the temperature of the No. 4 spent fuel pool by more than 20 degrees Celsius to 63 degrees, a day after it activated a circulatory cooling system. It aims to bring down the pool's temperature to between 30 and 40 degrees. Before installing the new system, Tepco had cooled the No. 4 reactor spent fuel pool by injecting water from giant pump trucks. The spent fuel pool at the No. 1 reactor, the only remaining one without a circulatory cooling system, remains relatively unstable but Tepco is aiming to install a cooling system later this month.

source

10 bucks says that 10 sievert pipe, is one of the roped, barricaded and signed off reactor basement pump feeds, like this one that's over south east roadway of #4. Wonder what the high levels of radiation would do to those pipes - prepare for more leak excuses >_>

That said, for once I've gotta give a measly sliver of thanks to tepco; they at least may have what's left of the #4 pool under some cooling control for now, if their gospel is to be believed. Reactor corium and UC is whats troubling me the most though... the ones we hear or know least about.

reply to post by Ektar

Hehehe can't forget tepconium or 'fubarium falls' as one member called them.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
more than 10 sieverts per hour of radiation was recorded on the surface of a pipe located outdoors between reactor 1 and reactor 2 at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, Jiji Press reported.

Wow. thats hard to believe. If a piece of rubble over 10 Sv/hr can be lying around in an exposed area that should have been checked and rechecked by now, what else is out there.

Over 10 Sv/hr, but no knowledge of how over. If only that piece of rubble could talk.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Help, Cecil, help!!!!!

I have tried everything I can find, gmms, spd downloader, VLC etc and can not get this to download without being 99% jumbled. But I know there is important stuff here cause one of the times I was streaming it turned clear wiuth a high rez picture of the 1/2 SY (old MB) that only flashed for a second then back to garbled. When I tried again this didnt happen, but it showed me that the potential for capturing this is possible. The brief shot I saw I think is confirmation of a blast emanating from the 1/2 SY, but it was too fast to be sure. It also shows shots of the 4 stack and southend complex. I desperately need to see this vid.

This video represents as far as I know the only early high resolution shots from the ground of Fuku from the first week of the disaster. The other is I believe a high resolution flyover that we may or may not have seen before. If any one could open these and save them and screen capture shots of the SY it would be GREATLY appreciated

mms://stream.mod.go.jp/j/douga/saigai/fukushima01.wmv

mms://stream.mod.go.jp/j/douga/saigai/fukushima02.wmv

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Uh Oh...don't want to see a 6.2 Earthquake here!!! History Please don't repeat yourself!!

This in not good!!! earthquake.usgs.gov...

The weeks preceding the March 11, 9.0 earthquake --- they had a bunch of 6 + show up in the area.

In 1707 the Hoei earthquake stimulated both faults.
en.wikipedia.org...

This is why there was such a rapid push to shut down the Hamaoka Nuclear Reactor right away that sits right at the intersection of these two faults.

en.wikipedia.org...

Now if Mt. Fuji starts to awake again...just like in 1707...www.airies.or.jp...

"Happy Thoughts"...a distance memory?

Ooooohhh Shiiii....tttt!!!

On Edit: Mt. Fuji overdue...National Geo....
news.nationalgeographic.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Uh Oh...don't want to see a 6.2 Earthquake here!!! History Please don't repeat yourself!!

This is my fear, this Place/ Fault Line is the most dangerous Spot for Tokyo
and i think that "they" turn the Nuclear Plant into a cold Shutdown because of internal Calculations
and year long experiences with Tremors "and Volcanic Activities"!

It was a strong one even here in Tokyo and i do not return to my Futon!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Connecting dots is back., and he's right across the river from me. I am 20 miles closer to the Chalk river nuke plant, than he is. Oh lucky me ! For those who don't know Chalk had a meltdown in 1952. They dumped the mess in the Ottawa river, that separates Ontario and Quebec.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Human...my most sincerest thoughts and prayers for you and the rest of Japan. Hard to comprehend the amount and duration of stress you and your country are experiencing...and no end in site.

I remember the trauma of Three Mile Island....but soososososososo unbelievably insignificant to what is happening now to your country. Wish that action had been taken then to terminate world wide nuclear power...

As soon as the Honshu earthquake occurred...I started to research a precedent event...and discovered these two faults/tectonic plates are intertwined.

Hope this was just anomaly...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

22,000 becquerels of cesium 137 in "Cubic Centimeters" flows...

Hope everyone watched the demo on Cubic Centimeters!!

Highly radioactive water has been found in the basement of a building at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant near the storage facility for contaminated water.

The utility said the water contained 19,000 becquerels of radioactive cesium 134 per cubic centimeter, and 22,000 becquerels of cesium 137 ---

both very high levels
No SH!T...and 700 tons of it?

www3.nhk.or.jp...

OK mathematicians --- how many cubic centimeters are in 700 tons of water? And how many becquerels would that then be?

And what the hell "basement" are they suddenly discovering this ENORMOUSLY toxic water in?

I'm having a moment....forgive me...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Professor Tatsuhiko Kodama of Tokyo University Tells the Politicians: "What Are You Doing?"
(Part 1)(Part 2)(Part 3)

Professor Tatsuhiko Kodama is the head of the Radioisotope Center at the University of Tokyo. On July 27, he appeared as a witness to give testimony to the Committee on Welfare and Labor in Japan's Lower House in the Diet. Remember Professor Kosako, also from the University of Tokyo, who resigned in protest as special advisor to the prime minister over the 20 millisievert/year radiation limit for school children? There are more gutsy researchers at Todai (Tokyo University) - the supreme school for the "establishment" - than I thought. Professor Kodama literally shouted at the politicians in the committee, "What the hell are you doing?" He was of course referring to the pathetic response by the national government in dealing with the nuclear crisis, particularly when it comes to protecting children. Even if you don't understand the language, take a look and listen. He sounds sincere, and his voice is literally shaking with anger.

ex-skf.blogspot.com...

Nuclear Power 101 Explained by Arnie Gundersen p1 of 3

edit on 1-8-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
What Hiroshima and Nagasaki Reveal About What to Expect from Fukushima Nuclear ...
UB News Center

... a University at Buffalo biostatistics and public-health expert says that studies of health effects from those events provide some clues to the potential, long-term health impacts of this year's Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan. At the same time, ...
www.buffalo.edu...

Low levels my hairy white @ss!!!
We are not your fricken lab rats you @#$%^

edit on 1-8-2011 by rbrtj because: added info without a new reply

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

OK mathematicians --- how many cubic centimeters are in 700 tons of water? And how many becquerels would that then be?

And what the hell "basement" are they suddenly discovering this ENORMOUSLY toxic water in?

I'm having a moment....forgive me...

- Purple Chive

You beat me to it PC. I couldnt believe it when I saw it either. at news24.jp... they say a pipe from another building in the waste treatment, southend complex.

Tepco found 700 tons of highly contaminated water in the Waste treatment facility's Site Bunker Building basement. It is thought that the water flowed in a pipe that connects this building with another building where contaminated water is stored. Works had been performed to enable the Site Bunker Building to receive contaminated water but the permission to do so from the NISA has not been received yet.

The first thing that jumps to my mind is there isn't supposed to be contaminated water in that area except in the Centralized Waste Treatment building which was moved there from R1-4. The second is how could water be that contaminated when there is supposedly no fuel source in that area.

This is another 'water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink, or swim in, or fish in, or even look at' post.

It's especially strange when you consider that the trenches in that area are doing fine as far as overflowing goes. Below are the readings for the trenches up to 7/27 and this is a follow up to previous water post www.abovetopsecret.com... This list doesnt include the torrential rains that hit starting on the 27th. But it does include the rains from the earlier typhoon which started on the 19th. As shown in the pg 993 post, R1's basement levels rose 440 millimeters from the 19th to the 22. Yet the trenches in R2 and R3, which are fed from both rainwater and piped in water for the RPVs and SFPs, didn't rise much at all. This is especially strange for R3 where theyve been pumping in over 9 tonnes a day.
Distance from the top of the pit grating to the water surface.
(From TEPCO's press handouts)

Reactor 2 trench pit: From the 19th to 22nd, the level rose 47 millimeters.

7/27: 413 millimeters
7/26: 406 millimeters
7/25: 411 millimeters
7/24: 412 millimeters
7/23: 438 millimeters
7/22: 438 millimeters
7/21: 490 millimeters
7/20:506 millimeters
7/19: 485 millimeters
7/18: 469 millimeters
7/17: 446 millimeters

Reactor 3 trench pit: from the 19th to 22nd the water rose 49 millimeters

7/27: 265 millimeters
7/26: 259 millimeters
7/25: 254 millimeters
7/24: 250 millimeters
7/23: 252 millimeters
7/22: 252 millimeters
7/21: 275 millimeters
7/20: 302 millimeters
7/19: 301 millimeters
7/18: 287 millimeters
7/17: 276 millimeters

It doesnt add up at all. Somewhere water is discharging at a high rate. Where though?

PS. My mathematician friend doesn't even want to hear the word Fukushima ever again, so no help from him.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

serious earthquake activity at Fukushima today,
five magnitude 4.5+ earthquakes in less than 24 hours...

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Magnitude 4.6 - NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Magnitude 6.2 - NEAR THE SOUTH COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Magnitude 5.7 - NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Magnitude 4.7 - NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Magnitude 4.7 - NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If this wasn't the 1000th unbelieveable thing to come out of Fukushima, Id have trouble believing it. Just like the other 1000 things. But now this fits in just fine.

www.physorg.com...

Ogami said the agency had set aside funds in the nation's disaster reconstruction budget for a project to monitor "inaccurate" online information that may lead to harmful rumours against residents of Fukushima.....

The bid said the agency needed a contractor "to monitor blogs on nuclear power and radiation issues as well as Twitter accounts around the clock".

The contractor would be asked to "conduct research and analysis on incorrect and inappropriate information that would lead to false rumours and to report such Internet accounts to the agency", it said.

The contractor would then "publish correct information in question-and-answer format on the agency's website and Twitter account, after consulting with experts and engineers if necessary", said the call for tenders.

Asatsu DK, a major Japanese advertising company, won the contract for 70 million yen ($897,000) which expires at the end of March 2012.

I had to step back and think about this for sometime, how info like this could be put out to the public without someone at the news agency wondering, you know, like maybe 'WTF ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?' cause, you know, it seems like that might be a concern, since it's not everyday a government agency pays an advertising agency almost a million bucks a year to like, you know, help people understand intricate scientific data, 'CAUSE NOBODIES THAT STUPID!!!

Oh wait a minute, it's Ok, if there is a rare question about nuclear radiation, decay shine, prompt criticality, MOX fuel, plume dispersion, bequerel vs sievert, or some other issue that they don't have totally nailed down ahead of time they will do "consulting with experts and engineers if necessary". Boy, do I feel better

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

10 SIEVERTS...and we use to flip out about 900 "Milli"sieverts found in Rubble?

Originally posted by GhostR1der

10 bucks says that 10 sievert pipe, is one of the roped, barricaded and signed off reactor basement pump feeds, like this one that's over south east roadway of #4. Wonder what the high levels of radiation would do to those pipes - prepare for more leak excuses >_>

Ghost - Excellent!!

If you go back to page 773 on this thread...we use to think a foot of concrete containing 900 MILLIsieverts was significant.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

When I read about this "10 Sieverts" this morning at 4:30 AM...barely awake...I assumed millisieverts and so what?

But just like the revelation of Cubic Centimeter vs. liter...it is one of those "How do you wrap you head around this?" moment.

Is there anyway to visually demonstrate the difference between a millisievert vs a sievert?

The sievert (symbol: Sv) is the International System of Units (SI) SI derived unit of dose equivalent radiation. It attempts to quantitatively evaluate the biological effects of ionizing radiation as opposed to the physical aspects, which are characterised by the absorbed dose, measured in gray. It is named after Rolf Maximilian Sievert, a Swedish medical physicist renowned for work on radiation dosage measurement and research into the biological effects of radiation.

en.wikipedia.org...

"biological effects"....uhummmm....warm and fuzzy...

Thinking about a portion of Kryptonite as appetizer this evening...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

10 SIEVERTS...and we use to flip out about 900 "Milli"sieverts found in Rubble?

Originally posted by GhostR1der

Ghost - Excellent!!

If you go back to page 773 on this thread...we use to think a foot of concrete containing 900 MILLIsieverts was significant.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

When I read about this "10 Sieverts" this morning at 4:30 AM...barely awake...I assumed millisieverts and so what?

But just like the revelation of Cubic Centimeter vs. liter...it is one of those "How do you wrap you head around this?" moment.

Is there anyway to visually demonstrate the difference between a millisievert vs a sievert?

- Purple Chive

it would take 41+ days of exposure to 1 millisievert of radiation to equal the
exposure of one hour of 1 sievert radiation...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Of course, we wouldn't have ANY data, evidence, on whether the (quite close-by as I recall) CSFP building and its two very large and full (suspended above ground level I think?) spent fuel pools have been doing re: structural integrity, leaks, no photos showing the sides or underside of the pools?

Attached plumbing?

Oh, no, of course not. Perhaps that could be a source for the hot fluids?

The Reactors must be the prime suspects, so many gaps in data there IMO, BUT...I'm certainly adding this to my TEPCO fails to reassure me about the fate of the CSFP query list.

Leaks, ruptures flooding everywhere, it could be anything, when and how long it took to accumulate, if we knew that (as TEPCO surely must do), that would help wouldn't it?

edit on 1-8-2011 by curioustype because: typo

top topics

<< 991  992  993    995  996  997 >>

join