It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 992.htm
<< 989  990  991    993  994  995 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
There is a windows and Linux program to download mms:// streams here at sourceforge. Haven't tried it yet, but apparently sometimes gets a URL that it does not work on, but normally ok. .

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

N.R.C. Lowers Estimate of How Many Would Die in Meltdown

The conclusion, to be published in April after six years of work, is based largely on a radical revision of projections of how much and how quickly cesium 137, a radioactive material that is created when uranium is split, could escape from a nuclear plant after a core meltdown.

In past studies, researchers estimated that 60 percent of a reactor core’s cesium inventory could escape; the new estimate is only 1 to 2 percent.

One person in every 4,348 living within 10 miles would be expected to develop a “latent cancer” as a result of radiation exposure, compared with one in 167 in previous estimates.

www.nytimes.com...

Ludicrous! Wonder how much money this stupid six year study cost?

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

According to my Wife (i am not good in Kanji Reading) this is a Plan of the Exhaust Tunnel from the Turbines!

The upper Tiny Red Spot is the Weather Measurement Station

edit on 30-7-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-7-2011 by Human0815 because: add info

edit on 30-7-2011 by Human0815 because: clarification

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Angry Professor - And has a BIG Clue!!

Click "CC" (closed caption) for English subtitles:

Highlights:

"29.6 times the amount of radiation released at Hiroshima...and uranium equivalent to 20 Hiroshima bombs"

"Radiation from N-bomb decrease 1/1000 in one year...but nuclear power plant only decrease 1/10 per year"

Wish the idiots at the NRC would watch these videos.

- Purple Chive
edit on 30-7-2011 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
JAIF status report 29 July 2011

Summary and comment

Workers at Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s (TEPCO) Fukushima Daiichi nuclear energy facility in Japan will begin sampling gases inside containment at reactors 1 and 2 to obtain more accurate data on the types and amount of radioactive substances being released. TEPCO hopes that analysis of the samples will help determine the extent to which nuclear fuel from the reactors is leaking into containment. The gases will be extracted through pipes and analyzed on the first floor of the reactor buildings. Radiation measurements thus far have been based on readings taken on the facility premises. Sampling is scheduled to begin today at reactor 1 and in early August at reactor 2. TEPCO has not yet made plans for sampling at reactor 3, where radiation levels remain high. This is because TEPCO only began injecting nitrogen into reactor 3 on July 15 to minimize the risk of a hydrogen explosion. Nitrogen injection into reactors 1 and 2 began in April and June.

TEPCO plans to issue an updated roadmap to recovery at the Fukushima Daiichi facility in mid-August.

Latest load of old rubbish, this time from the Chemical and Engineering News

TEPCO said in mid-July that the first stage of a plan to cool and stably reduce radiation leaks from the damaged reactors had succeeded. The company is also sticking to a previously declared January 2012 timetable for a cold shutdown, which would prevent the evaporation of fluid used to cool reactor materials and prevent the escape of radiation.

Once the plant is in a stable shutdown, the focus will shift to removing radioactive debris and getting spent fuel rods safely out of the damaged reactors. A full decommissioning of the reactors could take more than 10 years, officials have said.

Simple really - the volume of water is already in a volume unit of measurement 1000 litres = 1 cu metre. But what that means as a hole in the ground, I dont know. If you want to use gallons then you have to know how many litres in a gallon and is it a US gallon or a UK gallon?

Wikipedia on Litres

The litre (or liter — see spelling differences) is a unit of volume equal to 1 cubic decimetre (dm3), to 1,000 cubic centimetres (cm3), and to 1/1,000 cubic metre. The unit has two official symbols: the Latin letter L in lower and upper case (l and L). If the lower case L is used, it is sometimes rendered as a cursive ℓ to help distinguish it from the capital "I", although this usage has no official approval by any international bureau.

The word litre is derived from an older French unit, the litron, whose name came from Greek via Latin. The original French metric system used the litre as a base unit, and it has been used in several subsequent versions of the metric system and is accepted for use with the SI,[1] although not an official SI unit — the SI unit of volume is the cubic metre (m3). The spelling of the word used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures is "litre"[1] and this is also the usual one in most English-speaking countries, but in American English the spelling is "liter", being endorsed by the United States.[2]

One litre of liquid water has a mass of almost exactly one kilogram, due to the gram being defined in 1795 as one cubic centimetre of water.[3]

edit on 30 Jul 2011 by qmantoo because: adding the volume bit

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Gorbachev, Reagan, Thatcher

What do you think would be happening in Fukushima today if these three leaders were still in place?

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Sorry I missed you last night.
I dropped in the link into Google and Translate came up with fgenpatsu.blog55.fc2.com...

edit on 30-7-2011 by rbrtj because: added info without a new reply

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Strong Tremor in front of Fukushima, 6,4 Mag.,
Plant is still there!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
woa this thread is still going?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

6.4 Earthquake on Cam

2:42 into this capture....pretty good shaking. Don't know how in the hell all the pipes etc. are still holding together.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Purplechive and others.Here is some intel on the location of plutonium separation and fabrication center I bolded the text.

Ending plutonium recycling, though, won't be easy for Japan. For starters, it would make a hash of the $20 billion that Japan has already poured intoa large plutonium separation and fabrication center in the village of Rokkasho, north of Fukushima. It has been the dream of Japan's still-powerful nuclear bureaucracy to ultimately base the country's electricity generation on costly plutonium-fueled fast-breeder reactors: Although economically uncompetitive with conventional nuclear power systems, shifting to fast-breeder reactors would free Japan from having to import so much uranium.

www.foreignpolicy.com...
There are 3 parts/pages to article

edit on 30-7-2011 by rbrtj because: added info without a new reply

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

New Stuff on Cam

Z - borrowing your pic from yesterday:

And compare with TEPCO cam now...www.tepco.co.jp...

New stuff right in front of the camera. Lastest 6.4 mag jiggle it around? Or did they do something?

On Edit: Think it's just the screen capture and too much scrutiny....

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by rbrtj

rbrtj - read the article this morning. Would be tragic if Japan continues to pursue anymore nuclear monkeying around. Would be wise to invest their intellect and ingenuity on developing "user friendly" energy production. Germany already advancing in this direction. Now if we could only get rid of the corruption in the USA....

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Satellite Photos

Don't know if there is anything new here - but thought I'd pass along...

www.facebook.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Test Unit 4 Cooling System

The work on strengthening the wall and setting up a cooling system ended on Saturday. Tokyo Electric Power hopes to test run the cooling system as early as Sunday and start full operation if no problem occurs.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Wonder if this is what the weird light show at night was all about for the past two weeks?

The following excerpt confuses me!!!

A similar cooling system is in place for spent fuel rod pools at the No.2 and No.3 reactors.

And NHK reported on May 29th that all the cooling systems had been restored for fuel pools 1 - 4.

I am soooooo, sooooo confused....?????

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Does this view of the plant help in locating the camera angle?

anyone ever see that report ,,i wonder,,???

p.s if you zoom in close,you can actualy see the steam venting from 3

edit on 30-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

ohh ya heres the fish they caught

edit on
30-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

i hope everyone reading what i have just posted realizes that for me to have posted these pictures would be against the law. in japan that is.
edit on 30-7-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

I'm working on finding out who is on what congressional committee and contacting them.

I'll post the names and contact info when I get it complied.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Good one Bob, I missed that report could you post a link please or tell us which site you found it at? Looks like one of the ones from cryptome.org. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

this sight is having problems I'll try again
edit on 31-7-2011 by rbrtj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Speaking of cryptome.org... I found this:

Thanks for the star on the above reply, I posted this image there and removed it all because it was to big, so I reduced then could not get it to upload.

edit on 31-7-2011 by rbrtj because: had to fix

new topics

top topics

<< 989  990  991    993  994  995 >>

join